Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Well, this is a real mystery. It is really troubling. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/well-real-mystery-really-troubling-10332/)

Talk Host 11-06-2007 06:43 PM

Well, this is a real mystery. It is really troubling.

I attempted to place a Talk of The Villages ad in the Villages Daily Sun. The ad was to thank all of you for being patient during our server problems and invite others to join the forum. They have flatly refused to accept it.

The advertising deparmtnet responded by saying "we decline to accept your advertising."
I called and talked to several managers. The only thing they would say, in answer to every one of my questions was "we decline to accept your advertising."

I ask why. Same answer. I said it was neither obscene or controversial. Same answer. I said it was unfair to our 3,000 members. Same answer. I asked what I could change in the ad to make it acceptable. Same answer.

What could be the reason? Is it because people on Talk of the Villages are free to voice opinions and that freedom of speech is not part of the master plan? I hope I am wrong.

This is really troubling. If anybody can find out what the reason is, I would love to know. We are all Villages residents and the Villages is located in the USA as far as I know.

redwitch 11-06-2007 07:31 PM

Re: Well, this is a real mystery. It is really troubling.

Sounds like a lot of insecurity and probably a fear that you might start an uprising with your site. It truly is a sad statement that they would be afraid to accept an innocuous advertisement even if they disagreed with the basic premise of the advertiser.

I have made the comment more than once that the Sun makes any paper I've ever seen in Orange County, California, look extremely liberal! And if you know anything about OC, you'd understand what a strange statement that is. Let's face it, any county that has one of its main airports named "John Wayne Airport" has to be this side of extremely Republican, wouldn't you say?

efrahin 11-06-2007 07:40 PM

I will recommend to every TV resident to boycot the Sun. That is free enterprise and democracy working at the same time.

Russ_Boston 11-06-2007 07:52 PM

The right of fairness is neither Republican or Democrat.

Let's hope their hesitancy stems from a competitive point of view rather than one of control.

Bryant 11-06-2007 07:55 PM

Declining the advertising. Wow! What are they afraid of? The truth. I advertise "talkofthevillages" at every opportunity. None of my neighbors have ever heard of it. In fact, I found out about it through a non-resident (an acquaintance who did the lifestyles visit in May.) I will keep promoting it whenever I can.

Talk Host 11-06-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efrahin
I will recommend to every TV resident to boycot the Sun. That is free enterprise and democracy working at the same time.

NO NO NO. I don't want to boycott the Sun. It's not fair to the advertisers. I never want to be accused of doing anything that might hurt their business. I just wish they would do the same for us

villager99 11-06-2007 10:23 PM

seems to me that there was an ad for totv in the daily sun just prior to our server problems so what has changed about their policy?

beady 11-06-2007 10:33 PM

Wow! That is really disturbing. I am as curious as you about the real reason to decline your advertisement.
Thing is I would defend their right to do so, but at the very least give a better answer than "we decline to accept your advertising"
I suspect they are feeling somewhat threatened by the success of the site , and the potential for an even bigger forum ,membership and influence.
I will not boycott the paper that is counterproductive and I like reading it. Boycotting will only lead to more animosity. But I will speak to people about the forum at TOTV and the shortsightedness of the Daily Sun.

Aurora 11-06-2007 10:40 PM

Wow, are we living in a town like that in "The Truman Show" or "Stepford" where you read only what the power behind the Sun decides? Scary indeed.

RCT 11-06-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora
Wow, are we living in a town like that in "The Truman Show" or "Stepford" where you read only what the power behind the Sun decides? Scary indeed.

Remember, though, we DO have options, with other hard copy papers, and, thank goodness, the capability do go online. As far as the legalities, they do have the right to do biz with whomever they want, and no, I am DEFINITELY not condoning their responses, just looking at it from all sides.

Talk Host 11-07-2007 12:17 AM

I whole heartedly support their right to pick and choose from whom they accept advertising. I just wish they would tell me why they have chosen us to shut out. We like the Daily Sun and the Villages.

A friend of mine in the Villages Media Group called this afternoon and said the order came directly from the top of the Villages managment. I have no way of knowing that for sure. Some time ago, I was approached by a reporter who wanted to do a story about Talk of The Villages, but told me the idea was rejected by the "boss."

I want all of our members to know that we hold absolutely no animosity toward the Daily Sun or anybody else. We think The Villages is big enough, with enough free thinking people that everybody can "just get along." We are not a threat to them, I don't think.

Hyacinth Bucket 11-07-2007 01:19 AM

I read this thread and must admit I had a hard time believing what I was reading. I then went to the Daily Sun and did a search for Lyle Grant Realtor, as I know he has a site on his web page for TOTV.

When I did a search, and then the Archive Search, his name did not come up - no information.

I know the paper is privately owned, and will represent what its view points are, but I can not imagine why they would not accept an ad from TOTV.

If you did a Letter To The Editor thanking everybody, (please excuse my lack of knowledge, we do not live in TV yet, and I am assuming they have this section), would they print a letter?

Hyacinth Bucket

zcaveman 11-07-2007 01:43 AM

I know I saw a TOTV ad in the Daily Sun. So it must be that they are screening the TOTV site and do not like the negative posts that they read.

I sent them a poem a couple of years back that was not Villages happy and they would not publish it. And when I asked why I got no answer.

Talk Host 11-07-2007 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman
I know I saw a TOTV ad in the Daily Sun. So it must be that they are screening the TOTV site and do not like the negative posts that they read.

I sent them a poem a couple of years back that was not Villages happy and they would not publish it. And when I asked why I got no answer.

Yes, we did run two ads several weeks ago. Apparently they came and took a look at us after the ads appeared. I am still at a loss.

Midge538 11-07-2007 01:40 PM

H. Gary likes to control his 'sheep' in TV. You: will support 'retail;' you will hate Hillary; you will love Rom; you will line up for 'openings' at 4:00 A.M; you will behave 'or else.' There is no room for dissent ... just try it!