Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Vinyl siding (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/vinyl-siding-10471/)

sandi 11-16-2007 04:38 PM

Vinyl siding

I hear a lot about this vinyl siding problem. What went wrong?

travelstiles 11-16-2007 04:50 PM

Re: Vinyl siding

Sandi - thanks for the post. I'd like to know what the specific problems have been as well.

Pete 11-16-2007 05:05 PM

Vinyl siding is supposed to be installed using large headed nails and room left for expansion and contraction. The problem with the vinyl siding is not the siding itself but rather the way it was installed. They used staple guns which left no room for the expansion and contraction, the heads of the staples pulled through the siding during the exp. and cont. and left the siding loose.

There is no inspection required for siding insallation, thus, no one caught the installer.

nyclicker 11-16-2007 05:23 PM

Has TV done anything to correct this problem?

ewstanley 11-16-2007 05:30 PM

Thanks Pete.
I have had experience with faulty siding and trim installation here in Michigan.
It wasn't pretty.

chuck1940 11-17-2007 02:59 PM

I hear a lot about what a great job TV does fixing all of those minor problems. Unless I'm wrong the est 1,000 homes that have this siding problem are being left to the homeowner to fix. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Hyacinth Bucket 11-17-2007 03:44 PM

Thanks for posting this.

The problems with the vinyl sided homes - is it all homes they built and/or certain models?

Where did you find this information?

Hyacinth Bucket

chuck1940 11-17-2007 04:01 PM

This is from a previous post:
My take on things is that the vinyl contractors who sided homes in Duval probably did all of the homes South of 466 as well and if they've installed siding improperly in Duval, they've probably did it incorrectly on thousands of homes. Something else to think about.

Hyacinth Bucket 11-17-2007 04:35 PM

Chuck,

How can we find out which homes this construction company put vinyl on?
Is there a way of finding out the name of this construction company?
Can you visually see if they used a staple gun to put on the vinyl?

Appreciate if anyone can answer these questions.

Thank you.

Hyacinth Bucket

Reggie 11-17-2007 06:22 PM

Go to the property owners association of the Villages web site they have an extensive discussion on the siding problems in TV.

nyclicker 11-17-2007 08:02 PM

Here's the web site
http://www.poa4us.org/bulletins_file...tin200711.html

Hyacinth Bucket 11-18-2007 01:01 AM

Thank you for sending the website. I checked it out briefly.

Will have to do more research.

Hyacinth Bucket

Sidney Lanier 11-18-2007 04:26 AM

If it's known--as it seems to be--which vinyl siding company did such poor work, is there any way to find out exactly which homes/villages the same company had the contract for to do the vinyl siding? One would think that this would be relatively easy....

darbyduff 11-18-2007 05:05 AM

Hey Guys,

I live in Duval and regarding the sideing problem- I understand from many homeowners, if your home has siding and you are having a problem - just let your builder know and they are on it like slick on a door knob! Our neighbor had that problem and they called the builder with the villages and they were at their door in less than 3 hours and were fixing the problem 1 hour after that! Now that's fast!!!!!!