Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cabinet door handles (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cabinet-door-handles-10882/)

Bubbalarry 12-15-2007 04:19 AM

Cabinet door handles

This may sound like a silly question but I gotta ask it. Recently purchased a Savannah Courtyard Villa in Hadley Village.

What I found crazy was that not one cabinet or drawer throughout the villa had a handle. In the kitchen, bathrooms, everywhere.

Now is this normal? Are handles for drawers,cabinets and so on something TV don't install ever.

Since we have seen many properties prior to purchase have never taken the time to check this out from Premier, Designers, etc homes.

samhass 12-15-2007 04:40 AM

Re: Cabinet door handles

I had to buy 72 handles for my Bridgeport model home.

iaudit 12-15-2007 05:14 AM

I also bought and installed knobs and handles on all of the cabinets in my two bedroom ranch.

Donna 12-15-2007 09:14 AM

My Patio Villa had all the handles but I didn't like them, so I changed all of them..

MSNPA 12-15-2007 03:46 PM

We have the Gardenia and there was not one handle or knob on any of the cabinets throughout the house. We purchased and installed around 50 handles and it makes a world of difference.

Avista 12-15-2007 03:55 PM

I once had a kitchen without handles on cabinets. The thought was that they would be easier to clean. Open by touch and pulling bottom of door.

Hope2b 12-15-2007 04:01 PM

I did not handles on my cabinets of my CYV. Did not add them because doors were easy to open. Only downside was that on one cabinet the finish was worn where I kept opening it.
Here in my ranch I have them because the people who owned it before installed them. They look nice but I catch myself opening the doors without using the handles like I did before. Bad me!!

villages07 12-15-2007 06:23 PM

We have pulls and knobs on all kitchen and bath cabinets in our Lantana designer home. I always thought it was pretty standard here, but, now guess not.

beady 12-15-2007 06:41 PM

Not a knob or handle to be found in my Juniper.
I also thought it odd.
Still can't decide whether to add the hardware or not.
I am afraid the heavily used cabinets will start to show wear from the use without a knob.
:dontknow:

Bubbalarry 12-15-2007 09:20 PM

Thank You all for your replies. I now feel tons better knowing that my question wasn't silly after all. That TV cut corners to save $$$$.

When I arrive in a couple weeks I will need to add them. Loews/Home Depot here I come.

Would anybody care to install them for me?

Frangyomory 12-15-2007 09:21 PM

I COULD make a joke about missing knobs but I'll let that go!!!! We bought a courtyard villa and first thing I noticed was no knobs/handles on any of the cabinets in kitchen or baths. We hired a guy and he bought and installed knobs to match our counter tops. I am delighted to have them. Changes the entire look for a few bucks and I don't know why the builders didn't include them. ???

Becky 12-15-2007 11:09 PM

My ranch in TV has knobs, but when I redid my kitchen here in Ohio, I decided to forgo knobs. Reason being it is a galley kitchen and the knobs made it look to "busy". Didn't realize some homes in TV didn't have knobs!

Becky

chuckster 12-16-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbalarry
This may sound like a silly question but I gotta ask it. Recently purchased a Savannah Courtyard Villa in Hadley Village.

What I found crazy was that not one cabinet or drawer throughout the villa had a handle. In the kitchen, bathrooms, everywhere.

Now is this normal? Are handles for drawers,cabinets and so on something TV don't install ever.

Since we have seen many properties prior to purchase have never taken the time to check this out from Premier, Designers, etc homes.

When building in Central NY, bought and installed my own knobs after trying "no-knobs" (also known as pulls) for 6 months. As someone else pointed out, we tend to remove the finish from the doors with repeated contact at a certain opening point on the door.

No knobs gives a cleaner neater late 90's look to the cabinets. However, we selected knobs for our designer 4 years ago (was an option), and again for our second home that we moved to 3 years ago. Design input was still an option for our second home. Even with our own choices both times, there were still items that were missed and we would have done different. Believe me, those were 3-4 stress filled days for each home, sometimes lasting until early evening with the design people. Leaving very little time for "happy hour". Everything was a choice beyond the basic structure. It included roof lines, shingles choices and everything in the interior from appliances to ceiling textures to corners, paint choices, cabinets. You name it, everything inside the shell including windows, insulation, window sills, etc. Now you see why we needed an extended "happy hour".

Having said all that, it should be pointed out that we have seen many "spec-houses" that incorporate everything we would ever want at less stress. Have the wife convinced that we won't move again. At least she has me believing that. :) :)

Sidney Lanier 12-16-2007 02:03 AM

When we bought our (resale) Bougainvillea (sp?) recently, we learned that the knobs that are on our kitchen cabinets had been an option rather than standard when the house was built. From the sound of the thread, fewer homes were built WITH cabinet knobs than WITHOUT them. Odd, we thought, but that's the way it is....

handieman 12-16-2007 05:01 PM

Take one ruler, marking pencil, cordless drill with 3/64's bit, screwdriver, one 12 pack of pull knobs,one 12 pack of drawer pulls available at Walmarts and have at it, completion time 2 hours
Handie :joke: