Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   New Years on the Squares (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/new-years-squares-11129/)

billethkid 01-01-2008 07:07 AM

New Years on the Squares

For those of us that attended it was a shame to have such a wonderful opportunity for The Villages residents to revel and party as they have for years....but cut off at 9 PM by those in power (using the terms loosely)......

Hopefully the silent majority in The Villages will make their voices heard. And please don't waste your time by contacting the so called entertainment group.

I still maintain it was a budget issue. Penalizing the many for the sake of the few is just plain unacceptable BS!

Happy New Year.

Bill E.

JerryM 01-01-2008 04:30 PM

Re: New Years on the Squares

We were treated like children, telling us to go home at 9PM

I was embarrassed for my visitors who never will buy here now

Jerry

REDCART 01-01-2008 05:31 PM

JM, Could you have stayed in the Square after the music ended at 9:00 or did they make you clear out?

Reggie 01-01-2008 06:52 PM

Why don't they move the New Years eve celebration to the Polo Fields seems like the access would be easier to control and make it a Villager's only affair?

billethkid 01-01-2008 07:06 PM

We stayed until 11 PM before locating to a home for the final hour.

The cleanup people came around and asked if we would clean up after we left.

The issue as I understand it was not ease of accesibility, but one of "safety" to quote Barbara Vesco's office.

I was told the crowds were getting too big to assure the safety of the participants....which of course is pure bunk.

I personally believe if the silent majority bombards The Villages management (not the entertainment management).....it can be reversed.

If the word gets out that amenities are slowly being eroded that once were part of the so called lifestyle. They have volumn in their favor. I think reaching the appropriate management is the answer.

Write to the Morse's.....the lifestyle of old (in The Villages) is being compromised.

Bill E.

The Great Fumar 01-01-2008 08:22 PM

Never mind writing to the Morse's or anyone else, because nothing is going to change. This is not about the Villagers, this is about the younger crowds that come in raise cain on your amenity fees.....The villagers already have party's to go too. To support outsider party's by extending the entertainment deadline, then the developer is liable for any incident on the property , In this day and age of litigation , In my opinion, would be insane..Its a crazy world out there folks and the scary word of the day is LIAIBILITY .......
this is my opinion

JohnN 01-01-2008 09:02 PM

good point , fumar!

I also like the idea about using the polo fields and a Villagers only affair

Frank2 01-01-2008 09:21 PM

:agree:, :agree:, :agree:

redwitch 01-01-2008 10:01 PM

It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to close of the squares to Villagers only for very special events. Maybe even have a small (say $5) fee to cover the cost of rent-a-cops to keep out the riff-raff would be reasonable.

DENNIS G 01-01-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN
good point , fumar!

I also like the idea about using the polo fields and a Villagers only affair

:agree: :agree: :agree:

They could probably charge an admission ($5.00-$10.00) and it still would be packed. I think it is a great idea, if they would only do it. I'm willing to pay additional admission for them to do that. Hasn't changed The Church on The Square since they started charging admission.

chelsea24 01-01-2008 10:16 PM

My husband and I were very disappointed. Moving here in Nov. I remember saying how great it will be to spend New Year's Eve at the square. We drove around to both and it I looked like it could have been fun if everyone was allowed to stay. :edit: I'm really ****ed about this, yes I agree with Red, how hard can it be to check ID's for square events for villagers only. Also, I suggested the Polo Field as an alternative and he said " how are they going to light it?" I said "let them figure it out, we paid not only for a home but a lifestyle, and we paid plenty!" This is the first bad thing that struck me at TV and I hope it's the last. With some creativity and effort this can be solved and I hope they solve it for next year. :verymad: I still be believe in intelligent protest, so let's all do something about it! Power to the people! :cus:

Muncle 01-01-2008 11:10 PM

A year ago, the "silent majority" was complaining because people in the squares kept piling in with chairs, moving the new front row of seats closer and closer to the bandstand until there was no room to dance. People who had arrived in the AM to set up tables and seats in prime positions found themselves shuffled to the back. This year, the powers that be decided to try a new tactic. They'd set up a special area for tables and allow people to reserve marked spaces (for $$$, of course). All hell broke loose!! :cus: Now I will grant you that this action was handled miserably. Idi Amin had a better sense of PR than the Rec people did on this one. Faced with criticism, they caved. Don't know for sure, but I expect the attitude was then: "To hell with it. Just treat the day like any other and if people want parties, let 'em hold their own."

