Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Vehicle Inspections in Florida? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/vehicle-inspections-florida-10954/)

DickY 12-20-2007 06:05 PM

Vehicle Inspections in Florida?

Being in Pennsylvania I am getting my annual state required vehicle and emission inspection this week. Does Florida require vehicle inspections? ???

villages07 12-20-2007 06:13 PM

Re: Vehicle Inspections in Florida?

Dicky,

Pretty easy process when you get here...all paperwork (and checks) to get your FL license and register your car. No safety inspection required to get FL tags and title. As best I can tell, no ongoing vehicle safety inspections either.

However, I had to switch to GEICO insurance and they required that I go to an authorized rep for a free vehicle "inspection"..basically, GEICO wanted a rep to ensure that the vehicle had no damage or other issues. Not sure if other auto insurers require this.

Not sure about emissions inspections down here...haven't been here long enough to get a notice yet.

kathy and al 12-20-2007 06:20 PM

Although the State of Florida did have inspections for about 7-8 years back in the late 80's-early 90's, I'm not aware of any county in the state that currently requires inspection. Thank God, because it was a royal hassle.

DickY 12-20-2007 06:23 PM

If that's the case that's a savings of about $80 a year compared to PA. It does make you think about the condition and safety of other cars on the highway though. 8)

kathy and al 12-20-2007 06:46 PM

Dicky,
If you take notice of the vehicles on the road in most of the state, especially in TV area, you have to agree that you rarely see an old beaten up clunker any more that is in dire need of lots of repair work. I don't know about you, but seems everyone today has a fairly newer vehicle and with few exception-in pretty good operating shape??
I remember those days back many years ago both in Florida and Bucks County, Pa. when it seemed just the opposite-most vehicles were older and in need of repair, consequently the real need for the state inspection process. Besides, the $80 bucks in your pocket is a real deal????

steve0528 12-20-2007 10:25 PM

I'm new here, and I've been told that if you can start it, you can drive it...Being new to FL, I've done extensive exploring. Absolutely amazed by some of the "vehicles" being operated on the highways. The Villages, being an affluent community has very few dilapidated clunkers posing an immediate danger. One needs only, however, to travel a few miles on 466 to see some VERY scary pickup trucks! Be aware of the traffic that surrounds you. I drive a tiny car, so I'm always aware of potential dangers.

My advice would be to keep your vehicle in top operating condition, in order to avoid any possible dangerous circumstance. Keep the engine tuned to specification, you never know when you may need to accelerate out of the way of danger. Keep your brakes within the manufacturers specification.

Drive defensively! I actively follow some vehicles, because I doubt their ability to stop!

Bubbalarry 12-26-2007 11:29 PM

I just registered a car from PA here in TV. I had to show the vehicle to Sumter Insurance company on RT 466 and show my dec page from Insurer. I then got Fla insurance with $1000 ded and it was several hundred cheaper than my Pa libility w/o collision.

So now I have full coverage again for a 1994 Car and taged it in FL for $200.

No inspection is required just make sure that you renew state registration each year. They won't call you or send you notice you will need to send them money or do it online.

NO inspection is required. Also as a note from the Sheriffs office where you I got the tag was this advise for me. If you see a clunker with falling bumpers and tailpipes and bad looking paint avoid getting close. THE VEHICLE IS ABOUT 99% SURE NOT TO HAVE INSURANCE.

Good luck its simple and cheaper.

chuckster 12-27-2007 01:34 AM

Didn't come out too clear, but received my annual registration renewals in the mail for both vehicles with an option to renew by mail or locally at Sumter County.

zcaveman 12-27-2007 02:08 AM

Just an FYI: Every five years they send you a new tag (license plate).

And when your driver's license gomes up for renewal, you can do it by mail.

Bubbalarry 12-27-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster
Didn't come out too clear, but received my annual registration renewals in the mail for both vehicles with an option to renew by mail or locally at Sumter County.

HOW ABOUT THAT?

Girl at Sheriffs office told me in August that it's my responsibility to renew that they will not send the renewal auomatically by mail.

Looks like she was wrong.

Sonny2024 12-19-2009 12:45 PM

Snowbird Delima on Vehicle Registration

I just got my annual renewal for my car Registerd in Wisconsin to have an emission test. Since there is no place here to do this, and I will be returning to WI in April, does anyone out there who might be from Wisconsin and is a snowbird know how I can achieve this. I AM NOT driving back home to the cold just to have somone stick something up my tailpipe. lol Seriously, if I can't get an answer here, I'll call the DMV back home I guess.

SteveFromNY 12-19-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster (Post 97122)

I received mine in the mail the day AFTER it was due! So I went right over to the office and renewed in person.

Walt. 12-19-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villages07 (Post 96436)
Dicky,
Not sure about emissions inspections down here...haven't been here long enough to get a notice yet.

Those were ended a number of years ago. If I recall correctly, emissions were so minimal that not even 1% of those inspected failed the tests. Though "enviromentalists" and a number of political hacks wanted to keep the inspections (and the donations from the equipment suppliers) then Gov Jeb Bush just ended them.

tom60 12-20-2009 10:30 AM

I have lived here for nine years and every year i have gotten my lisc. plate renewalls in the mail. You can pay by return mail or you can pay online or you can go to the office and pay in person. Simple.