Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   short term television serviceW (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/short-term-television-servicew-10145/)

nONIE 10-21-2007 09:39 PM

short term television serviceW

we are planning to come to TV for only 2 weeks and do not want to start up cable service. Would anyone know if rabbit ears antenna would work for local tv stations in TV or any other type of antenna ??? any information you can give us would really be appreciated. Hard to live without a tv for 2 weeks!!!!!!!

captain1202 10-22-2007 03:23 AM

Re: short term television serviceW

It is?? ???

Becky 10-22-2007 04:56 AM

I asked that question a few pages back and was told that rabbit ears do not work. Stations too far to pull in.

Becky

nONIE 10-22-2007 08:12 AM

Thanks Becky, sorry :redface: I didn t see your question. Im hoping someone might have some other info on how to get in some stations. Cant imagine being without television for a whole 2 weeks! What do you do after 9:00 Oclock? :dontknow:

handieman 10-22-2007 10:18 AM

If you are fortunate to have access to one of the unsecured wireless signals floating around TV, there are devices available to enable you to watch television on your laptop. I'm not going into detail in this post. Do a google on "slingbox" and read what they have to offer. Also google "watching television on your computer" lots of clever stuff out there.
Handie :joke:

784caroline 10-22-2007 12:37 PM

Nonie
i have been using rabbit ears for 1 year and the reception is far from acceptable especialy if you are a TV addict. Best signal is from I believe an ABC station and that is first thing in the moring, later in the evening, or 2-5 am. I even received advice from (2) electrical engineers who you may know who advised against investing in signal boosters and other things like that.

I believe Comcast has a limited service offer for $11 per month and after paying a $40 connection fee you total cost for a 1 year period would be approx $165 per year. That seems like a reasonable fee for limited service including all the major networks but not the speciality channels you may be used to on full cable. I will probably be going with teh limited cable service unless someone on this board tells me I am giving up something (ie a promotional rate when I finally move down full time and also get high speed interent.

Nothing is simple, but after a while you start to look for a reasonable approach to make things somewhat more comfortale during your short period stays at TV.

Good luck!