Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What Christmas traditions do you keep alive? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/what-christmas-traditions-do-you-keep-alive-10725/)

conn8757 12-04-2007 11:49 PM

What Christmas traditions do you keep alive?

We have a lot of traditions with family and friends for the holidays. Christmas Eve we always have a Florida Cracker supper - clam chowder, crab legs, shrimp, oysters on the half shell. We put newspapers all over the porch tables or dining room table if it is too cold to eat out and "pig out". We usually do a gift exchange where we draw numbers, #l selects the first gift, opens it, and the next person can take #1's gift or a new one and so on. I forgot to mention the things above must be accompanied by plenty of "eggnog" or beverage of your choice to be really fun.

redwitch 12-05-2007 12:07 AM

Re: What Christmas traditions do you keep alive?

Sadly, we have to forego our Christmas tradition this year but certainly hope to do it again next year. We used to make a day of going to San Francisco. First, we would make small gift bags with a sandwich, pack of cigarettes, a pair of socks, a little bit of candy and cookies and a small fun gift. Then we would take BART (our rapid transit system) to the City. We'd pass out our bags to the first 10 homeless people we saw. Then we'd go and look at all the store windows, especially Saks with it's puppies up for adoption. By then, we'd be nice and chilly and head over to the Hyatt for hot chocolate. Then it was time to find an ornament for each of us for our tree. A late lunch and then back home.

The most magical time was when we gave bubbles as the fun gift. As we were walking back to get our hot chocolate, we walked through trails of bubbles. It was beautiful!

This will only be the second time we've ever missed doing it in the past 16 years. The first time was also because I'd had surgery and didn't quite have the strength to do it.

KathieI 12-05-2007 12:18 AM

I'm not much of a traditional Christmas person, actually I am not "fond" of the holidays, except that I have a 91 year old Italian father who is extremely traditional, almost to a fault. So each year, on Christmas Eve, I have to cook the traditional Italian fish meal of calamari with spaghetti with red sauce, baccalla (dried cod), flounder (if I can find it here in L.A.) and he loves my baked fish dish. I enjoy it so much only because he does.

On Christmas Day, he expects his Lasagna or Manicotti and a complete 3 course dinner with nuts and dried fruit at the end, and of course, all the pies I make, apple crumb, pumpkin and lemon meringue.

On the other hand, in my drinking days, my favorite Christmas tradition was Kahlua and cream, and enough of them until I could no longer function.... That's my idea of tradition.

Merry Christmas, Kathie

Donna 12-05-2007 01:36 AM

Kathi,

Your dad has the right idea of a Christmas.. :bigthumbsup:

Ask Dad if there is room for one more Italian....http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...cokesmiley.gifhttp://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...piesmiley5.gif

KathieI 12-05-2007 11:41 AM

Donna. Your new icons are great!! :bigthumbsup:

Are you kidding? You know how an Italian cooks, enough for 40 people!! Anyone who likes calamari is welcome, but they have to clean their own squid, not me....

When we're all in TV, imagine how much fun Christmas will be? Maybe I'll even get back some of the spirit I used to have as a kid.

Kathie

Becky 12-05-2007 12:33 PM

Snow all over the place here today. School delayed and maybe cancelled. Will probably have snow for Christmas. That is one tradition I hope to break when I finally move to TV!

Becky

KathieI 12-05-2007 02:06 PM

Becky, :agree:

That's why I moved to L.A. 30 years ago. I hate snow...
But I want 80 degree weather at Christmas, that's why I'm moving to TV. 040 040

Kathie

nONIE 12-05-2007 02:32 PM

Red, you are a very special person to give of yourself the way you do. As I have said before, you have earned your wings in heaven for sure! And dont tell me you havant!!!

punkpup 12-05-2007 11:46 PM

Our current tradition has been a huge buffet on Christmas day including friends and family. In the past we have had Christmas Eve parties for family + extended family to decorate the tree and exchange one gift at midnight then on Christmas day we have what we call the "Orphans Dinner" which includes family, friends and anyone who doesn't have somewhere to go. There is at least one gift under the tree for each and everyone.

:welcome: I look forward to hosting all of you when we re institute the tree decorating Christmas Eve party and the "Orphans Dinner" when we move to TV.

