Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Is a charge for Town Square Entertainment close at hand?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/charge-town-square-entertainment-close-hand-10649/)

784caroline 11-29-2007 03:32 PM

Is a charge for Town Square Entertainment close at hand??

Who really thinks that the daily entertainment we now have at the town squares will be free when the developer leaves?? It is no differnet than charging for tables and seats for New Years although that could be considered by some a safety or crowd control issue.

Be honest here, someone has to pay for the bands and DJs and they are not cheap. My bet is more likely than not we can expect another amenity fee (probably not until after 2010) like we have for recreation but this one will be for entertainment......AND rather than havings entertainment 7 days a week at each town square, it could rotate town squares to keep costs down.

Am I right or wrong :dontknow: ???

reshke 11-29-2007 08:46 PM

Re: Is a charge for Town Square Entertainment close at hand??

It was my,understanding that the local businesses paid for the entertainment, not the developer. It certainly results in a large increase in the number of people that might patronize their businesses.

iaudit 11-29-2007 09:52 PM

I would think that whoever owns the liquid refreshment stands would be willing to continue footing most of the bill. The local Sheraton has a band every Wednesday night, as well as veggies, cheeses and hor douvres. No cover charge and the drinks stay at normal prices with a $2 special on Coor Lites. There is a lot of money to be made on drinks.

gbronson 11-29-2007 11:06 PM

I seriously doubt there will be a charge for entertainment. It is the entertainment that draws crowds to the square and therfore the businesses that are there. I'm sure the rent paid reflects the cost of entertainment. How could they possibley charge you anyway, It's on a downtown street.

Galen

DDoug 11-30-2007 02:05 AM

Paying brings a thought to mind. When we pay our amenities fee why dont we get a break down as to what that covers. Shouldnt we know where the dollars are going. Lets ask this month and if they dont want to furnish you with an itemized invoice refuse to pay it. If they do and on for entertanment then the town squares will have to be close to paying customers only. That would be real interesting to see.

784caroline 11-30-2007 01:24 PM

So far there are alot of "understandings", "rumors", "he said/she said", "the Town square merchants pay", or even the "refreshment stands" pays.......but the real fact is NO ONE appears to really know who is paying for the entertainment. We (myself included) all assume this is part of the Villages lifestyle and it will continue forever but I see big RED flags on the horizon especially after 2010.

Taltarzac 11-30-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784caroline
So far there are alot of "understandings", "rumors", "he said/she said", "the Town square merchants pay", or even the "refreshment stands" pays.......but the real fact is NO ONE appears to really know who is paying for the entertainment. We (myself included) all assume this is part of the Villages lifestyle and it will continue forever but I see big RED flags on the horizon especially after 2010.

Doubt if they will start charging for entertainment on the squares because of the competition success often brings. The Villages is very successful it seems and other developers will want to get their own piece of the pie. So, unless the Villages in 2010 wants a number of people to move to new developments in the area, they will probably continue with the features that drew people to TV in the first place. Like free entertainment in the Villages 2 squares in 2007. 3 squares in 2010?

My guess is that the Villages pays the entertainers but that the rent the various liquor vendors pay for the spots on the squares is adjusted for the number of people coming for the entertainment i.e. it has probably been going up from year to year. Just a guess though.

DickY 11-30-2007 05:29 PM

Speaking of entertainment here is a link for what's happening at Spanish Springs for the month of December. http://thevillages.com/newsletter/20...ishSprings.pdf :beer2:

DugCave 12-01-2007 04:42 AM

How many people have went to spanish springs to view the entertainment on their first visit? I did and boy was I impressed. The entertainers were very good. Wow, I thought, disneyland for grownups. I believe this entertainment probably has sold more homes than any other feature of the villages. Having said that, I believe the owners use part of the revenue from sales of homes to pay for it. It could be part of thier advertising budget.

I doubt whether this will continue after all the homes are built and sold. It would be nice if the owners would comment on this. They don't have to since TV is privately owned and they don't have to answer to anyone. I'm sure some of the management watch this board and could reply. It would be a nice gesture.

drdodge 12-03-2007 02:54 AM

Sometime ago I went to the district office and asked the Question where do the amenities fees go. The answer was that they go to the developer,that he owned the pools and golf courses and most oe the rec centers and that he operated as a public corporation and that he did not have to open his books for anyone anbd that the money went to maintain these facilities.
drd

Eleanor 12-05-2007 01:45 PM

After reading about being charged for tables New Year's Eve, I have a feeling we will be charged for all special events and parades. We moved here for "free" entertainment. I think outsiders should be charged if they want to come into the Villages. See how fast the store owners etc. would start screaming. We should not be charged for tables. If you want a table, get there early and reserve it like before. All this is just getting out of hand. The lifestyle in The Villages surely has changed.

SteveZ 12-05-2007 05:05 PM

This will be interesting.

After the new house construction is completed/sold, the developer appears to still have a vested interest in the long-term success of TV. They still own the commercial areas, and the rentals of that alone is significant. They have the most control over resales by virtue of just being here, and that goes for rentals as well. The "districts" are like super-HOAs, and control of these is worth money, too.

I have a hard time accepting that "the family" is going to take the money made by 2010 and run, especially if there is a long-term profit potential, and that long-term profit potential is tied to keeping many of the social/entertainment aspects of TV running well.

Peggy D 12-05-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveZ
This will be interesting.

After the new house construction is completed/sold, the developer appears to still have a vested interest in the long-term success of TV. They still own the commercial areas, and the rentals of that alone is significant. They have the most control over resales by virtue of just being here, and that goes for rentals as well. The "districts" are like super-HOAs, and control of these is worth money, too.

I have a hard time accepting that "the family" is going to take the money made by 2010 and run, especially if there is a long-term profit potential, and that long-term profit potential is tied to keeping many of the social/entertainment aspects of TV running well.

:agree: I doubt "The Family" will walk away from TV. There is money to be made as you said.

golfnut 12-05-2007 07:07 PM

I doubt they will ever charge people who live in TV for the entertainment since the Squares are open to anyone. Not sure who pays now but I suspect between the merchants and the beer stands who benefit the most they will continue to pay in the future. If and when they start charging I would probably cut back my attendance, but I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

784caroline 12-05-2007 11:39 PM

Golfnut
If the developer starts charging (which is uncertain) it would be through some sort of fee structure...not a pay as you go. This was simply a "Thought Provocating' question as no one really knows who pays for the entertainment or How Much?