Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Movies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/)
-   -   Do you belong to a DVD rental club? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/do-you-belong-dvd-rental-club-11062/)

Taltarzac 12-29-2007 02:25 PM

Do you belong to a DVD rental club?

I belong to Blockbuster.com and manage to get about 18 free rentals with my envelops at a local Blockbuster--either here or in the Tampa Bay area when visiting there-- per month. Watch a lot of movies per week. Many pretty bad ones like Georgia Rule and Norbit but seeing the bad ones makes you appreciate the good ones like Once more. ;D

jht 12-30-2007 12:57 AM

Re: Do you belong to a DVD rental club?

I'm very satisfied with Netflix. Their turn-around time is unbelievable and their selection is huge.

zcaveman 12-30-2007 02:31 AM

When the TV viewing is slow I get 4-6 rentals from Blockbusters via the mail weekly.There is a two day turnaround. If the movie is terrible. I turn it off after 15-20 minutes and package it up for a return. Not too many of those thank God.

MSNPA 12-30-2007 02:40 AM

I miss Blockbusters so much. I live on the other side, closer to 466A and I sure hope the Colony Plaza gets a store. Never tried going through the mail. I like foreign flicks that the theaters at the squares will never show.

punkpup 12-30-2007 03:11 AM

I haven't bothered to join a DVD rental club because I love to buy previously viewed DVD's. A trip to the local Hollywood Video and Blockbusters is always fun. We love to have Movie Nights, Movie Matinee double features complete with cartoons between movies and Movie Marathons where we have friends over to view movies till we're bleary eyed. When the weather is warm I set up an old video projector on the deck with a sheet for a screen to make it feel like a Drive-In.

chelsea24 12-30-2007 04:31 AM

We are new members to blockbusters club and so far very pleased. Very fast turnaround. ;)

Taltarzac 01-04-2008 06:50 PM

The plan I am on at Blockbuster-- unlimited exchange of 3 at a time jumped up by about $10 per month to $35.99. This was from last month's rate of around $26 + tax?

Still worth it from the number of DVDs I get per month either from exchange or from the mailings. I get about 36 DVDs per month out of this plan but certainly do not have time to even watch all of these.

The store exchange is an advantage Blockbuster has over Netflix even though that might not be so much of an advantage to people in the southern part of the Villages unless they put in a 2nd Blockbuster somewhere in near CR466a. Now, there is only the Blockbuster's near 441/27 in Lady Lake at 1568 Bella Cruz Avenue.

zcaveman 01-05-2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac
The plan I am on at Blockbuster-- unlimited exchange of 3 at a time jumped up by about $10 per month to $35.99. This was from last month's rate of around $26 + tax?

Still worth it from the number of DVDs I get per month either from exchange or from the mailings. I get about 36 DVDs per month out of this plan but certainly do not have time to even watch all of these.

The store exchange is an advantage Blockbuster has over Netflix even though that might not be so much of an advantage to people in the southern part of the Villages unless they put in a 2nd Blockbuster somewhere in near CR466a. Now, there is only the Blockbuster's near 441/27 in Lady Lake at 1568 Bella Cruz Avenue.

I am only paying $19.95 a month. Three at a time and 5 in store changes a month. I don't usually go to the store because of the time restraints on the turn around.

Taltarzac 01-08-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman
I am only paying $19.95 a month. Three at a time and 5 in store changes a month. I don't usually go to the store because of the time restraints on the turn around.

I feel compelled to watch a lot of movies per month than I normally would. Not sure exactly why just yet. It is a mystery to me. So, the unlimited returns and 3 at a time works well for me.

I do wish they would get another Blockbuster down around CR466. Would save on the gas.

zcaveman 01-09-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac
I feel compelled to watch a lot of movies per month than I normally would. Not sure exactly why just yet. It is a mystery to me. So, the unlimited returns and 3 at a time works well for me.

I do wish they would get another Blockbuster down around CR466. Would save on the gas.

My plan is:

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access $19.99 / month (plus taxes)
3 at-a-time, unlimited mailings
5 in-store movie exchanges/month (which I do not use/but can)

I think you live in Calamut. Isn't the Albertson plaza closer than anything they would put up on 466?

Taltarzac 01-10-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman
My plan is:

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access $19.99 / month (plus taxes)
3 at-a-time, unlimited mailings
5 in-store movie exchanges/month (which I do not use/but can)

I think you live in Calamut. Isn't the Albertson plaza closer than anything they would put up on 466?

Lynnhaven is where I am. Not sure even where Calamut is? I can walk to the Public on 466 if the weather is nice. It is about a mile from here.

Joe S. 01-11-2008 10:36 AM

As a three year member of Netflix (three/month plan), here's my assessment.

THE GOOD: Excellent turnaround time; huge selection; convenience (Blockbuster is three miles away. Maybe I'd feel differently if we had as many Blockbusters in The Villages as we have Starbucks).

THE BAD: Netflix closes on Saturdays and Sundays; no credit for a damaged disk (only three in three years); if your movie is not available in Florida, it could be sent from as far away as Hawaii and that adds three or four days to the mail each way (when that happens I do not return the DVD to the far away location. I use a Daytona envelope I have saved for such an eventuality).

All in all, I recommend Netflix. Along with Turner Classic Movies, it's great for those of us who love movies.