Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   dontcha just love those holiday x-mas letters? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/dontcha-just-love-those-holiday-x-mas-letters-10785/)

nONIE 12-09-2007 05:03 AM

dontcha just love those holiday x-mas letters?

How can peoples lives be so incredibily wonderful??? I for one get very tired of the perfect lives that friends and family tell me about each Christmas. And yes, I wouldnt mind hearing some of the bad stuff thats going on too! This just is not a perfect world and frankly it drives me a little crazy. :chillout:

Anyone elses comments will be welcomed. However, I think that TV people have very little to complain about, after all, they are living in Paradise right???

redwitch 12-09-2007 12:35 PM

Re: dontcha just love those holiday x-mas letters?

Fortunately, I don't do Christmas letters. I got one from a friend once that had me dying laughing even though I knew everything she wrote was true. I don't remember the wording but she bragged about her son who dropped out of high school, her mother who was on her 5th marriage to her 3rd alcoholic husband, her daughter who thought joining a commune and having babies would be a wonderful idea, how liberating it was to break an arm and not be able to write a check (and how much fun it was to tell creditors she'd pay as soon as the cast was off probably in another 3 months).

But, yes, I agree those letters are nauseating, especially if your year has been not-so-stellar. Maybe you could turn this thread into having everyone write an honest annual holiday letter?

Barefoot 12-09-2007 03:45 PM

Nonie, you are a hoot. This must be the controversial post you were talking about! ;D
I know what you mean ... I have a cousin that sends pictures of her teenagers along with a two-page letter detailing all their triumps: "A" students, stellar atheletes, musical, gifted, loving, thoughtful and popular. Does the word "bragging" come to mind? :chillout:

I love getting "real" Christmas letters talking about normal lives, with ups and downs, but written in a positive or humourous way. If it is done in the spirit of sharing honest life experiences with real friends, I feel closer to that person as a result.

Kinda like a lot of the posts on TOTV. Thanks to you all for sharing. ;D

KathieI 12-09-2007 04:11 PM

I get a kick with the people who send these letters to me, and I just saw them yesterday and know the whole truth!!! Does that happen to anyone else??

Rip them up and throw them out!!!! >:( that's my motto.

Red, if that letter was the truth and not you joking around, I was :a20: Kath

carole131 12-09-2007 09:16 PM

You just reminded me that we're "in" for at least two of those! Thanks for the humor. You know, on the positive side, our eyes get good exercise when they roll at these missives! Happy holidays, everybody!

punkpup 12-09-2007 10:24 PM

1rnfl Well ...... I don't know. If I thought about it and really did decide to write one of those letters people might think I was either Scrooge, The Grinch, a whiner or suicidal. As a friend of mine says, re. life "It is what it is". These days I may feel more like crying but heck laughing is a lot healthier.

Considering the alternative.... I could be takin' a dirt nap. :yikes:

:hot: I'm just happy to be alive 040

kregski 12-10-2007 04:28 PM

Happy Happy Joy Joy

another Linda 12-11-2007 02:52 AM

I think I must be the only person on the face of the earth who likes to get those letters. The ones I get tend to be from old friends that I don't hear from very often but that I want to keep track of. The letters are usually funny, self depreciating, involve things I can relate to, and I really enjoy them. And here comes the confession, I write them too! Or I make my husband write them because he is funny (says things like "Linda thinks the sun rises and sets in Madeline -- spelled grandma's a sucker ..."). I don't suppose my friends would ever say they hated getting them though.

nONIE 12-11-2007 04:13 AM

Linda, Im really glad you enjoy your friends letters, really!

I tend to be on the scroogy side when it comes to the holidays. Be happy your not like me and you can enjoy them ;D

carole131 12-11-2007 11:58 PM

I just got my first one for this year. The husband had his job changed after 38 years of service. I hope he can adjust. I expect he can. His wife is at the finalization of a very bad situation at her workplace. A bully pushed the situation all the way to a hearing. It seems as though that will turn out alright, after 2 years of turmoil & stress. This type of letter lets us know that we are not alone in our troubles, & to send good thoughts toward our friends. The "bragging" letters haven't arrived yet. I'm steeling myself. ::)

algi45 12-12-2007 12:06 AM

If you don't like them, just throw them out. What's the big deal? I enjoy getting these letters from old friends and acquaintances.

JohnN 12-12-2007 12:16 AM

Well, I enjoy them. Those that I receive do have the good with the bad, illnesses and relatives in the war, etc. Life is a blessing, I enjoy each day.

Merry Christmas

nONIE 12-12-2007 02:05 AM

Algi & John N,

No big deal really, your just fortunate to be getting letters from totally honest people. I wish I could say that. ::)

another Linda 12-12-2007 03:57 AM

Wow! I'm not the only one who likes them? I'm not really warped? (ok, maybe I'm just warped in a different way). Nonie, I'll send you a copy of the best one that I receive. How about that?

Avista 12-12-2007 02:25 PM

I enjoy my Christmas letters too. We've moved so much, and I love staying in contact with my friends. Christmas seems the best time to do this. I appreciate each and every one of them.