Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Key West Fantasy Fest (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/key-west-fantasy-fest-11071/)

rsetterlund 12-29-2007 09:04 PM

Key West Fantasy Fest

Has anyone ever attended this event, I am looking for your comments? Is it worth traveling to Key West and if you did go where did you stay?

Taltarzac 12-29-2007 10:06 PM

Re: Key West Fantasy Fest

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsetterlund
Has anyone ever attended this event, I am looking for your comments? Is it worth traveling to Key West and if you did go where did you stay?

This looks like it is usually in late October each year? http://www.fantasyfest.net/schedule.cfm

t fields 12-30-2007 01:28 AM

i've never been, but i live in the keys 6 months out of the year, they say it's wild and fun, if you like to get full body paint, had a friend here go and go half body paint, said hilarious, { ok, well i'll try and go to see for myself next year, she said it was a "hoot" if you know what i mean?

punkpup 12-30-2007 02:46 AM

I lived in Key West in the '80s. Fantasy Fest is at the end of October and there are a lot of fabulous events all during the week then a very colorfu[b]l parade with parties everywhere. If you've been to Mardi Gras and enjoyed it then you'll probably enjoy Fantasy Fest. The Parade is meant to be a family event; I'd probably rate it PG-13 and events afterward R.

I enjoyed many of the events including the parade. I'm no stranger to wild events but I don't really enjoy watching people get "stupid, falling down drunk" so I would pick my events and locales very carefully. As for accommodations I would suggest that you look into Guest Houses in the "Old Town" section of the island where you will experience the charm of "Old Key West" and be given a lot of personal attention in an intimate setting. Being in "Old Town" means that you can walk to a lot of fun locations and events. You will want to rent bikes, mopeds or scooters as travel by car is 1. tough to navigate through the narrow, crowded little streets, 2. parking is impossible and 3. you will definitely enjoy your Key West experience much more by foot and/or two wheeled conveyance.

Remember Fantasy Fest is an incredibly popular event that is attended by thousands of people from the world over so be prepared for intense crowds and some in various states of undress. If you truly plan to attend you'd better make your reservations SOON!

cakey 12-30-2007 04:34 AM

We are new to TV and always looking for day trips and such. So is this a gay festival, like the parade and such in San Francisco?

punkpup 12-30-2007 05:41 AM

:joke: Fantasy Fest is an event for everyone. :joke: Key West's PRIDE celebration is in June. Neither event is exclusive to any particular segment of the population.

:welcome: All are welcome at both events. :welcome:

BTW this would definitely not be a day trip! It is approximately 441.15 miles from TV and would take you about 8 hours to drive there.

Ooper 12-31-2007 03:41 AM

Before you go to Fantasy Fest, you should probably google it and also google body painting. If you have any hangups on what you see, better think twice. If you are pretty open minded... then by all means, have a ball and hang out with the best of them!!!

Hope2b 12-31-2007 04:05 AM

Next year I want to go to Meeting of the minds. I believe it is just after the fest.

redwitch 12-31-2007 09:57 PM

Here's a link for some photos. I thought it was interesting that they had two sets of pics -- one for over 18 and one for under.

http://www.brianzajac.com/fantasy_fests.cfm

rsetterlund 12-31-2007 11:47 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the information.

Maybe we can get a group from TV to go in 2009. From what I have heard we need to make room reservations now, 2008 is probably already sold out.

DDoug 01-01-2008 12:31 AM

Used to live in Marathon on our boat and if you want to go to KW see if Hawks Cay or any of the other resorts have buses that go down for the parade that is the most fin and by staying up the road about 50 or so miles it is not a bad and alot cheaper. If you do go down just remain open minded and remember you dont have to stay. Lived there for about 10 years and we do miss it but not the cost of living there . Have and go for it, and yeah go ahead and do the body paint you can tell you have nothing on.

tckam 01-07-2008 01:13 AM

hey rsetterlund, where do we sign up? We've never been there, but it sounds and looks like fun.

funinthesun59 12-22-2009 08:27 AM

i'll be there

I'm going. Can't wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsetterlund (Post 98089)
Thanks to everyone for all the information.

Maybe we can get a group from TV to go in 2009. From what I have heard we need to make room reservations now, 2008 is probably already sold out.

graciegirl 12-22-2009 08:49 AM

Due to Punkpup's very enlightening summary, it sounds a lot like something I would like to miss. Driving eight hours to see a naked painted parade of a lot of drunks just somehow doesn't seem as nice as driving down to Havana and watching Kathie dance. Or just trying to get my ball to sail over the the out of bounds at Pelican, or sigh, taking my art class.

It takes all kinds of people to make a world and I think I am boring.

You all go and have a good time, but don't come runnin' to me with your headaches! Been there. Done that.:a040:

OpusX1 12-23-2009 08:32 PM

we have ben to four FF in a row. Great time We plan on going next year again.