Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Club Meeting Sites Within The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/club-meeting-sites-within-villages-10450/)

optimist 11-14-2007 09:45 PM

Club Meeting Sites Within The Villages

Would someone please inform me where within The Villages a service organization group may have a monthly meeting if fewer than 5% of its members live outside TV? It is indeed frustrating being a member of a group who donates time, talent and treasure to such causes as childhood cancer, youth golf, Make A Wish of Florida, local teachers/students in mentoring/tutoring, and on and on and on....only to find there is no location within The Villages for meetings unless the club pays $$$$ for every meeting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :bow:

Frangyomory 11-14-2007 10:18 PM

Re: Club Meeting Sites Within The Villages

Our ladies club meets monthly and we do not pay for the room we use. However, we are having a Holiday party at Lake Miona and the Villages is charging us $75 per hour for the room.

As I understand it, you cannot use the Villages meeting rooms unless your entire group are Village residents. You can confirm his by calling or emailing John Rohan, head of recreation in the Villages.

When we hold our monthly meetings the person at the door of the rec center requests that we show our Villages ID and they sweep it with their little, practically useless, machine as proof you are a valid resident.

I was told by a member of the Deutcher Club that non-residents could not participate in the club but are welcome to march in the parade.

Go figure??? I am guessing it is because recreation centers are tied to our amenities they don't want non-paying; non-residents to use the facilities.

Have you considered meeting at one of your member's homes or at a location in the area in which one of the non-Villagers live??? Several communities around the Villages have meeting rooms available. You might want to try that.

Good luck.

The Great Fumar 11-16-2007 01:11 AM

Re: Club Meeting Sites Within The Villages

Frangyomor
You are right about the Rec center being tied to our amenitie fees..........You must be a member of the villages or a guest with a valid I.D. to enter a Rec. center...and the ( little machine) is tracing all those I.D. number's to be sure to place enough personnel to support us in these facilities...Its really a clever system and it keeps the city of Orlando from takeing up all our meeting rooms...their are over 450 clubs and organizations here and we don't have room to spare.......I'm sure RIPLEYS BELIEVE IT OR NOT would have a ball with this...............