Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Garmin nuvi vs Street Pilot (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/garmin-nuvi-vs-street-pilot-10738/)

chacam 12-06-2007 01:05 PM

Garmin nuvi vs Street Pilot

Anyone know what the big differences are between the Street Pilot and the nuvi ? I know that the Street Pilot is a little larger. Any recommendaions from someone who might have used both?
The nuvi200w is less than $200 at Circuit City.

Thanks

ilovesoup 12-07-2007 12:16 AM

Re: Garmin nuvi vs Street Pilot

At Best Buy we got a brochure of all the Garmin products, very helpful. I personally have a Nuvi and love it because of the convenience of putting it in my purse or pocket. The Street Pilot is much more cumbersome. The Nuvi is more expensive but has more features. The brochure or going to www.garmin.com will give you alot of info. I found the best price at Amazon for my Nuvi.

rsetterlund 12-07-2007 04:52 PM

www.costco.com has the Garmin Nuvi 650 for $299.95, if you hurry, limited stock and on-line only.

golfnut 12-07-2007 04:55 PM

I have a nuvi 200 I just got at Best Buy for $170 and love it.

jjdees 12-07-2007 09:07 PM

Costco had the Nuvi 650 offering late last month and ran out of them quickly. It looks as though they've restocked them. if you're interested, I'd jump on it quickly. It's quite a good deal.

JanetandCarol 12-07-2007 09:37 PM

;DI just bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 and I'm still reading all of the directions that I downloaded from the Garmin internet. I researched the different models and prices and feel that the 350 was the best for around $325-350. Can't wait to try it in the Villages when we come down in March. Janet

steve0528 12-07-2007 10:08 PM

The Nuvi 650 is the way to go at that price! It gives you directions by street name...there is never a need to look at the unit, just listen to the directions. It also displays the exit numbers and street names well in advance, if you are a visual type. My 650 rerouted me around a HUGE traffic backup around Wash. D.C. last week. Being familiar with the area, I knew that the garmint was sending me the wrong way, but I followed the advice and was richly rewarded! Seeing the backup in the opposite direction for all those miles reminded me why I leave this thing active even when I know where I am going!!!

rsetterlund 12-07-2007 11:03 PM

Steve0528,

You have the extra FM traffic attachment? Is there a fee for the service? I just ordered the 650 from Costco, can't wait to get it. FYI Sears just listed a Visio 42 inch 1080P TV with digital tuner for $999.

steve0528 12-07-2007 11:15 PM

rs, no I don't have that upgrade, I just selected "fastest route" and the garmin did the rest. I cannot explain why this unit rerouted me away from the backup. Some internal feature saved me a TON of time. On 95 South, just before the beltway it recalculated. It had originally plotted the route as I had expected, when the reroute occured, I was skeptical..
I would not spend the extra on the FM..

lm01 12-08-2007 12:04 AM

Hi I Have both and can tell you I love the Street Pilot. It is far better than the nuvi. For 1 big reason it is simple to use easily updated to 08 maps and the 4 hour battery is a lifesaver.

I really think you will be very happy with it.

My nuvi has an MP3 Player and bluetooth capability and those features are just complicated to use. and no back up battery.

Stick with simple and I believe you will be happy.

Mapping in the Villages is good around the town squares and older villages but newer areas are not mapped.

jjdees 12-08-2007 01:49 AM

The Nuvi 650 is FM traffic compatible whatever that means and it has a 7 hour battery. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of different models if one was available.

steve0528 12-08-2007 11:17 PM

jj...
that "compatible" feature means that if you BUY the upgrade, that it will work! My 650 performed the same function, at no cost, simply ( I think...) because I chose the fastest route option. The upgrade costs between $150-$200 so I'd think long and hard about buying it. I'll try to experiment with my 650, and I'll share as soon as I can, but trying to reproduce will be difficult....

jjdees 12-09-2007 01:54 PM

Steve, I'll be watching for the results of your experimentation. My 650 is in the mail and I should get it just before Christmas. The upgrade doesn't sound like it's worth it.

schotzyb 12-09-2007 02:16 PM

Just got our 650 and will test it out next week when we travel from North Carolina to Pittsburgh, Pa. (wife's hometown)

steve0528 12-10-2007 02:14 AM

schotzy, watch closely for last minute reroutes..the garmin rerouted us when we were only about 2 miles from the beltway..