Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   My Rant (and then I'll feel better) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/my-rant-then-ill-feel-better-106246/)

Cedwards38 02-26-2014 10:43 AM

My Rant (and then I'll feel better)

OK, I have to mention this pet peeve in hopes that some offenders will read it and maybe be a little more considerate of others. Several times in the last few weeks I have been in a situation where I am in a line to check out (Target, Barnes and Noble, Arden's Jewelry, Lowes, and Citizens First Bank where there were a number of people waiting to do business but one customer was obliviously engaged in a conversation with the clerk or teller that was completely inconsequential to the business at hand. Examples are: telling the clerk about a problem with another business, telling the clerk about how hard they had looked for the item they were purchasing, telling the clerk about the books they had read lately, etc. They were telling some story while a number of us were waiting(some more patiently than me I'll admit) for service. This is not the worst thing that can happen to someone, but please, notice when you are inconveniencing others and move along. Thanks. I feel better now. Comments?

marianne237 02-26-2014 10:48 AM

Amen.

ilovetv 02-26-2014 10:55 AM

Amen.

If people need more social contact, which many do, TV is perfectly designed for socialization and conversation at 3 town squares and dozens of beautiful recreation centers where a person can go and chat all day long, with different people every day of the week.

Of course a cashier has to be friendly and courteous, but they should be doing their job, first, for all customers in line, not just the needier one.

A grocery store, bank or post office line is a place of business, not a social hall.

justjim 02-26-2014 11:22 AM

OP, I hear you. There is a time and place for "long" conversations. Occasionaly I see something similar in restaurants---"long" conversations with the Server who needs to be getting our order and somebody's food.

This time of the year it's especially frustrating---but don't let it ruin your day. Patience is a virtue---good to remember.

Rango 02-26-2014 11:34 AM

Been there. Too much Jibber Jabber!

quirky3 02-26-2014 11:42 AM

Part of it may be a southern cultural thing. The very first week I moved to Florida from New England, I was in a line at Walmart and several people in front of me, the lady checking out was busy showing the cashier (whom she didn't know) multiple pictures of her grandchildren. No one else seemed surprised or annoyed. I'm not saying it's "right", but I think it goes with the territory.

SusanOfWoodbury 02-26-2014 11:42 AM

Did you talk with the manager of the store? Because if these clerks are talkative with one person and there are long lines, they will continue the behavior until someone steps in.

Just saying

jhrc4 02-26-2014 11:43 AM

Love this posting: How about this.

Waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts, Panera Bread et. etc. plenty of time to view what the choices are ...Then comes decision time when the clerk says the Magic Question, what would you like ?

And the reply is ummmm, aaaaa, ummmmmm aaaaaaa, oh gee, ummmmm, aaaaaaaaa, turns to the child and magically asks what would you like Johnny, Billy, Susie, etc. whatever, and there is more ummmmmmm, aaaaaaaa, gee I don't Know....Mommy, or Grandma, Of course most of the time without children and there is the same...ummmmmm, aaaaaaaaa, etc.

Please look at what is on offer, decide, make your choice before it is your turn and ORDER !

Cedwards38 02-26-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanOfWoodbury (Post 835656)
Did you talk with the manager of the store? Because if these clerks are talkative with one person and there are long lines, they will continue the behavior until someone steps in.

Just saying

I did not talk to the manager because I really believe the clerks were just being polite and the customer was the one initiating and sustaining the conversation.

CFrance 02-26-2014 11:56 AM

It's called lack of situational awareness--many people are just oblivious to what's going on around them. Same thing applies when there's a checkout line and the person waits till the total is rung up to get out their checkbook and start writing.

So many of us are too self-absorbed, as well.

I think the cashiers should be trained in a polite way to fend off the grandma showing pictures, etc., and keep the checkout line moving.

Bonnevie 02-26-2014 11:58 AM

I, too, have bristled over this and also people not making choice before getting to order taker at Panera, etc. I try to take a deep breath and tell myself I'm retired now and a few extra minutes are not going to matter to me.

perrjojo 02-26-2014 12:15 PM

I was checking out at Radio Shack when two separate people came up, and asked a question which required a bit of time to answer. This took the cashier away from my transaction while I just stood there. My peeve, people who think it's ok to butt in because they are more important.

justjim 02-26-2014 12:15 PM

Laid back culture

Quote:

Originally Posted by quirky3 (Post 835655)
Part of it may be a southern cultural thing. The very first week I moved to Florida from New England, I was in a line at Walmart and several people in front of me, the lady checking out was busy showing the cashier (whom she didn't know) multiple pictures of her grandchildren. No one else seemed surprised or annoyed. I'm not saying it's "right", but I think it goes with the territory.

The region of the country you come from does make a difference. Coming from a small Midwest town not that far from Kentucky---life generally was pretty laid back. When we moved north to a big big city---"things" were different. :crap2:

We might as well get over it---Florida is not New York, Jersey or Chicago. Thank God for that!! :pray:

MikeV 02-26-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhrc4 (Post 835658)
Love this posting: How about this.

Waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts, Panera Bread et. etc. plenty of time to view what the choices are ...Then comes decision time when the clerk says the Magic Question, what would you like ?

And the reply is ummmm, aaaaa, ummmmmm aaaaaaa, oh gee, ummmmm, aaaaaaaaa, turns to the child and magically asks what would you like Johnny, Billy, Susie, etc. whatever, and there is more ummmmmmm, aaaaaaaa, gee I don't Know....Mommy, or Grandma, Of course most of the time without children and there is the same...ummmmmm, aaaaaaaaa, etc.

Please look at what is on offer, decide, make your choice before it is your turn and ORDER !

You hit the nail on the head. This is one of my pet peeves. :rant-rave:

graciegirl 02-26-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 835667)
It's called lack of situational awareness--many people are just oblivious to what's going on around them. Same thing applies when there's a checkout line and the person waits till the total is rung up to get out their checkbook and start writing.

So many of us are too self-absorbed, as well.

I think the cashiers should be trained in a polite way to fend off the grandma showing pictures, etc., and keep the checkout line moving.

What an astute observation. So correct, and quirky3's as well. We are a little more social here sometimes in certain situations than we should be.

But mostly, it is a nice kind of interaction. Sometimes it is a lapse, not thinking of others.