Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Fitness Swimmers? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/fitness-swimmers-10865/)

Russ_Boston 12-14-2007 01:41 PM

Fitness Swimmers?

Anyone on this board a fitness swimmer?

My wife is very interested in how this activity works down there.

How often do you go? What time? How many laps? Which pools do you use and how many meters/yards in a lap? Are there any instructors? Is the water warm enough year round? Do you use the wellness center indoor pool at all?

How about the VAST - Any members here?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Russ

villages07 12-14-2007 02:01 PM

Re: Fitness Swimmers?

Russ,

All outdoor pools, sports and neighborhood, heated to 82-85 during the colder months. Plenty of opportunity for year round swimming.

Sports pools, limited to residents only, are 25 meters and have lanes set aside at different times of day for lap swimming. I go to Lake Miona sports pool once or twice a month...never a problem getting a lane to swim laps.

Neighborhood pools are approx 65 feet long..ok for laps, but not long laps.

There are some excellent swimmers in TV, as evidenced by their performance in the Senior Games. VAST primarily 'practices' at Mulberry Grove sports pool, I think.

Not sure how big wellness pool is...does cost for a membership and the outdoor pools are certainly useable year round.

Your wife will have endless opportunities to swim.

villager99 12-14-2007 04:15 PM

i don't know the exact measurement but the wellness center heated indoor pool and the regional rec center outdoor sports pools are similar in length and set up.
water aerobics and volleyball and water walking are big in tv so pools have formal schedules to assure lap swimmers get time every day year round. i swim slow leisurely laps but there are enough lanes set up to accommodate varying levels of swimming.

rekops 12-14-2007 10:20 PM

Russ
I am a member of VAST. VAST is a group that participates in competetive swimming.
We practice 3 times weekly and are coached by professionals. We travel to various senior swim meets throughout the state. There is currently a waiting list to join this group.

There is open lap swimming at all of the sports pools. The pool at Lake Miona is listed as a sports pool, but is a poor place to swim laps. There are no lines on the pool bottom. At least, there were none last year when I swam there. TVs has never corrected the problem for some unknown reason. Hope this helps

garsha 12-15-2007 02:35 AM

rekops,
Do you have a sports pool that you recommend?

rekops 12-15-2007 02:09 PM

I like Laurel Manor