Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   What's the word on the new Flatbread Restaurant (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/whats-word-new-flatbread-restaurant-10122/)

sparky 10-20-2007 09:40 AM

What's the word on the new Flatbread Restaurant

Never having eaten flatbread we tried it last night with some friends. I had the steak and portabello. It was dry and the thin crust was crispy. Manager offered some beef juice but at $10 for a portion that would equal a third of a Philly Cheese steak I wasn't impressed. The outside bar appeared busy. Maybe they can make it on the bar but I'm afraid it won't be on our favored list.

REDCART 10-20-2007 09:43 PM

Re: What's the word on the new Flatbread Restaurant

I believe that you're referring to Urban Flats across from the Old Mill Playhouse in LSL. We came out of a movie last Sunday evening, and were looking for something light and simple, and found it was adequate. What annoyed me was the lackadaisical attitude of our server. We were there during happy hour but didn't know it until we heard someone at the next table mention it. We also waited about 20 minutes when we asked for our check. My wife might give it a better rating than I would but I'll close by saying that it's worth trying.

George

ashines 11-01-2007 03:14 AM

My friends and I tried it recently and we (6) thought it was great. Our server suggested we all try something different and share. It was a great way to get to taste a variety of things on the menu. The service was fine considering it was a very busy night.

jadebox 11-01-2007 11:18 AM

We tried the Angus Flat. Dry and tasteless. Next time we tried the Flat and Dips. Pretty good. I think the first time we made the wrong choice because people around us seemed to be enjoying what they were eating.

golfnut 11-01-2007 07:41 PM

We tried it and liked it, sorry can't remember what we ordered.

villager99 11-01-2007 11:54 PM

my first visit was last weekend. everyone in my party enjoyed their entree . flats are great for sharing. try the turkey brie and pear.
i imagine it would go well with one of their special glasses of wine. perhaps at an outdoor table so you could enjoy life on the square. if you prefer to entertain at home order online from go go gourmet and let them deliver.

kathyjohn 12-11-2007 01:01 AM

We have been to Urban Flats about 6 times since we got here 2.5 months ago. Love it. It's a nice change from the HUGE lunches and dinners served in many other places....like Two Jays. And it's nice to have some vegetarian choices. I also like a lunch that doesn't include "what would you like with your fries today?" I don't need all that meat, I certainly don't need all that fried food, and above all, I don't need all the bread. I think since there are so many new baby boomers moving into the Villages, the restaurants will have to think about going with a healthier fare, or at least healthier choices. Does anyone agree?

One slight diversion from the above....the chocolate fondue is wonderful. Served with fruit, angel food cake, and marshmallows. It's light and fruity and oh yes, chocolate!

TIGER 01-09-2008 03:23 AM

MY WIFE AND I EALLY LIKE THE PLACE. THE FOOD IS VERY GOOD NICE AND CRISPY WITH GOOD TASTE. OUR MEAL WAS LATE SO I COMPLAINED AND THE MANAGER CAME OVER TO APOLIGIZE AND GAVE US THE MEARL FREE OF CHARGE. NICE MANAGEMENT I THINK... TIGER

zcaveman 01-09-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGER
MY WIFE AND I EALLY LIKE THE PLACE. THE FOOD IS VERY GOOD NICE AND CRISPY WITH GOOD TASTE. OUR MEAL WAS LATE SO I COMPLAINED AND THE MANAGER CAME OVER TO APOLIGIZE AND GAVE US THE MEARL FREE OF CHARGE. NICE MANAGEMENT I THINK... TIGER

Just a note - in email/mesage etiquette, responding in all caps is shouting and it is hurting my ears!! :beer3:

nhsnowbird 01-12-2008 01:58 AM

We tried Urban Flats today ... enjoyed it. I had the turkey/pear/Brie flat and my husband had the tuna wrap ... we both were very happy with our choices. We ate outside to people watch ... we will go back. Have to agree with Kathyjohn that TV restaurants need to offer healthier foods.

gingersmom 01-15-2008 05:31 PM

We went to Urban Flats for lunch last Friday. The food was excellent as was the service, but boy are the prices high! We had an appetizer, a french dip sandwich and a chicken flatbread, plus 2 ice teas. With tip the bill came to $43.00. Expensive lunch.

Boomer 01-15-2008 06:14 PM

Those restaurant meals can get pretty expensive, but there was something that we learned pretty quickly when we visited.

We were strangers in a strange land but soon found that it is perfectly acceptable and even somewhat expected in a lot of places for you to ask to split an entree. Back in my neck of the woods, a server might stare you down for such a request. Of course, the cost of the entree has to be fairly high to begin with to accommodate splitting. But the math works out a little better.

You would think in TV where the herds can move so easily from feeding ground to feeding ground, the restaurants would want to take care of business in the best way possible. But I guess like everywhere else, it depends...

btw The most fun we had at Urban Flats was eating on the porch and watching the action at the bar.

Now for a general restaurant question: How many of you judge a restaurant's kitchen by how clean the restrooms and the entrance area are? -just curious.

gingersmom 01-16-2008 05:39 PM

Got a laugh out of the suggestion to split an entree! You've obviously never met or seen my husband. A meal is not a meal to him without an appetizer, entree and then desert. He looooves food. But I understand the concept and do split them with my girlfriends. I am always judging restaurants by the cleanliness of the bathrooms and will not come back to an establishment that doesn't take this hygiene seriously.

dadspet 01-17-2008 06:14 PM

Tried it once. Found it expensive and not very tasty - wouldn't be on our list of places to go back to.