Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   musty smell in my villa (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/musty-smell-my-villa-10627/)

breatheasy 11-28-2007 06:28 PM

musty smell in my villa

We keep a very clean house but i notice a musty smell when i turn our ac on. Has anyone had this problem and what can be done?
thank you

Skip 11-28-2007 07:49 PM

Re: musty smell in my villa

Quote:

Originally Posted by breatheasy
We keep a very clean house but i notice a musty smell when i turn our ac on. Has anyone had this problem and what can be done?
thank you

Is your AC off part of the year?

Skip

PJ 11-29-2007 12:55 AM

Have you checked your filter in your AC unit? It may need to be changed or cleaned (if it's the type that can be cleaned)

Also sometimes the venting throughout the house needs to be cleaned out. I had this done up North a few times over the years. The venting system collects all kinds of dust and stuff, and can develop a smell if not cleaned. I haven't yet done it since moving to TV, but if I do have to, I will try to find the type that vents to the outside, not inside with filters. Good luck!

Ice Cold 11-29-2007 01:37 PM

:bigthumbsup: I bought an electronic air cleaner installed on my furnace called a Trane Clean Effects. It is one of the best investments I have ever made. Before that I had some of the room ionizers that I bought off the TV and ended up selling them on Ebay. They didnt work. THe new filter has helped my allergies and kept dust down in the house.

JohnN 02-22-2008 12:40 AM

Ice Cold, what kind of maintenance does the Trane Clean Effects take?

handieman 02-22-2008 01:16 AM

Musty smells in HVAC units can be caused by many factors. First thing of course is check the air filter and clean or replace if suspicious smelling. I set aside the cheap washable plastic filter and bought a good quality filter available at the home improvement centers.
Next question is when is this Musty smell evident, during initial seasonal startup or is it constant? Startup smells can be normal for the first running.
It could be the A-frame cooling unit in the return plenum in your furnace has gathered dust on the fins and the combination of dust and moisture could cause the smell. In this case you need a professional HVAC service person.
Don't be shy about stopping and talking to a service facility about your condition and see what they have to offer. Good luck
Handie :joke:

handieman 02-22-2008 01:23 AM

PS on the before post
I had some friends years ago who left their home in Florida closed up and no air or humidity control for the summer. Upon their return the home was nearly inhabitable for the smell of mold. Needless to say don't leave homes in FL with out setting the AC for 80 degrees and add some moisture/odor absorbers around. These can be found at the home improvement centers

Barefoot 02-22-2008 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handieman
PS on the before post
I had some friends years ago who left their home in Florida closed up and no air or humidity control for the summer. Upon their return the home was nearly inhabitable for the smell of mold. Needless to say don't leave homes in FL with out setting the AC for 80 degrees and add some moisture/odor absorbers around. These can be found at the home improvement centers

Handie, can you comment on whether a humistat is required if you leave for the summer? :dontknow:

Thanks.

BF

JUREK 02-22-2008 11:33 AM

BF: The Ace right by you house has the humidistat for around $30 . very good investment
:bigthumbsup:

Barefoot 02-23-2008 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Handie, can you comment on whether a humistat is required if you leave for the summer? :dontknow: Thanks. BF

Hi Jurek, I appreciate the input re humistat. Guess for $30 it is a worthy investment!! I'll add it to the Fireboy's Blue List of things to do before he leaves. Strangely, he doesn't seem to appreciate the Blue List growing, and not getting smaller. :dontknow: He is enjoying his motorcycle and the archery course. :bigthumbsup:

Best
BF

handieman 02-23-2008 02:46 AM

Humidistat :bigthumbsup:
Ultimate protection when leaving your home for the summer

Barefoot 02-23-2008 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handieman
Humidistat :bigthumbsup:
Ultimate protection when leaving your home for the summer

OK Hand, thanks, you are my ultimate authority on everything!!! (Including nude swimming in TV)! Sorry Topicop. :cop:

handieman 02-23-2008 04:43 PM

I overlooked one important item in the search for a solution to this problem. This problem also is more common in the summer than winter. The drain pan that receives the water from the AC coils that extract moisture from the air can be a culprit. This collector pan drains into the PVC (plastic) pipe that they told us all to clean out with vinegar. The pan can become clogged with dust and not allow the water to drain down the outlet pipe, thus harboring dust and moisture that breeds musty smells. In most cases this area is accessible from a side panel on the HVAC unit. If in doubt call a pro.
One other thing about furnace filters. The plastic one that came with the furnace is useless and the fiberglass cheapies are almost as equally useless. I would suggest a medium priced waffle type to remove the dried skin, pet dander, dust, and pollens that are floating around inside your home
Hope all your problems go away ;D

samhass 02-25-2008 04:01 PM

Whether you're a snowbird or snowflake, ( going back and forth as the mood moves you)
a humidistat is an excellent little gadget to add to your home.
This snowflake turns on the humidistat every time I leave Florida.

golfnut 02-25-2008 05:09 PM

samhass, what % do you set your humidistat at?