Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   I would like for all to read the text of a message I received. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/i-would-like-all-read-text-message-i-received-11064/)

Talk Host 12-29-2007 02:42 PM

I would like for all to read the text of a message I received.

I will not identify the person who sent this to me. This person has recognized something that I've been concerned about for a while now. Please read the text of this message that I received.

Jan, I've noticed lately that some members are frequently using threads as their own personal "chat room" to chat back and forth to friends on non-related topics. I'm sure we've all done it from time to time, but hopefully have learned that such chatter is best kept for the Chat Room at night.

I'm not referring to humourous comments on the topics as they are fun. I mean things like "did you like my Christmas present".

I think that many new readers are seeking information on certain threads, and I think it may be discouraging (and boring) for them to have the topics hijacked so often. I would hate to think we are losing new members because of it.

Taltarzac 12-29-2007 02:47 PM

Re: I would like for you to all read the text of a message I received.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host
I will not identify the person who sent this to me. This person has seen recognized something that I've been concerned about for a while now. Please read the text of this message that I received.

Jan, I've noticed lately that some members are frequently using threads as their own personal "chat room" to chat back and forth to friends on non-related topics. I'm sure we've all done it from time to time, but hopefully have learned that such chatter is best kept for the Chat Room at night.

I'm not referring to humourous comments on the topics as they are fun. I mean things like "did you like my Christmas present".

I think that many new readers are seeking information on certain threads, and I think it may be discouraging (and boring) for them to have the topics hijacked so often. I would hate to think we are losing new members because of it.

I have done that once in a while. Suggest TOTV users use their edit functions more??

redwitch 12-29-2007 03:25 PM

Re: I would like for all to read the text of a message I received.

You could do what I do -- growl at 'em to quit hijacking my threads. I think the problem is that they really don't understand the difference between chatting and posting to a public forum. The best advice is probably to try to explain that if it is something directed to one other person, send a PM. If it is something you want to say to the person who did the thread but has nothing to do with the thread, send a PM. If it is something that pertains to the subject matter, respond in the thread but leave out the personal stuff.

cathyp 12-29-2007 03:29 PM

That personal chat is exactly what keeps me from posting more often. It's sheer drivel and it's boring to anyone not part of the "conversation".

Hope2b 12-29-2007 03:54 PM

This happens on all boards. I use the link at the top for 'view new posts' and when it has been a chatty thread I just ignor it and go on to the next.

Barefoot 12-30-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch
The best advice is that if it is something directed to one other person, send a PM. If it is something you want to say to the person who did the thread but has nothing to do with the thread, send a PM. If it is something that pertains to the subject matter, respond in the thread but leave out the personal stuff.

Thanks for the excellent advice; I think we can all benefit from it.

RCT 12-30-2007 04:02 AM

Slogan could be " Don't thread on me"

nONIE 12-30-2007 04:16 AM

I think this definitely applies to me. Sorry if Ive been to chatty, I am new at this also, will try and be more to the point.

: :dontknow:

punkpup 12-30-2007 04:27 AM

Good point Jan. Thank you

Donna 12-31-2007 06:03 AM

I will abide by those rules and if I was guilty, I apologize to all TOTV members..http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...orrysmiley.gif