Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Hot water (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/hot-water-10590/)

Bubbalarry 11-26-2007 05:43 AM

Hot water

Bought a Savannah Villa in Hadley Village and for some reason the electric hot water turned up high on the heater takes forever to get hot water in the master bath. Since they have water supressors and conservation rules on water and told what day to irrigate, you would think they would fix this.

I am being told this is normal, since the master bath is the furthest from the heater. Yes it is but 5 minutes is ridiculous.

Barefoot 11-26-2007 12:37 PM

Re: Hot water

:agree:
We also waste a lot of water waiting for the hot to kick in. (Is it just a Villa problem?) Water is a precious commodity; hate to waste it. Any solutions out there?

redwitch 11-26-2007 02:03 PM

Back in California's severe drought, I'd have buckets handy to catch the water while waiting for the hot water and use that to water the plants. A lot of work but at least my roses didn't die when everyone else's did and I didn't feel guilty about wasting water.

Bubbalarry 11-26-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot at last
:agree:
We also waste a lot of water waiting for the hot to kick in. (Is it just a Villa problem?) Water is a precious commodity; hate to waste it. Any solutions out there?

May I ask what section your in and the name of your villa. I am in Hadley Village @ Hillcrest Villas and according to the builder if enough compalints are submitted they may be required to add a circulating pump to get us hot water quicker since Florida currently has drought conditions and the villages must comply.

efrahin 11-26-2007 09:08 PM

Bubba: It is unbeliable that you have to wait up to 5 minutes for the hot water. How many people dont even have cold water to take a shower with. Count your blessings.

chuckinca 11-26-2007 09:28 PM

You shouldn't have the hot water heater on high - medium setting should be plenty warm.

Remove the flow restrictors - they are there to save water but if you have to run it for 5 minutes they aren't working.

Open the faucet all the way.

Make sure that the hot water supply doesn't have a partially closed valve at the heater.

samhass 11-26-2007 10:06 PM

We have the same problem. What a waste of precious water.

jadebox 11-26-2007 10:13 PM

We wait too long for hot water in our ranch home too. At the sink in the bathroom the water is hot before the shower.

Autoshow 11-26-2007 11:49 PM

When we purchased our home in the villages 5yrs. ago,they asked us if we wanted a water circulator,I asked what is a water circulator,they explained that it keeps the hot water constantly moving,then when turning on the hot water it is there almost immediately.
Naturally it came with a large price as an upgrade and we did not take it.
Being from the north and with a home with a basement and the pipes in a rather warm area we figured we would need not it,because after a pint of water or so the warm water would be there.
Here in the villages the water will go through the pipes under the concrete slab that the home sits on and the place in the home that is closest to the hot water tank will get the warm water first and if your kitchen sink is farther away as in our case it will take much longer.( about 2 gallons longer)
The developer of TV knows this is a problem and should have included it all new homes and charge us for the circulater and not left it to the buyer to make the decision because most of us from the north are not familiar with such things,but he wanted to keep prices low to get us to buy.
It is to late to get one installed now, and if it was possible the cost would be way out of line.
In the mean time I will continue to waste water waiting for the hot water to arrive.
Seeing that the developer was not more precise in educating us on this problem, they should not complain when we waste water, including watering our lawn when this home owner feels like.

golfnut 11-27-2007 12:09 AM

I too wait for hot water and the farther I am from the water heater the longer I wait, I've nerver timed it but I would guess the longest I wait is less than 2 minutes. Bubba, have you actually timed it with your watch, I know sometimes like when I'm on hold with someone it seems longer than it actually is.

JohnZ 11-27-2007 12:20 AM

Here's a tip. To get hot water to the shower faster, turn on the hot water faucet in the sink as well. Cuts the wait down from several minutes to 30 seconds. I'm not certain why this works.....but it does for us.

REDCART 11-27-2007 12:21 AM

We own a CY Villa. Our neighbor installed a mini-circulator (about $250 installed) on his bathroom pipes right after he moved in. He told me that it was on a timer and would only circulate hot water during the early morning hours. About a year later he mentioned to me that he stopped using it because circulating hot water caused his hot water tank to use more gas. So you might save money on using less water but lose some or all of the savings on the higher heating costs. But it can certainly be done after the original build.

conn8757 11-27-2007 01:16 AM

I live in Florida all year. In the summer, you don't need to turn on the hot water to shower, its really really hot already.

chuckinca 11-27-2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Here's a tip. To get hot water to the shower faster, turn on the hot water faucet in the sink as well. Cuts the wait down from several minutes to 30 seconds. I'm not certain why this works.....but it does for us.

Opening two faucets at once gives the cold water that is in front of the hot water two places to drain and you get hot water twice as fast.

golfnut 11-27-2007 03:40 AM

when i'm ready to shower i'll man the master bath and send the wife to turn on the kitchen and guest bath, i'll be done before i know what hit me. kidding aside i too turn on the shower and sink at the same time and it's ready asap.