Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Walk or cart (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/walk-cart-111216/)

uprivergirl 04-13-2014 12:39 AM

Walk or cart

My husband and I are trying to find out as much as possible about golf in TV. We will be coming for a preview May 7-12 and were wondering if most people walk the course or ride. We like to walk, but when it is too hot we use a cart. Where we live it gets 120 in the summer so we usually ride unless we get an early tee time. We sometimes walk front 9 and ride the back 9.

We were wondering if there is a rating on the difficultly of a course? Can 2 people play or do they pair you up with other twosome?

MikeV 04-13-2014 12:48 AM

Most residents own their own golf carts. There is a yearly trail fee to use your golf cart on the courses or you can pay each time you golf. If you are coming on a Villages Life Style Preview a golf cart will most likely be included. Each course does have a rating. I believe that Executive courses are rated 1 to 4 and I'm not sure how the Championship courses are rated. I suggest you go to The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown - New Home Sales, Home Resales, Build Your Dream Home, Brownwood Paddock Square and click on the Golf selection to read about the courses and costs etc. You are gonna love it here.

fred53 04-13-2014 03:32 AM

No trail fee for the Championship courses. Championship courses are USGA handicap rated. Walking is allowed on the championship courses, but there can be a good distance between a green and the next tee...you have to keep up(I'm assuming you are talking championship as there isn't usually a "back nine" on the executives)....two people who get a tee time are paired up, but sometimes there is no one else looking for that time so you do(on occasion)play as a twosome....

dewilson58 04-13-2014 08:11 AM

Flat courses..........easy to walk. Most green to tee walks are not long....there are a couple longer ones, but that's golf.

Bay Kid 04-13-2014 10:41 AM

The executive courses are great to walk. I will walk 1 or 2 a day. It can even be faster most of the time.

uprivergirl 04-13-2014 03:52 PM

I didn't know you could get 2 tee times in one day. Glad to hear people are walking the executive courses. We will have to rent clubs but once we move there we are good to go. Can't wait to met all the friendly active people in TV.

RErmer 04-13-2014 04:01 PM

Lots of people walk the executive courses. You will be actively discouraged by the Pro Shop staff from walking the championship courses due to pace of play and the course setups. For example there is a 2 block gap (you ride your cart down the street) between holes 1 & 2 of Glenview/Stirrup Cup and holes 8 & 9. Similar gaps exist on other courses.

Ohiogirl 04-13-2014 04:53 PM

also hard to walk Mangrove

which is one of the new exec. courses that opened this year near Big Cypress Rec Center. Starter told me it is 4.1 (or something close) miles to walk it. You would definitely slow play by walking this one.

Bay Kid 04-14-2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uprivergirl (Post 861542)
I didn't know you could get 2 tee times in one day. Glad to hear people are walking the executive courses. We will have to rent clubs but once we move there we are good to go. Can't wait to met all the friendly active people in TV.

I could do 3 a day, if my body could take it!

JMEZARIC3 04-14-2014 07:22 AM

Walking

Quote:

Originally Posted by uprivergirl (Post 861193)
My husband and I are trying to find out as much as possible about golf in TV. We will be coming for a preview May 7-12 and were wondering if most people walk the course or ride. We like to walk, but when it is too hot we use a cart. Where we live it gets 120 in the summer so we usually ride unless we get an early tee time. We sometimes walk front 9 and ride the back 9.

We were wondering if there is a rating on the difficultly of a course? Can 2 people play or do they pair you up with other twosome?

All the executive courses are walkable.Most have only one hole that is a long walk from green to the next tee.I have never seen a walker on a championship course.All the courses have a few holes with a 5 minute cart ride between the green and tee.

Bay Kid 04-14-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohiogirl (Post 861564)
which is one of the new exec. courses that opened this year near Big Cypress Rec Center. Starter told me it is 4.1 (or something close) miles to walk it. You would definitely slow play by walking this one.

I walk them all. So far I don't slow down play. Most of the time I'm standing around waiting, or picking up someone's 1st shot on my way to the green. Mangrove #7 is a walk, but I'm still ready to hit before the others tee off.

Happinow 04-14-2014 07:58 AM

Executive courses walker friendly

Some people walk the executive courses, although some of the holes are quite a distance apart (palmetto.....between hole one and two). I don't play the championship courses but I live on one and in the two years I've lived here I have never seen a walker. I would certainly take a cart on the championship courses. Have fun!

Cathy H 04-14-2014 08:22 AM

Suggestion: one part of couple drives cart & the other walks, then switch when your legs quit. This will work when both need to ride to cover occasional long distance from a green to the next tee box.

Russ_Boston 04-14-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happinow (Post 861829)
Some people walk the executive courses, although some of the holes are quite a distance apart (palmetto.....between hole one and two). I don't play the championship courses but I live on one and in the two years I've lived here I have never seen a walker. I would certainly take a cart on the championship courses. Have fun!

I do play with one gentleman who walks EVERY course in TV including championship. He sometimes will hit last, as we might tee off before he gets there, but he never holds up play.

uprivergirl 04-14-2014 09:11 PM

My Husband got excited knowing you can play more than once a day on The executive courses. One more plus for TV.