Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Silent Majority?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/silent-majority-11187/)

billethkid 01-04-2008 03:24 PM

Silent Majority??

I have always maintained most anything you want to discuss as a subject for change there is always the under lying cause of discontent with the present.....the silent majority.
Whether it be local or national politics for example, the silent majority will just not get involved to do something to motivate those in charge whether elected or assigned or appointed.

Even a simple question on this forum...where are you from???

5601 views of the question.....176 responses!!!!!!!! A lowly three percent!!!!!

We all need to encourage the silent majority to stand and be counted to help us all either gain or maintain the things we have grown to love about where and how we live.

Pick any subject....any outing....any event....the actual participation is always.....ALWAYS....by the few.....and the many go along for the ride (unless it affects them personally).

I encourage friends, family and anybody who will listen to make their voices heard....

BTK

F16 1UB 01-04-2008 03:50 PM

Re: Silent Majority??

BTK,

Many have also posted where they're from in their profile. The box to the right of your signature in your profile can be updated with this info & comments too. Like Brrr.

:welcome:

redwitch 01-04-2008 04:06 PM

A lot of times people will post and then go back and look to see what others have posted. So, it may not be that the majority is as silent as it seems.

Russ_Boston 01-04-2008 04:17 PM

Great point Red. I hadn't thought about it but doing the math if 15 separate people post on a thread and they all go back to look at each new post as it is posted the number of visits is 55. Obviously this number goes up with each new post. 16 posts is 71. 17 posts is 88 etc. As you mentioned it doesn't mean than only 20% of the people who view also post. In fact it would be 100% in my example.

Isn't math wonderful? ;D

Sgt Mac 01-04-2008 04:18 PM

Get um Post 8)

Da Sgt
U see any Cats :o

SteveFromNY 01-04-2008 06:09 PM

There are only 3000 or so members, so 5600 views is proof that some peolpe read them more than once..

billethkid 01-04-2008 06:30 PM

Yes there are multiple hits. But even if you take the number who posted an answer and multiply it times 5 to account for checking back.....statistically it is still significant that 80%
do not respond.

Paredo's law...the old 80-20 rule reigns on most applications.

20% of the people do most of the work while 80% ride along....not a negative....not a complaint....just facts....even politicians will tell you the silent majority makes their job easier ....no expectation established...no penalty for lack of performance.

BTK

Taltarzac 01-04-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveFromNY
There are only 3000 or so members, so 5600 views is proof that some peolpe read them more than once..

3585 now, SteveFromNY. Still most of them seem to have never posted or have under 10 posts.

Muncle 01-04-2008 09:53 PM

I do believe we've strayed off topic a bit. BTK broached the subject of the perspective of the "Silent Majority" (SM) and their action/inaction. His position seems to be that this SM is dissatisfied with the status quo, supports the desire for change, but refuses to take an active part in any movement for change. The SM is satisfied to sit on the sidelines and let others do the work. I disagree.

The term itself goes back to a Nixon speech of the late 60's referring to the vast majority of Americans who did not demonstrate or protest against the government and its actions, especially in Vietnam. As is their wont, those protesters and the media assumed that this majority of people did not actively support their cause and participate because they did not understand it, that they just didn't get it, or they did support it but did not want to get involved. However, as the election debacle of 1972 demonstrated, the SM was silent not for those reasons but because they were satisfied with what the government was doing, at least in comparison to the alternatives offered.

Okay, I said all that to say this . . . in almost any movement for change, be it international, national, or within TV, those pushing change are an infinitesimal part of the population. Others in favor of that change are likely a minority, possibly even a majority, but to them the issue is of little importance, a nice to have, but really who cares. The real SM is either in favor of the status quo or is solidly ambivalent. Two people carrying protest signs get attention regardless of their cause, be it the end of apartheid or outlawing serving peas in a school lunch program. 99.999% of the population not protesting does not get on the news. A movement for change is not an iceberg. There is not necessarily a massive portion below the water. Sometimes it's just a chunk of ice floating by. What you see is all there is.

But then, I could be wrong.