Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   The Villages - Changes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/villages-changes-10701/)

JohnM 12-03-2007 03:45 PM

The Villages - Changes

Over the past few weeks I have seen several comments from Villagers stating that things have changed substantially in The Villages in the past 6-8 years. My reading of the comments was that the authors felt that things had gererally changed for the worse (even though they still loved The Villages). A question for "veteran Villagers": What changes have you seen in The Villages in the past 6-8 years? Is the Lifestyle better or worse than it was 6-8 years ago?

John

drdodge 12-03-2007 03:51 PM

Re: The Villages - Changes

In the past 6 years the villages has tripled in size , as you grow there will be changes. Some people cannot accept change
drd

Bucco 12-04-2007 12:16 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the past 6 years the villages has tripled in size , as you grow there will be changes. Some people cannot accept change
drd

AMEN

JohnZ 12-04-2007 01:07 AM

I think we've all learned by now that change is inevitable with respect to most aspects of life. I don't think that TV lifestyle has changed. But, the reduction in income that the developer probably did not forecast may have a consequence for us in the short-term. If....and I say if.....the developer overbuilt some infrastructure in anticipation of continue high home sales....and carrying debt month-on-month....I would expect more changes. Take a good look....and try to the discern the existing points of revenue that the developer has. Some retail businesses, media advertising, home sales etc. Which of those revenue points provides the greatest source of revenue? It's not exactly gloom and doom...not by a long shot....but...some belt tightening is in order....and that will result in some changes. What form those changes take....better or worse....well......we can only guess.

Villages Kahuna 12-04-2007 02:33 AM

There Will Always Be Naysayers

Heck, I was one myself. Our little village in the woods on Chicago's North Shore was a bucolic place occupied by artists and gardeners. Our kids could ride the county roads on their bikes. Life was slow and good. It didn't speed up until I got off the train each morning in downtown Chicago.

But thirty years later the two-lane county road is now eight lanes wide with a 45 mph speed limit. All the vacant land now has office buildings on it. People are all in a hurry and less considerate and friendly.

I ran into a resident from the historic district a while back. She quietly complained that TV wasn't the same small, friendly place where Mr. Schwartz knew most of the people by name. She said they didn't mind being a little organized for their weekly trip to the nearest grocery store in Leesburg. She said it all began going downhill when they began the construction of the Spanish Springs town center.

Yep, the lifestyle she be a-changing. For better...or worse. That's all in the mind of the beholder methinks.

lm01 12-04-2007 11:57 PM

Think about it the people who bought in the Villages 10 years ago would have never imagined the Villages of today. It makes you wonder what it will be when it is built out.

Bigger is not necessarily better but that is what is on the way.

golfnut 12-05-2007 02:30 AM

:agree: Well said Barb.

Barefoot 12-06-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb1191
It's "Paradise" and all one could ever want for all the social activities. Have you ever seen such a "pristine" spread as TV? Every direction one looks, there's a beautiful view.
barb1191

:agree: It is paradise! As I drive around in my golf cart I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. I agree with Barb; although future changes will certainly affect The Villages as a whole, I think each individual Village will always retain the friendly "small town" feel. My only fear is that, at some point in the future, our amenities fee will sky rocket and TV won't be the same affordable place.

mzmom3 12-07-2007 12:46 AM

I think that those that truly love The Villages always will. Who said "you're as happy as you make your mind up to be?" I can't remember but I think it's true. This city has changed and will continue to change and sometimes that helps keep us feeling younger. Adapt and accept. I like that. *grin