Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   I cannot get too excited about the Iowa caucuses and do not get the hoopla today (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/i-cannot-get-too-excited-about-iowa-caucuses-do-not-get-hoopla-today-11191/)

Guest 01-04-2008 07:03 PM

I cannot get too excited about the Iowa caucuses and do not get the hoopla today

What's the big deal with the Iowa caucuses? Talk about a silent majority when what happens in Iowa affects all the rest of us so much?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._to_February_4

February 5 is the big day it looks like. :o

Guest 01-04-2008 09:48 PM

Re: I cannot get too excited about the Iowa caucuses and do not get the hoopla today

:agree:

Guest 01-04-2008 10:34 PM

Re: I cannot get too excited about the Iowa caucuses and do not get the hoopla t

Well Iowa does help. The one that wins normally gets a big push for New Hampshire, the first primary in the country. If the same person wins both then the country tends to take a closer look. Plus Iowa and NH tend to weed out the also ran candids. I feel super Tuesday has gotten so big that it does not give enough time in each of the states to really meet and here the candids. I for one would like to see it spread out some.

Guest 01-04-2008 10:45 PM

Re: I cannot get too excited about the Iowa caucuses and do not get the hoopla today

BORING!!!

Guest 01-05-2008 02:05 AM

Re: I cannot get too excited about the Iowa caucuses and do not get the hoopla t

I guess I'm different, but I was really excited about the Iowa Primary. I have always liked Obama and it was quite exciting seeing him with such a big win.

Guest 01-05-2008 02:34 AM

I find it hard to believe that one state in the middle of nowhere can have so much pull on who will be president.

New Hampshire and super Tuesday don't help either. They sway voters to the winners because they want to be on the winners side. "I voted for him"

With the Floriday delegates being dissed because we decided to go ahead of the Feb Super Tuesday - why vote? Our delegates are not going to have a say at the conventions.

Guest 01-05-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest
I find it hard to believe that one state in the middle of nowhere can have so much pull on who will be president.

New Hampshire and super Tuesday don't help either. They sway voters to the winners because they want to be on the winners side. "I voted for him"

With the Floriday delegates being dissed because we decided to go ahead of the Feb Super Tuesday - why vote? Our delegates are not going to have a say at the conventions.

The media seems to be doing this more than individual voters. They seem to be implying that Obama has already become the Democratic candidate for President with Huckabee as the Republican and that seems to be far from the case at this stage.

Guest 01-05-2008 10:49 PM

It is a privilege to vote so do so when you can.

The Dems may change their mind at some point....if allowed....so ya might want to express your right.

BTK

Guest 01-05-2008 11:00 PM

A Couple Things ARE Pretty Certain Regarding The Presidential Primaries

First, like a football game, there is a considerable amount of momentum built up in the "preliminary" Presidential primaries or caucuses (Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada, Florida and Michigan). If a candidate begins to distance himself from the field within each party, his/her chances in subsequent primaries improve. That's simply he result of "the big mo'", momentum.

But for sure we'll all know who the candidates for President will be by the evening of February 5, less than a month from now. On that day the Presidential primaries will be held in about 2/3 of the states, a truly super-duper Tuesday.

Then we can get down to the real comparison between real candidates and await their "coronation" at their party conventions this summer.

Guest 01-06-2008 12:04 AM

Iowa is not considered a bellwether state. With regard to the first political toes dipped into untested water; in my opinion, it's not important as to who won the day, but rather, who did not. A harbinger perhaps?

Guest 01-06-2008 01:46 AM

It pays to remember who won the Democratic caucuses back in '04. It was Dean.
Think back even further and remember all the winners in Iowa that never got the nominations of their party.
So to me, alot of hoopla over nothing.

Guest 01-09-2008 05:22 PM

Iowa's showing sure looks different when viewed after the NH primary of yesterday.