Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   What Do You Miss About Your Former Hometown? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/what-do-you-miss-about-your-former-hometown-10115/)

redwitch 10-19-2007 09:49 AM

What Do You Miss About Your Former Hometown?

I've found many pluses to TV, but boy do I miss some things about the Bay Area. I was surprised that they weren't things like the views, the hikes, the restaurants and entertainment. (BTW -- Missing your friends doesn't count.)

Instead, it was REAL sourdough bread, Gallo Salami and the moon being closer. The other thing I think I will always miss is our annual camping trip to Yosemite.

Never thought it was possible, but I kinda miss our bugs -- they're so much smaller, but I do think Palmettoes are cuter than our cucarachas.

islandgal 10-19-2007 04:58 PM

Re: What Do You Miss About Your Former Hometown?

Redwitch. I am with you. I miss living on an island 2 miles wide and 14 miles long surrounded by Atlantic Ocean and Intracoastal Waterway. I miss the two-minute walk from my house every morning to catch the sunrise while walking on
the beach and going to the harbour in the evening to catch the sunset. I miss the smell of the Low Country (lagoons, marshes and live oaks dripping with Spanish moss). Very laid back atmosphere. There are many things I like here but guess we all have to go through an adjustment period when changing lifestyles.

bestmickey 10-19-2007 11:28 PM

When I do relocate to TV, I know I'm going to greatly miss the proximity to mountains. :'( I can currently get to the Adirondacks or into Vermont within 45 minutes. I'll especially miss this in the Fall.

jadebox 10-20-2007 06:39 AM

We lived in Crestview, Florida and I don't miss a thing. Our friends moved here and our sons already lived in the Orlando area. We had to travel 25 miles or more to go out to eat. If you went to a bar you had to be careful you did not get shot so we did not go. There were two below par golf courses--well I think they were--we did not play golf then.
It was a boring place to live.

Happy Villager 10-20-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestmickey
When I do relocate to TV, I know I'm going to greatly miss the proximity to mountains. :'( I can currently get to the Adirondacks or into Vermont within 45 minutes. I'll especially miss this in the Fall.

The Adirondack Mountains in NYS are absolutly beautiful no matter what time of year. The upstate area has numerous lakes and rivers along with NYS parks for camping or just picnicking. I also miss Mastranni's Italian Bread and Grandma Brown's Baked Beans! I still get the baked beans but I have to purchase them off the internet which makes them a lot more expensive.

Taltarzac 11-01-2007 08:40 PM

I was just back in Palm Harbor, Florida for a ten day visit. That's between St. Pete and Tarpon Springs on the FL Gulf Coast. They have some restaurants and/or meat shops I missed.

Lived in Palm Harbor for 9 years from 1996 through 2005. Really could not wait to get back to TV.

Do miss proximity to the Ocean. Had this proximity when we lived near Santa Rosa, CA (about 75 miles north of San Francisco).

zcaveman 11-02-2007 01:25 AM

What do I miss about my former home town?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! :beer2:

Hyacinth Bucket 11-02-2007 03:40 AM

This is a good subject - I have been given it a lot of thought. Decided it was best to show you what I will miss most

This is where we have Sunday Brunch with people from around the world, enjoy a Halloween party with more than 800 kids and adults coming for trick or treat - they love what they do each year, plus we see our son.

http:www.newpaltzhostel.com click on links and then click on Info on Mohonk Preserve and you will see the view we see.

This is where we go for walks and tea http://www.mohonk.com/

Our friends are lining up to come visit us and want to know how many can come at any one time. These are the people I will miss most.

Hyacinth Bucket

jtdraig 11-03-2007 12:35 PM

I grew up in the Hudson Valley (Poughkeepsie) and lived for a time in Highland. I used to love going over to Mohonk and hiking in the Mountrains.

I miss the New England fall. I miss the Vineyard. BUT, we have moved on and love living here.

Hyacinth Bucket 11-03-2007 05:28 PM

Sorry for the error, web site is

http://www.newpaltzhostel.com/

We were in Poughkeepsie last night, took one of the grandchildren to Chunky Cheese, went through Highland to get there.

The fall weather has been quite beautiful and the trees are still very brilliant with color.

Hyacinth Bucket

F16 1UB 11-07-2007 08:03 PM

Youngs Dairy between Yellow Springs and Springfield OH on route 68. Great ice cream especially after riding the bike path for 30 miles.

Steve

samhass 11-23-2007 03:59 AM

I miss my beautiful 7 year old granddaughter.

SteveZ 11-23-2007 01:44 PM

There's a local convenience store/market with the contracted open-part-time post office attached, along with the feed store. In the morning I'd stop there on the way to work for coffee and conversation with other "commuters" which included several local businessmen, a deputy sheriff or two, and the fire lieutenant from the firehouse across the street. Real small-town morning stuff, but those are the types of events that stick with you.

As far as missing the four-seasons (as a former New Englander and now DC-ite), that's why I have Discovery channel!

Hyacinth Bucket 11-23-2007 03:23 PM

Hi SteveZ,

In upstate NY these muti-task stores/offices still exist. In one town they operate the gas station, general store, post office and tourist info office.

I miss these rural areas.

Hyacinth Bucket

MMC24 11-28-2007 08:14 PM

Moved from Connecticut and I miss Good Italian food, Trader Joe's. vivid fall colors, quaint villages like Essex, Stonington, Litchfield. What I don't miss is taxes and snow!!