Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Italian Beef & Chicago Dogs... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/italian-beef-chicago-dogs-10579/)

JRietz 11-25-2007 12:06 PM

Italian Beef & Chicago Dogs...

Big City opened Friday after Thanksgiving. I had a Italian beef on Friday and went back for a Chicago Red Hot on Saturday. The beef needed a bit of salt and the sweet peppers weren't quite right (maybe they needed to be cooked a little more), but it was the best I've had in FL... actually, it's the only one I've had. The dog was great and had the right toppings, including celery salt and cucumbers all on a Vienna poppy seed bun!

There are a number of other items which I need to sample soon: Italian Sausage, Meat Ball sandwich, Tombstone Pizza, chili cheese fries, tamales, and a garbage salad.

Big City is in front of the Walmart on 466 in the same strip as Starbucks. It's a welcome addition to the area as far as I'm concerned.

Jim

Taltarzac 11-25-2007 04:30 PM

Re: Italian Beef & Chicago Dogs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRietz
Big City opened Friday after Thanksgiving. I had a Italian beef on Friday and went back for a Chicago Red Hot on Saturday. The beef needed a bit of salt and the sweet peppers weren't quite right (maybe they needed to be cooked a little more), but it was the best I've had in FL... actually, it's the only one I've had. The dog was great and had the right toppings, including celery salt and cucumbers all on a Vienna poppy seed bun!

There are a number of other items which I need to sample soon: Italian Sausage, Meat Ball sandwich, Tombstone Pizza, chili cheese fries, tamales, and a garbage salad.

Big City is in front of the Walmart on 466 in the same strip as Starbucks. It's a welcome addition to the area as far as I'm concerned.

Jim

Thanks for the review. May try this restaurant out sometime. What's a garbage salad? :dontknow:

Donna 11-25-2007 04:57 PM

I never heard of Big City Restaurant..Is it a steak place?? What is the dish they are known for?? :dontknow:

Glad it opened near my house..

JRietz 11-25-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac
What's a garbage salad?

Garbage Salad: Mixed Lettuce, pepperoni, peperoncini, green peppers, black olives, provolone, and Italian dressing.
Two other salads: Caesar & Pecan (romaine, bacon, pecans, & honey mustard dressing).

Jim

Taltarzac 11-25-2007 05:12 PM

Quote:

Garbage Salad: Mixed Lettuce, pepperoni, peperoncini, green peppers, black olives, provolone, and Italian dressing.

Jim

That's a lot of....stuff. :joke:

JohnZ 11-25-2007 05:16 PM

Big City is in the Buffalo Ridge shopping plaza. Think I'll try a red hot for lunch after I hit a few golf balls.

JRietz 11-25-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
What is the dish they are known for??
Glad it opened near my house..

Top two items on the menu: Chicago Hot Dog & Chicago Italian Beef... ;D
I would say it is a typical Chicago style hot dog stand with pizza and salads... and a couple of NY items: Chili Dog (Coney Style) and New Yorker (hot dog - mustard, onions, and sauerkraut).

Also featured: Chicken Sandwich, Maxwell Street Polish, Johnsonville Brats, and Philly Cheese Steak. They also have party (bulk) selections.

The location is a real hike for me, but I understand they are thinking of opening more stores. This is making me hungry... I'm thinking brats... I'm out of here! :arrow:

Jim

Donna 11-25-2007 05:25 PM

Jim..Is this place a franchise?? I never heard of it...

JRietz 11-25-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
Jim..Is this place a franchise?? I never heard of it...

I had a quick chat with the order taker and she mentioned they were from Chicago and had moved to Westmont, IL - right next to Downers Grove where I lived. If they didn't have a stand, they visited enough of them to get the menu right. I am thinking they are "family" owned, but you never know...

Jim

Donna 11-25-2007 05:34 PM

Thanks Jim..Was curious, because I never heard from them..
:dontknow:

Glad there is another great place to eat...I love NY style food... 040

KathieI 11-25-2007 06:14 PM

Donna, are you thinking that this is our new business venture to open in TV - combining it with our "bar"?? Now that we know Red is such a good cook, we'll let her join our group.

Garbage Salad is a terrible name for such a lovely salad with all those good ingredients. We'll rename is appropriately.

rdhdleo 11-26-2007 12:03 AM

Well after 53 years in Chicago and the surrounding area I can say YEAH!!!! Big City is great! Just tried it and the Italian Beef was soooooo good. Hubby had the combo and it was great also. Can't wait to go back and try more. Yeah real Chicago style food, life now is better in The Villages :bigthumbsup:

golfnut 11-26-2007 02:31 AM

That garbage salad sounds great!!

chuckinca 11-26-2007 05:03 AM

And now for a real test, since I can't get to check out Big City until when we visit after Christmas, my brother is in TV now and I'll have him check out the Italian Beef Sandwich and let you know the verdict. He, like me, is an Italian Beef Sandwich expert having been schooled by Italian Beef from Pementie's of Roseland and Dadonie's of Richton Park.

HOPE IT PASSES THE TEST ! ! !

(The peppers better be just right, too)

JRietz 11-26-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

I had a quick chat with the order taker and she mentioned they were from Chicago...

Sunday, I had yet another talk with the order taker and she said they had a restaurant in Villa Park on Roosevelt Road - I forgot the name. It was not like Big City, though.

I had a great brat with kraut (very tangy) for lunch and brought home an Italian Sausage for dinner - it hit the spot even reheated.

Mom had a beef for lunch and thought it was a bit too chewy, but she did like flavor and the hot peppers.

Jim