Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Houses of Worship in the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/houses-worship-villages-75/)
-   -   For Villages Christians--When are you setting up your Christmas tree? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/houses-worship-villages-75/villages-christians-when-you-setting-up-your-christmas-tree-10571/)

Taltarzac 11-24-2007 01:51 PM

For Villages Christians--When are you setting up your Christmas tree?

Is not the Christmas tree lighting on both squares December 1?
I sure do like these polls. :joke:

jadebox 11-24-2007 02:02 PM

Re: For Villages Christians--When are you setting up your Christmas tree?

My Jewish daughter in law will get here tonight to decorate our tree. It is a tradition in our family for her to do the decorating of the tree. I love the tree but would rather someone else do the work.

Taltarzac 11-24-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna Lee
My Jewish daughter in law will get here tonight to decorate our tree. It is a tradition in our family for her to do the decorating of the tree. I love the tree but would rather someone else do the work.

Neat tradition. Must have been an interesting wedding to say the least? Assuming your son is a Christian?

jadebox 11-24-2007 05:08 PM

My son converted. They celebrate Christmas with us as a day for family. When her daughter married an Irish Catholic the ceremony was VERY interesting. If I remember correctly the minister was Protestant.

Taltarzac 11-24-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna Lee
My son converted. They celebrate Christmas with us as a day for family. When her daughter married an Irish Catholic the ceremony was VERY interesting. If I remember correctly the minister was Protestant.

Sounds like it was interesting. :agree:

zcaveman 11-24-2007 09:51 PM

Why is there no Dec 1 in the poll? Or Dec 1 and later?

My wife would have it all decorated now. I say Dec 1 is the earliest. And everything comes down before Jan 1.

Taltarzac 11-24-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman
Why is there no Dec 1 in the poll? Or Dec 1 and later?

My wife would have it all decorated now. I say Dec 1 is the earliest. And everything comes down before Jan 1.

After today 11-24 in the poll covers Dec. 1, I believe? :joke:

zcaveman 11-25-2007 01:32 AM

After 11-24 is too long a gap and before 12/1 is too early. I like Christmas but hate the way it is pushed further back into November.

Taltarzac 11-25-2007 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman
After 11-24 is too long a gap and before 12/1 is too early. I like Christmas but hate the way it is pushed further back into November.

True. I seemed to hear Christmas music in some stores on November 1.

punkpup 11-25-2007 09:57 AM

I'm not a Grinch but Christmas music before Thanksgiving is a bit much. :realmad:

I seem to remember being in Walgreen's the day after Halloween availing myself of the major candy sales and other Halloween junk markdowns. BIG MISTAKE!!!. As the Halloween stuff was coming down the Christmas stuff was going up. Then I realized that I wasn't hallucinating just hearing Xmas music so I decided to make a run for it!

No Christmas tree for us this year..... we decided that we would suspend the tree tradition until we have moved to TV.

swrinfla 12-01-2007 08:52 PM

I guess I'm old-fashioned :joke:

When our children were little, we waited until 12/22 or 12/23. Later, it was so much easier to do it slightly earlier. Now, as a widower, I stick with "no earlier nor later than the 18th, if at all possible." Comes down on Twelfth Night (01/06, latest).

Used to have a real, recently harvested, nine or ten-foot tree, complete with real candles. Now, a reasonably nice fake, with lights already affixed. I do still add decorations, but the whole process takes only two-three hours, whereas it used to be eight-ten hours!

Whatever and however: Merry Christmas to all! :bigthumbsup:

redwitch 12-04-2007 02:27 PM

Pre-Jessica, tree would go up around the 23rd. I tried waiting til then when she first came into my life but she would have none of it. That tree better be up right after Thanksgiving or she was going to go buy her own! I got the message. Now, the tree is usually up the second weekend after Thanksgiving.

nONIE 12-04-2007 03:48 PM

Donna Lee,

So happy to see your back posting! Enjoy reading your posts. Cute about your Jewish daughter in law, sure takes the stress off of you and its something she probably never got to do as a kid so its fun for her. Good solution :bigthumbsup: