Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pickleball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/)
-   -   Private Pickleball Lessons using all the balls? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/private-pickleball-lessons-using-all-balls-107323/)

Vivii 03-07-2014 08:59 AM

Private Pickleball Lessons using all the balls?

First post: where does it go? Well, here is my question. Why not more info on "pickle ball court etiquette"--have encountered some bizarre moments-- group of people taking all the balls from a previously reserved pickle ball court to the nearby tennis court AND exchanging money with someone that appears to be the head of the "group lesson". Some how this doesn't ring true of the Villages tone.

Bogie Shooter 03-07-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivii (Post 841072)
First post: where does it go? Well, here is my question. Why not more info on "pickle ball court etiquette"--have encountered some bizarre moments-- group of people taking all the balls from a previously reserved pickle ball court to the nearby tennis court AND exchanging money with someone that appears to be the head of the "group lesson". Some how this doesn't ring true of the Villages tone.

Why didn't you go and ask what was going on?

Happy Snowbird 03-07-2014 11:48 AM

This happens weekly and has been reported to the rec center more than once. No action is taken. I don't understand why someone should be allowed to use TV facilities/equipment and charge for lessons. The lessons are not through the "college" because we've seen money being collected at the court.

Mikeod 03-07-2014 03:22 PM

I would suggest taking this question to John Rohan with dates and times. This does seem strange. Perhaps the local rec center staff doesn't think they have the authority to address this.

Topspinmo 03-07-2014 09:49 PM

Ok first! do the rec centers furnish balls? Fine this odd if they do or is it included in the amenities fees? Usually in racket sports you furnish your own rackets/paddles and balls. If the Rec center furnish them who signs them out? And how long can the be signed out?

Now for the people that left the court with the balls? how did you know they were furnished paddles and balls, are they marked?. Maybe they had they're own balls?

I would think that Rec center person who's responsibility of equipment would know the details of who had the balls and for how long they could keep them and if they gave up the every last ball. If so sounds like poor ball management IMO:shrug:.

Indy-Guy 03-07-2014 11:05 PM

The balls are provided by The villages Recreation Department as well as paddles and are available in the equipment shed. Although most regular players bring their own paddles but I have never seen anyone bring their own balls.

I would go over to the ball rack and pick up 5 or 6 balls if the ball rack is empty go pick up some unused balls that are laying on the court. They can't be using all of the balls at the same time. If anything is said I would ask them if they own the balls which they don't. If They say they do then I would go inside the recreation center where the courts are located and tell the person working there that there is a problem on the pickleball courts and you would like them to come and straighten it out.

I would be amazed if that doesn't solve the problem.

uprivergirl 03-31-2014 10:14 PM

Well it was nice to get an answer for a question I was going to ask. We are coming in May for a lifestyle visit and was wondering if we needed to bring our pickle ball paddles and balls. Looks like they are available. One less thing we need to pack. Can't wait to play some pickle ball in TV.

CFrance 03-31-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uprivergirl (Post 854453)
Well it was nice to get an answer for a question I was going to ask. We are coming in May for a lifestyle visit and was wondering if we needed to bring our pickle ball paddles and balls. Looks like they are available. One less thing we need to pack. Can't wait to play some pickle ball in TV.

They are available, uprivergirl, but they are very heavy, "dead" plywood paddles. If you are used to playing with a decent paddle, I suggest bringing your own.

The balls are provided by TV rec department. the supply gets a bit slim toward the end of the snowbird season. Lots of them get cracked, and some of them grow legs and walk off.

graciegirl 04-01-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 841329)
I would suggest taking this question to John Rohan with dates and times. This does seem strange. Perhaps the local rec center staff doesn't think they have the authority to address this.

I agree. Call John Rohan. He has the balls. I mean he is in charge of them.

You know what I mean. This isn't right. Those balls belong to all of us. This isn't pickleball etiquette. This is like passing the hat at art classes. Not evil or wrong but not exactly the rules either.

CFrance 04-01-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 854505)
I agree. Call John Rohan. He has the balls. I mean he is in charge of them.

You know what I mean. This isn't right. Those balls belong to all of us. This isn't pickleball etiquette. This is like passing the hat at art classes. Not evil or wrong but not exactly the rules either.

We've taken private pickleball lessons from one of the top players at TV. they do use the balls that are on the courts, but the lessons have usually been scheduled at the odd time when nobody else is on the court.

They shouldn't be taking up all the pb's. We've been playing on a court where a lesson was given behind us. After running out of balls, we just asked the instructor if we could grab a few of the balls, and she said Sure.

You only need one ball per court unless one flies over the fence or gets a crack in it. There should be some amenable compromise there.

uprivergirl 04-03-2014 12:56 PM

Well we have played with the plywood paddles they are not good but better than none if we don't have room in the suitcase.

Gracie you cracked me up.

We are counting the days until our visit. Can't wait to be in TV.

1379help 04-08-2014 07:26 PM

Looking for resale pickle ball paddles. Any suggestions
zkaye1379@gmail.com
Thanks

Ohiogirl 04-09-2014 06:14 AM

Think paddles have improved

We took lessons about 5-6 years ago with the rec center paddles, have since bought our own, but have noticed that the paddles at the newer rec centers seem to be a lot nicer than the old ones. Still wood, however.

There are also a lot of Villagers who bought their own paddles and rarely play, so if you have limited space when traveling, and don't find used paddles readily, you might ask some neighbors who might have some they are willing to loan you. Lots of players also have extra paddles they used to use or that they keep for guests. Same thing with golf clubs.

Ohiogirl 04-09-2014 06:16 AM

post here

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1379help (Post 858996)
Looking for resale pickle ball paddles. Any suggestions
zkaye1379@gmail.com
Thanks

Start a new thread stating what you're looking for, and bump it if needed to keep it up there. Lots of people have unused pickle ball paddles sitting around taking up space.