Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Are the Villages Real Estate Agents Really Real agents? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/villages-real-estate-agents-really-real-agents-10456/)

Talk Host 11-15-2007 02:33 PM

Are the Villages Real Estate Agents Really Real agents?

Are the agents who work for the Villages and sell houses here, certified real estate agents, licensed by the state of Florida. Are they bound the the state real estate laws? If not, why not?

Peazoup 11-15-2007 02:52 PM

Re: Are the Villages Real Estate Agents Really Real agents?

Good morning -
I'm looking at a business card of one of the sales people. This person is a "sales and marketing representative", so I doubt that she's an agent. It would say so if it was so, don't you think?

Frangyomory 11-15-2007 04:10 PM

Many of the sales representatives are NOT realtors. If they are, their business cards would say something to the effect that they are board certified realtors.

bamafan 11-15-2007 04:21 PM

When we were planning our preview visit, I talked to our guest coordinator about what her job entailed as I found it interesting that she talked to people from all over the world. She told me that one of her qualifications to obtain her job, she had to have a valid Florida Real Estate license. Never asked the Villages Agent about his license, but you would assume that they too would have to be licensed by the State of Florida.

Talk Host 11-15-2007 04:21 PM

If they are not bonded real estate agents, then they are not bound by the rules of the state. Shouldn't prospective buyers be told that up front, or is it our responsibility to ask? Maybe we are just misreading what the information on the card says. Maybe Ssales and marketing representative" means, "certified real estate" agent and the buyer is really protected by state laws.

I hope that somebody who really knows the true "scoop" will post the information here. This is really, really important.

jadebox 11-15-2007 04:41 PM

To sell real estate in Forida you must be licensed by the state of Florida. You do not have to be a Realtor.
A real estate agent is a REALTOR® when he or she is a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®, The Voice for Real Estate® -- the world's largest professional association.

The term REALTOR® is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.

efrahin 11-15-2007 04:56 PM

Donna: "REALTORS® and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics" isnt this phrase a little oxymoronic?? LOL

Frangyomory 11-15-2007 05:43 PM

Like Honest Politician !!! LOL!!!

Bucco 11-16-2007 02:55 AM

Many of the sales representatives are NOT realtors. If they are, their business cards would say something to the effect that they are board certified realtors.
__________________________________________________ __--

I am not sure how anyone could say this with such conviction. There was,and I say was because I cannot speak for the present, but at one time.....even the lobby hosts had to have a real estate license in order to talk to folks about real estate. How could you say that the are NOT realtors ??????/

aford 11-16-2007 05:17 AM

you can be a real estate agent without being a realtor

The Village agents are Real Estate Agents.............They are not Realtors.

Talk Host 11-16-2007 12:18 PM

This one of the definitions of a real estate agent listed on the internet.
"An individual who can show property for sale on behalf of a seller, but who may not have a license to transact the sale and collect the sales commission."

A realtor is...."used for a real estate agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors.'

So, the question still remains, are the Villages agents licensed by the state of Florida?

Russ_Boston 11-16-2007 12:44 PM

Hmmmm, novel idea here:

WHY DON'T WE JUST ASK ONE OF THEM? Heck i don't live there but it seems like a no brainer. If you want me to call or e-mail one of them let me know.

ewstanley 11-16-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host
If they are not bonded real estate agents, then they are not bound by the rules of the state. Shouldn't prospective buyers be told that up front, or is it our responsibility to ask?

Talk Host,
That is an excellent point, shouldn't the buyers be informed?
When we were there we just assumed that our "real estate agent" was just that. I will have to find her business card. This is enlightening. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Liz

jjdees 11-16-2007 02:14 PM

What difference does it make? If you want to see the majority of TV resales, you'll have to go through TV real estate salespeople, licensed or not.

Talk Host 11-16-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjdees
What difference does it make? If you want to see the majority of TV resales, you'll have to go through TV real estate salespeople, licensed or not.

The difference that it makes is that every state in the union has developed a comprehensive list of real estate rules and regulations because it was so easy for unregulated agents to deceive prospective buyers. One important element in those regulations is "full disclosure." An agent must tell the buyer about ANYTHING that will or could affect the resale value of the home. Let's give as an example.....ah.......let's say.......ah........a freight train running within 1,000 yards of your home 48 to 60 times a day. A licensed agent is required by law to tell the prospective buyer about it, and even get it in writing. One who is not licensed doesn't care if the buyer gets hosed.

I personally cannot believe for one minute that The Villages would have unlicensed agents.

JLK