Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Cancer clinics (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/cancer-clinics-11060/)

marianne237 12-29-2007 02:03 PM

Cancer clinics

Any opinions about care for cancer at Orlando Regional (MD Anderson), Moffit, and or Shands.

Avista 12-31-2007 01:08 AM

Re: Cancer clinics

I had cancer surgery for breast cancer in 2003 at Moffitt and recommend them highly. I feel I got top care. I will continue to go there every 3 months until 5 years is up. They are just great.

dbucchi 02-06-2008 08:15 PM

I have taken my mother to both M.D. Anderson and Moffitt. She has had 2 operations on her throat. I would recommend M.D. Anderson. She first went to Moffit, had an operation and they sent her home in a few days. Didn't give us any information on taking care of her, or how to feed her. We went to all follow-up appointments. They elected not to give her radiation. Her cancer came back in about 6 months. They wanted to do another operation and then radiation. Since I live in Orlando I called M.D. Anderson, they had just got a throat Doctor from there hospital in Texas. I took her to him. They are great there. She saw a surgeon, oncologist, radiation oncologist, speech therapist, and dietitian. They work as a team and really take good care of you. Mom had the second operation at M.D. Anderson. The Dr. also gave her a peg tube so she could have liquids and not hurt her throat. She also had radiation too. She is doing great. Peg tube is out. So far no recurring cancer. She is happy living in The Villages.

marianne237 02-07-2008 01:08 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I went to M. D. Anderson on the recommendations I had heard from visitors here on the Forum, and other friends. The doctors I saw treated me very politely, calmed my fears and better yet...after reviewing my CT scans and records said I didn't have anything to worry about. Follow up with repeat CT's in 7-8 months with my local doctors. Should anything change, they're there for me.

And, driving there was not too difficult. However, the exit everyone tells you to take is closed a/c road construction. And do take advantage of the valet parking...reduces your stress level.

Avista 02-07-2008 04:24 PM

I hand breast cancer in 2003. We were living in Tampa, and I was treated at Moffitt. They were wonderful to me, and I still see them quarterly.

Shands has a wonderful reputation. I know you must be getting good care.

nanci2539 04-14-2008 10:53 PM

I'm curious how one handles treatments when the clincs are so far away. I would supect it's quite an undergoing having to drive so far for chemo and/or radiation treatments. Just curious. Isn't MD Anderson in TX?

mfp509 04-15-2008 01:23 AM

I have a friend who was recently treated at Moffit and was extremely pleased with the Doctor's and care etc. She and her husband were housed at Hope House while she underwent her Chemo and radiation. They were there for about 2 months. I believe they had a private room and bath and a shared kitchen.

marianne237 04-15-2008 06:07 PM

Nanci2539: MDAnderson Clinic has a facility at Orlando Regional Hospital. From what I've been told, most major hospitals (Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, etc) have facilities here in Florida. I was surprised to learn that Orlando Regional Hosp. is actually 9 or more seperate buildings treating all kinds of illnesses. And, the drive there was not too bad...my worst problelm was my nerves. Thank goodness Hubby was able to do the driving and leave the sight seeing to me.

Muncle 06-20-2008 10:30 PM

What about treatment in and around TV? I expect I'm looking at both surgery and kemo/radiation treatments. Hell, I'll sacrifce a goat if it helps.

I've heard of Shands and even Mayo in J-ville, but what about the facilities and personnel here?

nanci2539 06-20-2008 10:32 PM

From the folks I've spoken to about area clinics, nothing good was said. A few people were misdiagnosed.

barb1191 06-20-2008 10:52 PM

Dr Berger (onc, hemetologist) at Ocala Oncology has two offices:

Ocala Main Office 352 732 4032

Lady Lake Office @ Oakland Plaza 352 259 8940

http://www.ocalaoncology.com/
http://www.ocalaoncology.com/Berger.htm

Just went there (Lady Lake) one time to have my two ports flushed and found him to be very thorough and pleasant. His office in Lady Lake also handles chemo and radiation.

Due to my experience at Lake Oncology, I choose to never recommend them; the staff was very nice, however, the drs left much to be desired.

barb

Barefoot 06-20-2008 11:47 PM

Muncle, I'm sending you a PM and I'll be hoping for a good prognosis.

KathieI 06-21-2008 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncle
What about treatment in and around TV? I expect I'm looking at both surgery and kemo/radiation treatments. Hell, I'll sacrifce a goat if it helps.

Good Luck, Mr. Muncle. I'm rooting for you and praying too. Kathie

redwitch 06-21-2008 11:47 PM

Muncle, prays going up that all goes well for you.