Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   leaky shower (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/leaky-shower-10848/)

bigrichie 12-13-2007 04:28 PM

leaky shower

hi, I'm up in woodbury, been here for almost 5 years now. we are having a problem with the shower in the master bathroom, it is leaking into the wall. had a contractor here saying that a lot of people are having the same problem, & are getting the villages to remedy it. am not sure how to go about doing that, and am wondering if anyone else is going thru the same thing, and could advise. big richie

gonzy 12-14-2007 02:42 AM

Re: leaky shower

I had same problem with a house built in 91 had to tear it out 4 ft up and replace wallboard and base tile. I was not impressed with the building techniques used they were to code but for another 40 dollars it could have been done to last. Cement board in the walls instead of blueboard and using cement blocks for the riser instead of pressure treated lumber as well as a one piece marble cap instead of tile would have prevented the problem of water entering through the tile and wicking down the 2x4's into the wall. Don't know what techniques they have been using lately or if you can get villages to pay for it but I can't imagine being able to go back after 5 years. Make sure you get it done right the second time. Good luck.

Sidney Lanier 12-14-2007 01:47 PM

When we had our house inspected prior to purchasing it (no, I don't know if he was a 'licensed' inspector; he just came recommended...), one of the things he pointed out was that the grouting in the master bedroom shower was wearing out. He did not find any evidence of a leak through the tile into the wall, and he was pretty thorough. One of the first things I'll be doing is re-grouting and applying a silicone water seal. True, the grouting shouldn't be deteriorating after only a few years, but hopefully this will prevent any further problem and is a relatively simple fix.

bigrichie 12-16-2007 11:48 AM

thanks for the replies & advice, our shower is leaking thru the lower pan, & the contractor feels its either improperly installed, or he says he has seen some installed without the pan.

bigrichie 12-21-2007 02:13 PM

we called home warranty, & had them come out to look, the man that they sent Robert Locke was very personable & is a great Representative of the villages, determined that the tiles behind where the enclosure were cracked where the lag screws go into the tile to hold up the enclosure. he determined that it was done on installation, so it was done improperly from the start. don't give up on your home warranty, its good for 5 years on some things, hopefully this fixes the problem, & thanks to the few that replied. big richie