Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf Cart insurance (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-cart-insurance-10329/)

784caroline 11-06-2007 04:36 PM

Golf Cart insurance

I have seen a number of accidents involving Golf Carts and remember a prior post even about a "burned out" golf cart. Is Golf Cart Insurance recommended and do most people have it?? If you have it, do you have just liability or property damage and Comprehensive? Is there a place in the VIllage that specializes on Golf Cart insurance and is it expensive?

From the little that I know, to be fully protected, a golf cart has to be part of your FLorida Auto policy and if you only have personal cars registered in another state , they would create a separate auto policy to cover your golf cart. A home owner policy would only cover you if you had a fire in the house and Homeowner liability would ONLY cover you to/from a golf course on a golf path...NOt a public street where cars are driven like a town square.

Apprecaite your thoughts on this subject!

gingersmom 11-06-2007 08:28 PM

Re: Golf Cart insurance

Get separate insurance for your golf cart. The insurance through your homeowners will not cover you for bodily injury and uninsured motorist. We have the same coverage on our cart as we have on my husband's truck. It's only $105 per year and we're totally covered.

Bryant 11-06-2007 08:39 PM

Wow! I pay $100 through my homeowner's policy and don't have coverage to speak of. Will have to check out premium through auto carrier.

784caroline 11-07-2007 02:11 AM

Does Villages Insurance offer this line of insurance or do you have to rely on your automobile insurance company to provide Golf Cart Insurance ...ie Liability?

If your $105 quote includes total coverage for a year, think that would be a bargain.

Barefoot 11-07-2007 02:42 AM

We were told by our local insurance company who handles our house insurance that they could not insure us unless we had Florida drivers licenses, (even tho our cart is not street legal.) Also if renters used our cart they wouldn't be covered. Our house insurance company suggested we contact Allstate who apparently is the only company who will provide complete coverage, without licenses, and it would also be valid for renters. We went to Allstate who insured us, no problem ... nice people!

The Great Fumar 11-07-2007 03:35 AM

I have two golf carts and the villages insurance covers them for liability for 50.00 bucks a piece.... In my opinion thats good enough really ....

fumar

another Linda 11-07-2007 03:38 AM

Barefoot -- Are you planning on renting your place and letting the renters use your cart? I've been keeping my head in the sand about insuring our cart, but I guess I'd better to something. I figured renters would be a real problem. -- Linda

Barefoot 11-07-2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another Linda
Barefoot -- Are you planning on renting your place and letting the renters use your cart? I've been keeping my head in the sand about insuring our cart, but I guess I'd better to something. I figured renters would be a real problem. -- Linda

Linda: I wouldn't drive our cart until we had the insurance in place. We don't plan to rent, but wanted to be covered just in case! Or if we let friends use our Villa and cart. Allstate doesn't have a problem at all with renters using the cart. Our insurance cost us $70 for six months (for a 2007 Columbia Par Car).

Fumar, perhaps you have a Florida driver's license? Our house insurance company would cover us, no problem, but NOT for renters and NOT unless we had a Florida license.

Love having a cart .. it is such a nifty way to get around!! Had it "detailed" today .. she comes to the house and does the complete cart .. easy peasy. :bigthumbsup:

784caroline 11-07-2007 01:05 PM

Fumar
Is the $50 premium per cart an attachment to your auto policy or a separate stand alone policy. What are you getting for the premium ... liability only or does it also include Property damage and comprehensive. Thats a great rate depending upon the coverage.

Barefoot
From my research, You donot need a Florida Drivers License to insure a golf cart BUT most insurance companys will create a separate Florida Automobile policy for your golf cart even if your car(s) are registered and licensed and insured as being primarily housed in another state.

jtdraig 11-07-2007 04:06 PM

It's covered as a separate line item on your auto policy. Mine through USAA costs $60. for six months which covers bodily injury, property damage, and physical damage. I'm probably a bit overilnsured but you never know who is out there...and they are.

Villages Kahuna 11-07-2007 09:53 PM

Separate Policy On Cart Only Is $53 A Year

Arranged by The Villages Insurance Agency, the same folks who did our homeowner's policy.

bfhowa01 11-08-2007 03:01 AM

I am a snowbird who keeps a car with Florida plates at our house in TV. In order to get insurance I needed to get a nonresident Florida drivers license. This was no big deal, all I did was do to the licensing place in Wildwood, pay them some money and have my picture taken. Don't let getting a Florida license get in the way if you need it for your golf cart.

bamafan 11-08-2007 04:05 AM

Insured my 2008 EZGO through The Villages Insurance for $81.00 for the year. I was advised not to put it on my homeowners as any claim would be adverse, also insured on my homeowners would only account for a maximum of $5000. in coverage. When I applied for golf cart coverage I was asked for Drivers License numbers and all just like purchasing car insurance.

784caroline 11-08-2007 10:28 PM

JTDRAIG
USAA wanted $165 every 6 months for total coverage on my auto policy!!

I just got golf cart insurance from the Villages Insurance in Spanish Springs. Liability, Comprehense, and Collision (w/ minimal deductible for $70 a YEAR......I could not believe the difference!! AT Villages Insurance they will ask you for your SSN, the cost of the Cart, VIN number as well as year and model.

I found out that USAA as well as many other insurers rate a golf cart under automobile rates whereas the Villages has a company that rates a golf cart as a recertional vechicle not subject to state licensing or insurance requirements. In addition if you ever do file a claim against you auto policy for a golf cart incident and its your fault, that will be mark against your auto policy and your total rates are likely to rise. Going with the villages was a no brainer even though I have everything else with USAA.

golfnut 11-08-2007 10:39 PM

Bama, you have a 2008 EZ Go, just curious, is it gas or electric? Did you buy it at the EZGO manufacturer store on 441?