Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What was your first car? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/what-your-first-car-11203/)

cabo35 01-05-2008 05:28 AM

What was your first car?

What was your first car and how did you modify it?

Do you remember your first date in your first car? Yes or no answers will protect the innocent but will probably be boring. You could always create a new identity.

I'd enjoy taking my 1949 Pontiac ragtop through the town centers if I had it today. Glass packs, skirts, Olds starfire spinners, nosed and the prettiest new turquoise paint job $29.95 could buy. Shame I lost pictures of it during one of several moves.

redwitch 01-05-2008 06:01 AM

Re: What was your first car?

My first car was an unbelievably ugly baby blue '62 (I think) Dodge Dart, but I loved that car.

Not sure I really had a "date" in that car since girls didn't ask guys out. I do remember one boy friend who had his car taken away and I used to pick him up but since he was a boy friend, we didn't really date anymore -- we just went everywhere together.

The only modification I made to the car was when I was kissing said boy friend while driving and managed to drive right over the curb and hit a tree. My mother was not too pleased.

Sgt Mac 01-05-2008 06:16 AM

I had a 66 Mustang I was seen to Germany then back to Viet Nam the car was left in my fathers barn in Mount Marion New York down the road from Woodstock
when I can home my car was out side for the last 18 mouth it had 4 flats, rust holes it only had 1400 miles and would not start it took 2 weeks in the shop and $1100 to put it back on the road I left for Seattle / Fort Lewis in it 6 days and sold it for $700

Da Sgt 8)

DENNIS G 01-05-2008 12:54 PM

My first car was a '41 Plymouth 2 door sedan. Paid $35.00 for it. It ran good but smoked like a steam engine. Had it for about 4 months, the engine died, so I took it to the scrap yard, got $15.00 for it. Had fun with it, but never had a date.

swrinfla 01-05-2008 07:25 PM

A '37 Pontiac "Business Coupe." Paid $75 for it in '53 (I think). Wasn't worth $7.50, as it drank more oil than gas and was suitable only to get me to a summer job about 20 miles from home. My Dad and I persuaded the dealer (Dad's friend) to take the junker back. He ended up having it crushed. Got a '46 Plymouth two-door sedan instead. A h--- of a lot more money (I think it cost about $300), but a wonderful car. Loved it, and kept it four-five years.
Dates in either of these cars? If so, they certainly weren't memorable enough for today's "feeble brain" to recall! :joke:

TIGER 01-05-2008 08:35 PM

I HAD A 1959 EDSEL CONVERTIBLE ALL WHITE WITH A BLACK TOP. REAL SHARP... HAD THE PUSH BUTTONS FOR DRIVE AND REVERSE ON THE STEERING WHEEL THAT LITUP. WISH I STILL HAD IT. ALSO HAD A 1967 MUSTAND HARD TOP. I LVE TO GO TO THE CAR SHOWS. TIGER...

The Great Fumar 01-05-2008 09:29 PM

this was not my first , but it was my alltime favorite. 1955 plymouth belvedere convertable.....
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...55PLYMOUTH.jpg

Taltarzac 01-05-2008 09:41 PM

1973(?) Chevy Nova that the previous owner had painted purple.

Was set for my first date but the blonde was a bit strange and threatened me with sicking her dog on me if I did not sit closer to her. Was a bit shy in 75.

zcaveman 01-05-2008 09:54 PM

I bought a 1947 Plymouth four door with a 6 cylinder flathead engine in 1959. $75.00. I learned a lot about cars with that baby. I replaced transmissions, clutches, tie rods. You name it. I reupholstered it and put in back sear speakers. My broher in law helped me paint it a baby blue. I did the dash in red.

Then I graduate from high school and joined the USMC. When I came back from boot, my parents had sold it.

I will never forget it.

KathieI 01-05-2008 11:01 PM

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about cars, obviously. All I know is they are white, red, silver, black or any other colors imaginable and have 4 tires and an engine.

But, my first car was a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, pink and white. What a bomb!!! I bought it for $80.00 and it cost me that same amount every week to fix it until I finally got rid of it to my cousin. (Lucky guy!!) It had all the gadgets, don't ask me what they were now its been too long ago, but I was high on the hog driving around in my own vehicle!! That was first and only car until 1977 when I moved to L.A. and I was happy about that. Mechanically inclined, I am not.

Kathie (I'd rather ride a crap)

Villages Kahuna 01-05-2008 11:17 PM

1960 Ford Falcon

A two-door green one with a stick shift (couldn't afford an automatic!). Here's a picture. That's me in the suit and tie looking at one in the showroom. I don't remember the blonde's name.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ord_falcon.jpg

bargee 01-05-2008 11:52 PM

1940 Mercury 5 window coupe.I bought in 1957 and it had 27,000 original on it.I added twin carbs,had the heads shaved and topped it off with dual exhausts and glasspacks(flamethrowers also) Much fun,wish I still had it.

chelsea24 01-06-2008 12:24 AM

My first car was not my favorite car, but it beat borrowing my Dad's old Blue Plymouth Station Wagon. My first car was a 1966 burgundy Chevy Impala. Dad got it used from a rental company, put a small down payment down and said, then told me I was on my own for the rest of the payments! LOL ;D I moved onto Cameros, but gave up sports cars when I was about 25 and drove 3/4 under a stopped semi-truck doing 55 miles an hour. When you see a wall of steel coming at you and you're sure you're going to die, even at 25 you start driving like an "old lady". :cop:

another Linda 01-06-2008 01:12 AM

My second car -- 1965 Comet Caliente Convertible, baby blue. Wonderful.

F16 1UB 01-06-2008 12:04 PM

1959 Corvette, Black, White Convertible Top, Black Hard top, 283, 3 spd, Red Lined Wide Ovals. Paid $1100 for the car. The steering wheel was as big as a trash can lid. And yes I wish I still had this 6 figured vehicle. 8)

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...dTour07013.jpg