Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Canasta (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/canasta-10438/)

gfmucci 11-14-2007 03:58 AM

Canasta

Canasta is "a must" for my wife. I didn't see that listed among the dozens of activities in TV. Is there much interest in this game?

redwitch 11-14-2007 04:05 AM

Re: Canasta

There are a couple of games of canasta played in one of the rec centers -- if you call around, they can probably tell you about it.

However, there are 2 canasta players in this household (one is 20 but she's dang good), so if we can find a 4th or more ......

Avista 11-14-2007 11:45 AM

I love Canasta, but I play for fun. Went to the Pinochle club here once. They were way too serious for me, and I didn't go back. I couldn't find anyone to play Canasta with here, so got a Canasta program for my computer, and I play with it.

Russ_Boston 11-14-2007 03:45 PM

If you look in the club contact sheet here: http://www.districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pdf you will see two contacts for canasta inside TV.

I'm sure that after you've played in some of those meetings you'll meet others who have the same interest and develop some good home game contacts.

kar guy 11-14-2007 08:27 PM

CANASTA DOWN HER IS CALLED "HAND AND FOOT". THERE ARE SEVERAL VERSOINS OF THE GAME AND THEY ARE PLAYED EVERYDAY IN TV. TAKE CARE KAR GUY

chuckinca 11-14-2007 08:36 PM

So when you get a Canasta you call out HAND AND FOOT!

denise4466 10-23-2013 01:26 PM

There is woman who teaches canasta on Wednesday mornings at Captiva Rec Center at 9:00 am. We who have attended are interested in starting a regular game in our homes. We too have heard the one canasta game held in The Villages is not a friendly game. When we have enough people from the Wednesday group, we will reserve a Rec center room. If the original canasta group has changed and is now friendly to newcomers, please let us all know.

juneroses 10-23-2013 01:45 PM

Another canasta version, a variation of "Hand and Foot", is "Triple Play" and uses 3 hands ("hand", "knee", and "foot"). Look in the Recreation News under "Triple Play" for the venues.

Floridagal 10-23-2013 02:08 PM

Hand and Foot and Triple Play are what canasta players call baby canasta. Regular canasta is a game of more strategy. I play canasta and we play in the homes, but I do know some of the rec centers do have canasta. I believe Laurel Manor has a game on Fridays.

perrjojo 10-23-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denise4466 (Post 767475)
There is woman who teaches canasta on Wednesday mornings at Captiva Rec Center at 9:00 am. We who have attended are interested in starting a regular game in our homes. We too have heard the one canasta game held in The Villages is not a friendly game. When we have enough people from the Wednesday group, we will reserve a Rec center room. If the original canasta group has changed and is now friendly to newcomers, please let us all know.

Last I heard they were not welcoming to newcomers. Makes me wonder why they have the info in the rec news if they don't want new people.

Lynn222 10-23-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kar guy (Post 91521)
CANASTA DOWN HER IS CALLED "HAND AND FOOT". THERE ARE SEVERAL VERSOINS OF THE GAME AND THEY ARE PLAYED EVERYDAY IN TV. TAKE CARE KAR GUY

It is also called Triple Play and Samba. Each is played like canasta but with variations.

redwitch 10-23-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perrjojo (Post 767496)
Last I heard they were not welcoming to newcomers. Makes me wonder why they have the info in the rec news if they don't want new people.

If they're using the rec centers, they have to leave it open to all residents. So, they are forced to allow newcomers but not be happy about the idea and act accordingly. Stinks, but it is what it is.

Nancy13 10-23-2013 09:51 PM

I would love to play canasta with a friendly and fun group. I used to play with my mom, and before I came to the Villages.

Joanned 10-23-2013 10:14 PM

Hi
Glad to read this. I'll go to captiva next week and hope to join a group for canasta or hand and foot
Thanks

LynnDeb 10-24-2013 12:23 AM

I dont know how to play but would like to learn....anyone else interested in learning? I recently learned Mah Jongg also lots of fun and strategy...please pm me and maybe I can come aboard,
Thanks, Lynn