Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Oysters (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/oysters-106316/)

Villager Dude 02-26-2014 07:01 PM

Oysters

We have a friend coming in from Charleston that likes raw oysters. I see some comments here about Magnolias and Rita's . Don't care about curb appeal but would like somewhat clean looking inside with great oysters.

Do not want to go to Ocala so would you vote for Rita's, Magnolias, or somewhere else ?

Thanks

casita37 02-26-2014 07:19 PM

Both places get good reviews, but I think Magnolia's location might be a little less desireable, both distance and neighborhood. I have never eaten at either one because they seem to usually have Texas oysters, which I do not like. It's a matter of personal taste, of course, but I much prefer FL oysters (not the panhandle). My favorite is east coast oysters (NC/VA), which your friends might be used to. That's what I grew up eating, and like I said, personal taste.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

lovsthosebigdogs 02-26-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casita37 (Post 835959)
Both places get good reviews, but I think Magnolia's location might be a little less desireable, both distance and neighborhood. I have never eaten at either one because they seem to usually have Texas oysters, which I do not like. It's a matter of personal taste, of course, but I much prefer FL oysters (not the panhandle). My favorite is east coast oysters (NC/VA), which your friends might be used to. That's what I grew up eating, and like I said, personal taste.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

What are Texas oysters like? I didn't realize there was a difference. I don't think I've ever eaten an oyster I didn't love. Just curious.

784caroline 02-26-2014 08:03 PM

Best deal around is to get a party pack of fresh oysters from Sweetbay. Thats about 50 oysters and you have to shuck them yourself but then you can also get the crowd involved with someone washing them, you shuck them, one person is cleaning up and then someone start displaying them on trays of ice.

We have done this a number of times and the oysters have always been GREAT...big Gulf oysters!

BTW Party packs go for approx $22..have seen the on sale for $19.

Markam 02-26-2014 08:08 PM

O'Shucks in Wildwood is another to try. On the east side of 301 just south of 44. Not fancy but good. Good burgers also.

Doctor Who 02-26-2014 10:01 PM

Oysters

If you have never been to Charleston and tasted the Oysters that they serve you will be hard pressed to find a duplicate. Better to tell your friend to bring Charleston Oysters with him. Nothing here beats the selection and taste offered at Charleston. In January, Mt. Pleasant (outside of Charleston) offers an Oyster fest....25 to 40,000 people show up for an incredible treat. Skip the search bring them down from Charleston.

casita37 02-26-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs (Post 835981)
What are Texas oysters like? I didn't realize there was a difference. I don't think I've ever eaten an oyster I didn't love. Just curious.

Oysters from the TX side of the Gulf are usually larger and have a different flavor. To me, they taste "chemical or metallic". They leave an after-taste. As you come east around to LA and over to the FL panhandle, the taste improves, as you go east, but it's not quite as good as once you get down into the west coast of FL, Cedar Key or Apalachacola. Pecks, over in Cedar Key, has great oysters. BTW, that makes a great day trip when you have visitors.

Bonefish sometimes has Chicoteague oysters...YUM!

Fresh Market has already schucked oysters from the Chesapeake Bay, too.

dewilson58 02-27-2014 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casita37 (Post 836066)
Oysters from the TX side of the Gulf are usually larger and have a different flavor. To me, they taste "chemical or metallic". They leave an after-taste. As you come east around to LA and over to the FL panhandle, the taste improves, as you go east, but it's not quite as good as once you get down into the west coast of FL, Cedar Key or Apalachacola. Pecks, over in Cedar Key, has great oysters. BTW, that makes a great day trip when you have visitors.

Bonefish sometimes has Chicoteague oysters...YUM!

Fresh Market has already schucked oysters from the Chesapeake Bay, too.

I agree with the metallic taste of TX.............a lot of people love them. I actually think the Northeast coast give the sweetest taste.....too sweet for some.

Villager Dude 02-27-2014 06:12 AM

Yea

Oysters in Charleston are awesome. I lived there for 5 years prior to coming to TV. We may have to pass on the Oysters because we cannot compete here with what he has there.

I try most of the time to avid items that a guest has in their home town. Is is like trying to find Asian food for an Asian person. It will never measure up if you order it here.

Thanks for all the responses.

Mike&Marilyn 02-27-2014 06:48 AM

We were at Rita's last night and had their oysters and steamed clams and found them both good. The owner of Rita's was a hoot, not fancy but clean , good service.

jojo 02-27-2014 07:58 AM

We like Rita's too. The guy was shucking them in the bar area - was noisy. He said they were Texas oysters. I had fried oysters and they were wonderful - bigger than most.

CFrance 02-27-2014 08:09 AM

I've been to Rita's (thank you, Kitty!) and had a dozen oysters for dinner. They were very good. On Thursdays they have a special on a bucket of oysters, but I don't know the price. A dozen oysters 8.99. Their web site is here ritasoysterbar.com

I didn't find the oysters to leave a metallic aftertaste, but I'm no connoisseur.

jackz 02-27-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markam (Post 835993)
O'Shucks in Wildwood is another to try. On the east side of 301 just south of 44. Not fancy but good. Good burgers also.

Another vote for O'shucks. It does not look like anything from the outside but has great oysters and bar food and is family run.

Wednesday is bucket night with 30 fresh oysters either raw or steamed for $15.00.

We have had oysters there from Texas as well as Louisiana. All fresh, cold and good tasting.

Bay Kid 02-27-2014 08:30 AM

This post made me homesick for my Chesapeake Bay oysters. I raise them myself in floats at the pier. I still have around a thousand growing ready to eat. They are the BEST! No dirt, plump and salty....
Thanks for the memories!

Richard1366 02-27-2014 10:57 AM

Try steaming the oysters on a flat sheet on your barbecue and covered with wet burlap, just cooks them slightly and opens the shell so you don't have to shuck them