:welcome: wav :welcome: :clap2: :welcome: 040 :welcome: :hot::welcome:

conn8757 12-06-2007 12:58 AM

Redwitch - what a wonderful tradition - I haven't seen any homeless people up in the Villages unless you consider my husband & me wandering around there all the time wishing we lived there. There are plenty in Orlando, especially in the winter. The way the housing market is going, there may be more. But back to Christmas, you had a great tradition and such a great thing to pass "giving" onto your daughter.

Kathie - my traditions revolved around food too, because I had 4 sons in 8 years and they were always starving. They brought other starving friends home with them and still do even though they are now all grown.

Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. I will be spending mine with a new granddaughter scheduled to be born on December 12rh @ 5:00 pm. She will be named Mallory Rose. My 4th granddaughter in the past 3 years. We are all anxiously awaiting her arrival.

l2ridehd 12-07-2007 10:10 PM

This is a tradition my mother started many many years ago. Each year she would make about 50 homemade tree decorations all the same (hang them on a very small tree) and every one who visited her house during the holidays took one home. I now have enough homemade decrations, all different, to decorate an entire tree. I have kept this alive and do the same tradition. Last year it was reindeer from wine corks and this year snowmen. I have done this for about 10 years and people now want to make sure they come to our house to get this years decoration. I tried to insert a picture of them here, but was not able to figure out how to do it.

redwitch 12-07-2007 10:23 PM

You can just invite us over to get our ornament. :) That would work quite nicely. And what a lovely tradition.

784caroline 12-07-2007 10:41 PM

KathieI
I am a polock (first generation) and part of the (small) family married into the NYC Italian side and .....well lets put it this way, we always enoyed the (Italian)food during holiday's or for a regular sit-down (feast). Calamari was always a special treat. I could never get into "tripe" if that is how you spell it. I wish I could join you...I would bring some home made perogri's.

Bubbalarry 12-08-2007 05:02 AM

My father who passed about 30 years ago always had a Polish Vigilia dinner. I know its not spelled right but its close. I have tried to carry on his wishes.

We have all family members and friends over on Xmas eve for a special meal, without any meats. You must have an odd number of food items on the table and serve a plate for baby Jesus.

Those foods consist of vegetables and breads and includes the following at my house.

1. Baked Salmon Cakes
2. Baked Flounder
3. Pierogies (cheese, potatoes and sauerkraut)
4. Pickled Herring (Sledge)
5. Shrimp, served in many different ways. (Grilled,fried,sautéed as Scampi, and also we stew them in a beer with spices.)
6. Pastas
7. Salads (Caesars & regular)

I hope I didn't miss anything but what we do is serve OPATEK. Again this is a polish word probably misspelled but its what the catholic church uses for communion. I get it in squares and before everyone is seated and around the table I say grace. After I take a large piece of the OPATEK out and go to my wife who takes a large piece off for herself. After we each take a small piece and place it on our tongues we kiss wishing each other a Merry Xmas.

Next we both go to our children,grandkids, and then to other family and friends. Each one taking a piece and then on.

Now we serve dinner and wow what a meal.

After the meal I load up all the kids and we go Xmas lights viewing, making sure that its not more than an hour. This gives the wives,mothers,woman a chance to catch there breaths, have a drink, etc.

When I get home they have set the table for deserts. Pineapple Cheesecake, Cherry Cheesecake, Apple Pie ala mode, Pumpkin pie, lemon merange, & coconut pie.

Upon completion and while the ladies re clean the dishes I spend about a half hour getting dressed up as Santa Claus.

My grandkids are 5 so it looks like this will be the last year I will do it unless my family have more which isn't likely.

Then Santa arrives. Since we have multiple doors and a 1st floor bedroom I can change and go around to the front door with my Santa sacks with all the toys and gifts for my familly.

We start dinner at 5 PM and alls finished up by 9PM, after we are so beat my wife and I e see sugar plums dancing in our heads when we finally sleep.

Overall it's the most special evening of the year for my wife and I and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Donna 12-08-2007 07:07 AM

Bubbalarry ,

Sounds like a very special night for you and the family...It gave me such a warm feeling reading it.. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/godbless.gif