Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Trouble in Paradise (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/trouble-paradise-10266/)

efrahin 11-01-2007 01:36 PM

Trouble in Paradise

I have been reading a lot of posts regarding restaurants in TV. Does any one cooks anymore?. I do not like restaurant food and I am used to my wife homecooking, I am afraid that she may become infected with the anti-cooking virus once we buy in TV.

jadebox 11-01-2007 01:39 PM

Re: Trouble in Paradise

LOL Maybe you better start doing the cooking!! ;D

TV MAN 11-01-2007 02:03 PM

I bet TV has a cooking group. In there many activity groups. If not perhaps you could start one :joke:

Russ_Boston 11-01-2007 02:04 PM

Maybe this forum needs a 'Recipe' thread?

I'm sure that there are lots of interesting recipes and great cooks who visit this forum.

I think it would make a great separate thread that could be added to as time goes.

Admins?

efrahin 11-01-2007 02:43 PM

It seems that I stroke some sensitive issue here, out of 56 hits only 3 comments. Maybe the husbands are scare to say anything.

Cliff 11-01-2007 03:09 PM

My friend, I stand proudly beside you and agree with the idea that your spouse cooks a better tasting and more nutritious meal than any restaurant in TV. I, too, have to explain myself when asked why I don't want to go out to some local restaurant. It is a pain in the neck. This comment will probably put off a lot of women here - but - find a woman who likes to eat out all the time, and you will most likely find a woman who is not ranked among the good cooks in the area. And, because she and her husband are eating out in the "fat shacks" all the time, they will probably be overweight. I have been "heavy" all my life. But, my wife keeps me going by feeding me nutritious, low fat and low carb meals. Thank God for her and her caring. I would be the size of a blimp if I had married a woman who could not cook. Stick to your guns, my friend, you found one of the good ones. :bigthumbsup:

nanci2539 11-01-2007 03:20 PM

Well Cliff, I'm a woman and I like to cook and agree completely with you. Where I like an occasional night out, I couldn't do it more than a few times a month for the same reasons you outline.

My husband needs to watch his weight and actually lose a "few" pounds. It's been a battle for a long time. But he too would rather eat at home and he's a better cook than I am!

We're Italian so we know all about cooking up a storm but I sure don't want to spend my retirement years battling health issues. So, I plan healthy meals most of the time.

I watched the Today show yesterday AM and there was a great segment on "what causes cancer". They have scientifically proven that there are seven contributing factors. The no brainier like don't smoke wasn't even on the list because like they said, it's a no brainier but the first contributing factor was obesity, especially around the belly. It can cause an array of differnet cancers.

I'm lucky that I've been a healthy weight for most of my adult life but if I get on a trail of not eating correctly, I will gain weight.

So, hats off to you and your wife for paying attention to a healthy lifestyle.

And finally, it's amazing to me that people start to eat healthy after they develop cancer! My brother was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and he had a terrible life style of eating fast food most of the time. Now he eats healthy! Does that make sense?

Russ_Boston 11-01-2007 03:40 PM

Wait a minute - While there are many fine woman cooks let's not forget the men who enjoy cooking. I'm one of those! My wife and I will eat out sometimes and we usually take turns doing the cooking at home, but i enjoy it more than her.

MMC24 11-01-2007 05:46 PM

My wife and I go out to eat approx 3+ nights/week. Most times, it is with other couples for the friendship and camaraderie. The other nights, we prepare meals at home and share the duties but it is good to get a break from the cooking and cleanup routine. We raised 3 children and ate home most of those years now that we are retired, we are also retired from long term meal planning, food shopping and every nite food preparation. One of the main reasons we go out to restaurants (besides being too lazy to cook) is the variety of food choices. So that being said, our "Trouble-in-Paradise" is just so many places to choose from and more being added monthly , our "Trouble" is trying to decide. You just got to love "Paradise" at TV!!

beady 11-01-2007 07:16 PM

You all make an excellent argument for eating out as well as cooking at home.
In our case,after many years of cooking for a family I find eating out fun and relaxing.You get to meet people and be out in the community, maybe once or twice a week. We do not overindulge and eat responsibly. ::) ::)

jadebox 11-01-2007 07:27 PM

Most of the restaurants serve so much food that I take a lot of it home and have it for lunch for a couple days. I am not a big eater but love trying the different food. We also eat out 3+ times a week. I am a good cook but did it for enough years.

villager99 11-02-2007 12:17 AM

eating out or having restaurant food delivered also saves time wasted in overcrowded village supermarkets.
i really miss small city neighborhood special food shops where you knew the produce person and were in and out with fresh veggies and meats after a quick pleasant exchange

zcaveman 11-02-2007 01:10 AM

Both me and my wife cook and eat the majority of our meals at home. We were surprised to finds out the number of people that do not use a dishwasher or stove because they eat out!! I love the Food network and get a lot of hints and try them for our meals.

My biggest complaint s that the grocery stores do not package meat in a two person quantity. I do not want 2 lb steaks or 4 lb roasts. The roasts I can cut in half and make two of but the steaks never seem as good if cut in half instead on longitudinally (hope you userstand).

We bought a small chest freezer that fits in the laundry room so we can cut the large roasts and loins and ribs and chicken pieces into two people packages.

We also found out that eating out you get too much food and you end up gaining weight.

Yes - we do go out occasionally but do not make a habit of it like we did when we first moved to TV.

redwitch 11-02-2007 03:08 AM

Another one who prefers to cook. I will occasionally fix not-so-healthy food but, in the main, it is tastier, healthier and better proportioned than in most restaurants. Eating out on occasion is fun. Grabbing food from a fast-food restaurant is an occasional treat (yup, in our household, it's considered a treat ;D). Eating a home-cooked meal is the norm and even seems to be appreciated by my daughter and the neighbors I've shared some of my meals with since moving here.

captain1202 11-02-2007 06:50 AM

Although she likes to eat out occasionally, "beady" is a GREAT cook! :bigthumbsup: :clap2: