Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   VONAGE Internet Phone Service (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/vonage-internet-phone-service-10283/)

LG 11-02-2007 06:04 PM

VONAGE Internet Phone Service

I am trying to understand a little more about using VONAGE. Do you keep your existing phone number when you drop EMABARQ? Do you need just one adapter for multiple phones?

Bubbalarry 11-02-2007 09:11 PM

Re: VONAGE Internet Phone Service

Go to vonage.com and see if the phone number will work when signing up. The web page will ask questions and continue to the point where you put in the number and the page will respond.

Also you need an adapter/modem with either one or 2 telephone outlet jacks, plus ethernet/router connections.

They also have a wireless that will also do the job.

jadebox 11-02-2007 09:23 PM

Don't drop embarq until you sign up for the new service. If you drop embarq first then that number is no longer yours. I got mad at Embarq so switched my number to a cell phone. When it switched I did not have to do anything. Embarg automatically canceled us and sent a refund.

handieman 11-03-2007 12:16 AM

I have had Vonage telephone service for two years now and it's great. $24.95, talk anywhere, as long as you like, the bill is always $24.95.
You can keep your existing telephone number as long as its still in service. (double check with Vonage on this Embarq is a little different then some services I have dealt with.) You must have broadband internet service. Vonage will supply the additional modem at no charge capable of two lines. You just disconnect the wires from the existing telephone service outside the house and tie into you existing wiring via telephone modular cord from the new phone modem to your telephone distribution wiring in your home. Keeping your existing telephone number requires a bit of paperwork and time but its all worth the effort down the road. In case of power failure you can have Vonage call your cell phone till the power comes back on. Make sure you set up 911 when you get the service so that your 911 calls are routed to the local center. It's very comforting nowadays to know your bill is always the same no matter where you called or how long you talked. This feature alone has to be a plus for all the mothers and fathers and grandmas and grandpas in TV.
Handie :joke:

chuckinca 11-03-2007 01:48 AM

Handie:

What do you mean "talk anywhere" - doesn't vonage replace your landline phone in your house?

Are you referring to the ability to relocate the vonage modem equipment to another location (anywhere) and use it as a landline at second location?

handieman 11-03-2007 03:35 AM

By anywhere, I meant in the usa ,canada, virgin islands ( i think) and others at no charge and europe at a minimal charge. See Vonage.com for details. Yes vonage replaces your home landline system

Avista 11-03-2007 11:18 AM

We also have Vonage and love it. We pay $15/month for 500 outgoing minutes. Have never had the need to go over this. It is a good deal. We have been away for 2 weeks. I had my calls go to my email account. When I checked my email I could get my calls, return them, and take care of any pertinant business.

Barefoot 11-03-2007 11:32 AM

:agree: We've had Vonage for two weeks and love the unlimited long distance feature for $25. Embarq doesn't offer unlimited calling to Canada. We have two wireless phones and can use them anywhere in the house, very convenient!

bamafan 11-03-2007 01:07 PM

Barefoot, Who did you get your internet service with? If it was Comcast, how happy are you with them? Thanks

ouma1938 11-03-2007 05:30 PM

We have had Vonage for four months now and just love it. Its so economical, and works very very well, I love the unlimited calling and as I have family in England and friends in France and Germany, I love the fact that I can call all those countries, and other European countries, free as well. Its unbelievable. Yesterday I talked to my sister in London for over an hour, charge.....$0. Can't beat that!

LG 11-03-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handieman
I have had Vonage telephone service for two years now and it's great. $24.95, talk anywhere, as long as you like, the bill is always $24.95.
You can keep your existing telephone number as long as its still in service. (double check with Vonage on this Embarq is a little different then some services I have dealt with.) You must have broadband internet service. Vonage will supply the additional modem at no charge capable of two lines. You just disconnect the wires from the existing telephone service outside the house and tie into you existing wiring via telephone modular cord from the new phone modem to your telephone distribution wiring in your home. Keeping your existing telephone number requires a bit of paperwork and time but its all worth the effort down the road. In case of power failure you can have Vonage call your cell phone till the power comes back on. Make sure you set up 911 when you get the service so that your 911 calls are routed to the local center. It's very comforting nowadays to know your bill is always the same no matter where you called or how long you talked. This feature alone has to be a plus for all the mothers and fathers and grandmas and grandpas in TV.

Thanks.. great info.. Do you pay any taxes on your service? :super:

Bubbalarry 11-03-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handieman

Someone from Vonage told me that you can have upto 4 cordless phones with a base unit and that as long as you use a Vonage wireless adapter/router hooked up to a wall jack and the base unit of the phone sytem hooked up to the adapter. This is with a comcast wireless modem.

That you don't need an Ethernet cable to be attached to the adapter. Does this make sense?

handieman 11-03-2007 09:15 PM

Bubbalarry?
Although I have never done this, yes it sounds very doable to me. No rocket sceince needed to do this.

handieman 11-03-2007 09:29 PM

LG??
The only tax I see on my vonage bill is $1.75, forgot what its called. A far cry from the taxes jammed down your throat by cell companies and land line companies. I have seen some as high as 25-30% taxed. I dumped Embarq, they were charging me $55 plus and I had to pay for toll calls. I bought a very nice camera "tracfone" for my renters with double minutes for lifetime. $20.00 goes a long way with "tracfone" and if my renters need more time they just boogie on over to Walgreens and purchase a new card. Tracfone charges the same whether its next door or 3000 miles away :bigthumbsup:
Call me cheap, scotch, jewish or whatever I call it frugal and I get more for less ;D

samhass 11-04-2007 12:12 AM

Hey Handie, That's a great idea for the tracfone at the rental unit. I love it!!