Now people have known about this for weeks, especially if they read TOTV. But what do we have today? Shock and amazement that the music died at 9:00!!! Wake up, people. You knew this was the situation.

So now we have ideas, what TV should do. Close the Town Centers, only allow Villagers, and check IDs. Get serious!! Just give the logistics involved a modicum of thought and you'll realize the absurdity of the idea. And of course there are just a few legal and contractual issues involved. Move it to the Polo Field. It's got possibilities, worth looking into. However, suggesting it here isn't going to make it happen. If you think this is the solution, contact the Rec Division or whatever they are, make the suggestion, and volunteer to assist in working the details.

The overreaction to last night is almost laughable. If this is the biggest disappointment you encounter in TV, consider yourself very lucky. And if you decide to make your voice heard to the Morse family or management or whomever, make sure you have a suggestion to go along with your complaint.

(okay, so I overdid it a bit. I've had a headcold for 5 days. :barf: I'm sick, man. :bow:)

chuckster 01-01-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncle
A year ago, the "silent majority" was complaining because people in the squares kept piling in with chairs, moving the new front row of seats closer and closer to the bandstand until there was no room to dance. People who had arrived in the AM to set up tables and seats in prime positions found themselves shuffled to the back. This year, the powers that be decided to try a new tactic. They'd set up a special area for tables and allow people to reserve marked spaces (for $$$, of course). All hell broke loose!! :cus: Now I will grant you that this action was handled miserably. Idi Amin had a better sense of PR than the Rec people did on this one. Faced with criticism, they caved. Don't know for sure, but I expect the attitude was then: "To hell with it. Just treat the day like any other and if people want parties, let 'em hold their own."

Now people have known about this for weeks, especially if they read TOTV. But what do we have today? Shock and amazement that the music died at 9:00!!! Wake up, people. You knew this was the situation.

So now we have ideas, what TV should do. Close the Town Centers, only allow Villagers, and check IDs. Get serious!! Just give the logistics involved a modicum of thought and you'll realize the absurdity of the idea. And of course there are just a few legal and contractual issues involved. Move it to the Polo Field. It's got possibilities, worth looking into. However, suggesting it here isn't going to make it happen. If you think this is the solution, contact the Rec Division or whatever they are, make the suggestion, and volunteer to assist in working the details.

The overreaction to last night is almost laughable. If this is the biggest disappointment you encounter in TV, consider yourself very lucky. And if you write decide to make your voice heard to the Morse family or management or whomever, make sure you have a suggestion to go along with your complaint.

(okay, so I overdid it a bit. I've had a headcold for 5 days. :barf: I'm sick, man. :bow:)

Totally agree Muncle :agree: ..............The comments here are laughable considering the reasons for suspension were given weeks ago. Hang in there had the same :edit:d*** cold for 2 weeks and just now feeling less ornery according to my better half.

Beltlady 01-01-2008 11:33 PM

We need, but I know we are not going to get for 5 or more years, a TH IRD square. One can have R&R, one can have Line dancing and one can have all the rest. I do hope we can find a solution for this as it is alot of fun to do down to the square. It is kind of hard to dance on grass. Were the recreation centers being used? I know some of them were but not until after 9. I didn't make it pass 10 last night. I guess I'm getting REALLY old. We have been here 4 years and still are in awe at times that we live here.

rekops 01-01-2008 11:56 PM

I'm curious what Redwitch is referring to as Riff-Raff. I was at Sumter and saw many folks, including myself dancing and having a good time. I also saw some folks that I thought were outsiders. Some looked as though they were a lot less prosperous than most villagers. Hopefully they wouldn't be considered Riff-Raff.

I was under the assumption that the streets surrounding the town squares are public thoroughfares. How could a fee be charged to visit public property?