Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Moving car to TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/moving-car-tv-10403/)

Peggy D 11-11-2007 07:20 PM

Moving car to TV

Has anyone had a car shipped or moved to TV? I know this can be done as part of the relocation package. Would like to know the cost.

We have a '64 Chevelle that needs to get to TV when we move (sooner or later)
Don't know if we trailer it down or have it shipped.

redwitch 11-11-2007 09:17 PM

Re: Moving car to TV

I had my Miata shipped from California to here. I just checked online for automobile transports, took one that was in the medium price range and was really satisfied. But my Miata isn't a classic and was on an open carrier. There are closed carriers, too. They took good care of my baby. The carriers can't actually go into TV itself -- you have to meet them in a parking lot outside of it. Usually takes about 15-20 minutes to unload, depending on where your car is on the rig and how many cars have to be moved.

My friends here are into classic cars. If you'd like, I can check with them to see if they use someone special for their transports.

Talk Host 11-11-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggy D
Has anyone had a car shipped or moved to TV? I know this can be done as part of the relocation package. Would like to know the cost.

We have a '64 Chevelle that needs to get to TV when we move (sooner or later)
Don't know if we trailer it down or have it shipped.

Have you checked the Amtrak Autotrain?

chuckinca 11-11-2007 09:47 PM

I also shipped a car from Calif to TV. I found a website that was tied into many auto shipping brokers. You put in your desired shipment date and locations and you get back about 10 quotes in about two hours. When I did it there was a truck parked down the street from me (in an industrial park) later that day to pick-up the car and it got to Fla in fives days. The driver unloaded it at Lowe's on 441 (as I asked he do) and he drove it to my mother's place in Orange Blossom to pickup the check I sent her to pay him. She drove him back to his truck (the most dangerous part of the trip for him) and he was on his way.

swrinfla 11-11-2007 09:53 PM

I have no idea as to how expensive it might be, nor whether your vehicle would even fit, but, when I moved to TV, my furniture, etc., was in a huge van, with at least one other person's stuff (headed for the Miami area). Included in that person's load was a Boxster! (Story was that she didn't want to do the drive, he feared any other means of shipping!)
My poor, sad furniture was very impressed with such high-class company! :joke:

redwitch 11-11-2007 10:05 PM

It's usually cheaper to get an auto transport company than move it with your furniture. I checked into this -- it was an additional $1,500 for the car when moved with furniture. I paid $850 to have it shipped, which is almost as much as the car is worth. rofl

Peggy D 11-11-2007 11:29 PM

Thanks everyone

This gives us some idea.

Jan, Autotrain is out of the question. This car can be driven, but I wouldn't know how it would be any long distance. Besides, hubby retired from Amtrak...he knows just how they do things!!

F16 1UB 11-12-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggy D
Thanks everyone

This gives us some idea.

Jan, Autotrain is out of the question. This car can be driven, but I wouldn't know how it would be any long distance. Besides, hubby retired from Amtrak...he knows just how they do things!!

Yikes - That's comforting to know Peggy.

Steve

Hyacinth Bucket 11-12-2007 04:08 PM

redwitch,

Did you ship all of your furniture etc. to TV?

Was the cost based on weight? distance? or both?

Thanks,

HB

chuckinca 11-12-2007 04:31 PM

Hy:

You can get a quote on line from here:

http://www.upack.com/moving-services...ce&nlnk=hvmenu