Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   You get what you pay for (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/you-get-what-you-pay-11084/)

conn8757 12-30-2007 09:19 PM

You get what you pay for

We rode up to the Villages to look at Open Houses and found a listing we wanted to see in Mallory Hill by (un-named) Realty. It had the address so we rode by and thought we would be interested in seeing it since it was in our price range, the size we wanted, etc. I called the realtor to see if we could view it and was told "If you aren't ready to buy, I don't really want to drive there with the price of gas, etc." I felt like knocking on their door and telling them what their realtor had said, but really didn't know if anyone was living there or not. (This was last week by the way).

pili 12-30-2007 09:35 PM

Re: You get what you pay for

Well, that realtor isn't doing his/her job. I guess we'll stay away from Partnership Realty if that's their attitude.

Luckily for the rest of us there are many realtors in the area.

Talk Host 12-30-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conn8757
We rode up to the Villages to look at Open Houses and found a listing we wanted to see in Mallory Hill by Partnership Realty. It had the address so we rode by and thought we would be interested in seeing it since it was in our price range, the size we wanted, etc. I called the realtor to see if we could view it and was told "If you aren't ready to buy, I don't really want to drive there with the price of gas, etc." I felt like knocking on their door and telling them what their realtor had said, but really didn't know if anyone was living there or not. (This was last week by the way).

That is really hard to understand. I would be on the phone with the Real Estate Office post haste.

eremite06 12-30-2007 10:00 PM

Over two years ago, when we were shopping for a Village house, I called that broker to present an offer to the seller. He wouldn't present the offer because he said it was too low. I said, as the seller's broker, he was required to inform the seller with ALL offers. He said not if the listing contract specifies that offers only above a certain amount are to be presented to the seller.

In today's buyers' market, I can't see how agents can be so cavalier. Plus, being a licensed broker, I know they owe a fiduciary to the seller.

beady 12-30-2007 10:23 PM

:agree: :agree:
I agree with Talk Host. Get on the phone and call the real estate office. That is just wrong and the seller should know that is how his house is being represented. I always think of a situation like that, as if I were in that position. If I was selling my home in the present market you can bet I would want to know that my agent was not working for me.

mobruce 12-30-2007 10:49 PM

I have a ranch reserved this March with the life style preview. I know of one realtor I wont waste my time calling!!!!!!!!!!

lm01 12-30-2007 11:32 PM

That office has various levels of service. A lot of their viewings are done by homeowner showing the home. Discount brokers are really just what it says they are discount in a lot of ways including SERVICE.

But on the other side there are so many lookers today with no intention of being ready to purchase or have a home to sell I can understand why they may have asked the question.

conn8757 12-31-2007 12:37 AM

I guess I was so shocked to hear a realtor say that - I did note they say they list for 1% of the sale price, but even so - by owner would have been better for that owner. We rode by it again today and could not tell if anyone lived there or not - if they or a neighbor had been out, I was going to tell them about it. The funny thing is, we are looking to buy, but not from someone that cannot get off her duff to show a house. I figure no one is going to see that house and it will be with another realtor when that contract runs out.

Bubbalarry 12-31-2007 01:23 AM

That stinks. Thank heaven my wife settles me down because I would call that agent and say we looked at the property, loved it so much I want to place a bid on it.

Now if the agent says come to the office, I would say I would but my wife has to see inside first. She needs to see measure a room for furniture sizes and placement. If it has a den use that one or a 3rd bedroom if it has one and no den.

Now when the agent comes flip her a couple bits for gas and tell her we found an agent who cares.

I know thats not nice but thats his/her job to show the properties. If not get another job.

A couple years ago while we were looking to buy a beachfront property in Ocean City, NJ., we had an agent ask us before they show a home on the beach we had to fill out a financial statement to see if we would qualify for a mortgage. We told her to go you know where.

After looking with another agent we bought a home that the same agent who insulted us was the listing agent. Man was she ****ed.

lm01 12-31-2007 03:11 AM

You may be better off if you get a realtor from another company to set up an appointment and take to to see the home. That way they know you are a serious buyer. Good luck. PS the selling agent gets a good commission out of it.

Barefoot 12-31-2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb1191

I was under the impression that no outside realtor could sell in TV; if no realtor sale is by owner. Is this correct? barb1191

Not correct. MLS realtors can list and sell in TV and frequently do.
However MLS (Multiple Listing Service) and VLS (Village Listing Service) do NOT cooperate.
MLS agents can't show or sell VLS homes, new or resale.
VLS agents can't show or sell MLS homes.

List with a Discount Broker and pay 1%? :dontknow: For sure you'll get the level of service you're paying for.

chelsea24 12-31-2007 06:21 AM

I have to give credit to our realtor Joyce Dunnaway, she was so patient with me and I know I was making her crazy. Not once but twice. We visited twice before buying. She never made me feel like I was putting her out and I swear she took me through dozens of houses. She found my dream house and then her and her partner had a social gathering at the Orange Blossom for all the newbies. She went the extra mile. I can't believe a realtor would say that, they should be reported. :edit:

l2ridehd 12-31-2007 12:10 PM

I have had excellent support from both realtors I worked with. One from a local agent and one from VLS. I told them both on my first visit that I was not going to buy yet and just wanted a good understanding of the market. I even told them it was OK to only show me vacant homes. They showed me a lot of homes. Vacant, new, and occupied. I also told them I was looking at FSBO as well. My second visit I told them I was ready to buy and was still looking with an outside agent, a VLS agent and FSBO. I still saw everything available that came close to my requirements. Still have not found the right property and am planning a third visit and will ask for the same agents again. One thing I did to show them I was a serious buyer was to get a bank qualification letter for a large mortgage. I am going to buy, and I will find the right property even if it requires four or five visits. If something like that had happened, I would just contact a different agency and ask to see the property.

784caroline 12-31-2007 01:50 PM

If I were the seller I would get rid of that Broker/agent as fast as I could. QUESTION:Do homes for sale in TV through MLS (or VLS) have Lock Boxes on them. If so just contact an agent you have been working with and go through them...assuming the listing agreement has a 3% cooperative clause.
We were using "Help-U-Sell" to try and sell our house in N Va and it would cost me approx $5000 if the house sold BUT the house was also listed in MLS and I had a 3% cooperative clause. Bottom line for us ...I think discount brokers are great in a sellers market but not now....we had to switch to a full service agent.

ouma1938 12-31-2007 05:12 PM

I am a Realtor here in SC and I can't imagine what my Broker would do if he ever one of us treated a customer like that. Yes, gas is expensive but that does not excuse rudeness.