Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Tennis costs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tennis-costs-10497/)

gfmucci 11-19-2007 03:33 AM

Tennis costs

What is the cheapest you can play tennis for?

Is it free on the "basic" courts, or is there a court fee? If fees, what are they?

How available are the various types of courts?

Is there a system for matching up with partners, e.g. a rating of 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, etc.?

villages07 11-19-2007 01:44 PM

Re: Tennis costs

gf..... hard courts at the neighborhood and regional rec centers are free; you can almost always find an available court...they are not heavily used; there are some organized events on the hard courts but most of the serious tennis is played at Glenview and Lopez on the clay.

GV and Lopez...fees are not inconsequential....resident, non-priority is $10 per person for 2 hours of doubles during prime hours; as low as 4-6 per person at off peak and Sundays. If you play a lot, you can buy a tennis (country club) priority membership that knocks the $10 down to $6 and gives you access to the country club pools. Guest fees are higher than resident fees. GV and Lopez courts are heavily used from 730-330; less used in evenings and weekends.

Tim Farwell, head of tennis at Glenview, maintains a sub list by ratings 3.0, 3.5, 4.0; best way to get started is get on the sub list, play in a few groups, and worm your way in permanently into groups you like. Play here in TV is very friendly and sociable...most groups play a set and rotate partners each set. Very little singles here...mostly doubles.

They also have some social drop in events at GV...drop by the pro shop there...get the schedule and talk to Tim or the other staff.

Any more questions, let me know.

gfmucci 11-19-2007 01:48 PM

Thanks much, 07. That's about a complete a rundown as I've heard. I appreciate that!

784caroline 11-19-2007 02:11 PM

AS a person who owns a home in TV but unfortunately only visits throughout the year for about 7-10 days at a time, I can tell you that I enjoy the tennis (at a 4.0 level) and the ability to get a game together. Tim, the pro at Glenview, has really gone out of his way to make me feel welcome. NOw I have also helped him out when he is looking for players to fill in to play with people visiting on a preview package. If he knows you are in town, he will spread the word to the team organizers and you will get calls on your cell.
The mens open play at various rec centers is definitely more hit or miss. You get to meet alot of new people and they will welcome you but the tennis is uneven. WHat happens here is that you simply show up and sit along the fence ..when a 4 some is done with a set they sit down and the next 4 in line get up and play. Towards the end, players of similar skills may get together and for their own 4-some. Again these games are on a hard surface..tougher on the knees and much hotter in the summer /