Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Pet peeves on words (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/pet-peeves-words-11101/)

redwitch 12-31-2007 05:46 PM

Pet peeves on words

Do you have a phrase or a word that you absolutely wince when you see or hear it?

I have to grit my teeth everytime I hear that something is "so gay." I find it to be a bigoted, stereotyping, nasty phrase. My daughter and her friends learned very quickly to not say it around me.

The other is a simple misspelling that drives me batty. PRIVILEGE does not have a d in it. Every time I see this, I want to PM the poor person and give them spelling lessons but that would be rather rude and arrogant, wouldn't it?

So, what drives you batty?

redwitch 12-31-2007 06:11 PM

Re: Pet peeves on words

Regardless of what you say, Barb, I ain't gonna quit usin ain't. ;D

villages07 12-31-2007 06:27 PM

its when it should be it's

your when it should be you're

...just minor annoyances - not fingernails on the blackboard level of annoying

eujaynia 12-31-2007 06:40 PM

Re: Pet peeves on words "irregardless"

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb1191
Simply put........ irregardless (yuk) No such word. To me, it's like scratching the blackboard.

barb1191

PS: "Aint" is another that "aint" in my vocabulary. (eek)

I found this interesting in regards to "irregardless" *chuckle*
—Usage note Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

... and

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

eujaynia 12-31-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villages07
its when it should be it's

your when it should be you're

...just minor annoyances - not fingernails on the blackboard level of annoying

... and how about "there" when it s/b "their" *grin*

tony 12-31-2007 07:30 PM

Epitome.

Seldom is it used correctly.

redwitch 12-31-2007 07:33 PM

Aw, Tony, if you're not the epitome of a California dude, I'm not sure what is. (Cars, surfing and the internet -- poifect combo!)

nONIE 12-31-2007 09:44 PM

And he says, and she says! thats about the bottom of the barrel for me! EEEEEK!!!

chelsea24 01-01-2008 04:06 AM

:bow: I'm so guilty of probably being part of the most annoying things ever said because of my advertising background. We use to just sit around making up words like "It's FABULICIOUS!" Forgive me all. :o (But the pay was great!) ::)

redwitch 01-01-2008 04:19 AM

You had a part of creating "fabulicious?" Chels, I thought you had style and taste!!! (Actually, I always liked that word -- it says it all without wasting a breath.)

JohnZ 01-01-2008 11:34 PM

There's actually a word to describe/define the fusion of two words that forms a new one. The word is "portmanteau".

I have a tendency to use totally made-up words to describe conditions/things that aren't in a dictionary...but should i.e. "sniglets". My favorite...."snoozle"....the dried schnozola residue that your dog leaves on sliding glass doors and car windows. "Cheedle", the orange residue left on your fingers after eating Cheetos. Now, what would be a good word to describe glass door canine "art" if an interesting pattern were to be discovered?

Pet peeve phrases.....over-use of "you know".....over-use as in every dang sentance by some folks. Is dang a word? Over use of hyphenated words. Huh....did just use some hyphens? Well, all be monkey's uncle......and where did that phrase come from anyway. Andy why are we beginning to sound like Andy Rooney?

redwitch 01-01-2008 11:42 PM

What's this "we" Kimosabe?

zcaveman 01-02-2008 02:11 AM

Mine is seen as in "I seen him over there" Shoud be "I saw him over there".

As you go through the day see how many people use seen instead of saw.

JohnZ 01-02-2008 02:14 AM

Kimosabe? This was a word entirely made up by Jay Silverheels. And I (and some others it may seem) are sounding like Andy Rooney. Sheesh.

punkpup 01-02-2008 02:25 AM

This one drives me nuts :realmad: and has been misused so many times that it's been added to some lesser >:( ; I might add, dictionaries!

Preventative! It should be preventive. I cringe :yikes: every time I hear it on the TV and radio and it makes me positively go bonkers :barf: when I see it in print. :cus:

Whew :chillout: !!! LOL