Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   RECYCLING POLL (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/recycling-poll-10903/)

cabo35 12-16-2007 10:53 PM

RECYCLING POLL

According to posts in another thread, a group supporting recycling has stated their case to Village management. Management has proposed that recycling can be implemented by cutting the current twice a week garbage pickup to one day a week and adding a new charge for the recycling. If you have an interest in this issue, cast your vote above.

JohnZ 12-16-2007 11:48 PM

Re: RECYCLING POLL

Recycling as a business venture is anemic in terms of return on investment. Most community recycling programs must be heavily subsidized to keep the programs viable. Recycled materials are subject to broad market swings i.e. especially paper and plastic (monomers)...the largest part of the recyclable waste stream. Mixed plastic waste streams are essentially of no value for all intents and purposes. If spot markets tank....as they have in a big way from time-to-time....recycling programs are eliminated entirely. Ferrous metals, copper and aluminum are obviously different....but on a weight percentage basis....these commodity metals represents a small fraction of the municipal waste stream. If a community wants a recycling program.....be prepared to pay in one way or another.

Muncle 12-17-2007 12:00 AM

Good idea to do the poll. If it comes out as I believe it will, i.e., overwhelmingly against, it might be worthwhile to forward the results to Gary Lester or Morse or one of the Garys. No, it's not scientific or even that meaningful, but . . . :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

If enough people demonstrate their unhappiness with this action, maybe management could hold a plebiscite to get an accurate view of resident feelings. Ideally, it should be one vote per household. One option could be to include a postpaid card in the monthly amenity bill. Another possibly cheaper way, though it would not hit absentee owners, would be to have a poll at each of the Rec Centers. To reduce cost, the polls could be manned by volunteers from the POA and VHA. I assume we could trust these people to insure that only residents vote, only one time, and only one from each unit. That would limit cost to management (all of us, in the long run) and could likely be done quicker, before the recycling plan is implemented.

I know there are weaknesses in both alternatives, but since this would not be a legally binding decision, strictly advisory, I expect that normal election laws would not apply.

But, I could be wrong. :beer3:

Villages Kahuna 12-17-2007 12:52 AM

If Pickups and Cost Remain The Same, OK. If not, No-No

We trade off each week with our neighbors taking our re-cyclables to the recycling center on Rolling Acres Road. It only takes a few minutes and it's open on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Of course it would be nice to have the stuff picked up at the curb. But if it means a reduction in the normal twice a week pickup or a cost increase of any more than a $1-2 a week, I'd just as soon keep taking my own to the recycling center.

zcaveman 12-17-2007 03:31 AM

I give my aluminum cans and newspapers to the Sumter County Humane Society/SPCA. They pick it up at my house.

JohnZ 12-17-2007 04:12 AM

Way to go Z. Could you provide any contact info?

noleguy 12-17-2007 05:12 PM

I also do as zcaveman. You can reach the Humane Society/SPCA at 793-9117 and make arrangements to have them pick up your items.

Hyacinth Bucket 12-18-2007 03:27 AM

ZCaveman - thank you for the info. Will do that.

HB

Lil Dancer 12-18-2007 12:14 PM

I'm very much in favor of recycling, but would hate to lose the twice a week garbage pick-up. In the Florida heat, especially in the summer, it wouldn't be a good thing. Why don't they consider an option where the garbage pickup is still twice a week, but change the recycling to once every two weeks, or some variation? I hav e feeling that dropping the gargage pickup to once a week will really kill a Village-wide recycling effort, which would be unfortunate.

Barefoot 12-18-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil Dancer
I'm very much in favor of recycling, but would hate to lose the twice a week garbage pick-up. In the Florida heat, especially in the summer, it wouldn't be a good thing. Why don't they consider an option where the garbage pickup is still twice a week, but change the recycling to once every two weeks, or some variation? I hav e feeling that dropping the gargage pickup to once a week will really kill a Village-wide recycling effort, which would be unfortunate.

:agree: I also am very much in favour of recycling! However "punishing" residents by taking away bi-weekly garbage pickup and charging more money is bound to alienate a lot of people. Why couldn't they make the garden pick-up every second week and the recycling pick-up the other week?

cabo35 12-19-2007 10:21 PM

Bump poll - 4 days left

Hope2b 12-20-2007 01:22 PM

I could never figure out where people got the idea there would only be one pickup of garbage a week.. I was sure I read where it was one day recycle and the other would stay the same. THEN the great POV or whatever it is called made a big deal out of going to once a week. I asked my husband if I had read the Sun incorrectly and he said no he knew there was no change. Todays paper shows I was not imaging things.

Barefoot 12-20-2007 06:02 PM

Hope, thanks for the correction. Guess there never was an issue, and we all jumped on the wrong bandwagon.

sparky 12-21-2007 09:09 PM

Hey Cabo35 How about starting a poll and ask if everyone really wants recycling.

This big deal about wanting twice a week pick up for trash bothers me. Do we really need those D--- big garbage trucks driving around our neighborhoods 4 days a week??

I take my papers to St. Timothy and aluminum cans get dropped off at the postal station. I have a garbage disposal, ( I believe the majority of Villagers do) and I'm lucky to fill one or two bags a week. The big deal about stink doesn't make much sense unless you put food stuffs in the garbage and why do that if you have a disposal. :dontknow:

It appears that a MINORITY wanted recycling because they were too lazy to drive a short distance and now we can all pay a couple bucks extra a month and put up with another day of the garbage trucks and the unsightly garbage bags along the curb.

I'd sure like to see certified vote.

Thanks

rtime 01-21-2012 10:32 AM

where is this recycling center

Where is this located, address.

Thanks,