Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Have you ever been a sports professional? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/have-you-ever-been-sports-professional-11221/)

Talk Host 01-06-2008 12:56 PM

Have you ever been a sports professional?

I play golf with a guy who played minor league hockey. He is really a great guy (a native canadian). It led me to wonder how many of our members were involved in professional sports.

renielarson 01-06-2008 03:11 PM

Re: Have you ever been a spots professional?

Of course! And the team nicknamed me Bright for my cheery disposition! 1rnfl :hot: 040

Sorry...couldn't pass that one up!

Russ_Boston 01-06-2008 04:28 PM

I wouldn't consider myself a professional but i do see spots all the time. Mostly they float in my left eye. I think i may have to have that looked at :joke:

KathieI 01-06-2008 05:01 PM

You're all too funny!! :clap2: :clap2:

Poor Jan, we never can let anything go, can we!! :joke:

Boomer, now I know who to go to for help with my spotted laundry! :bow:

Russ, me too, they're called "floaters", come with OLD AGE, sorry! :o

Kathie :redface:

ouma1938 01-06-2008 07:30 PM

Jan, just posted on former occupation thread but it applies to me here as well because I was a professional ice skater with Holiday on Ice. Turned pro after a bad car accident prevented me from training for competition. All happened 50 years and 50 lbs ago!

Talk Host 01-06-2008 08:08 PM

Re: Have you ever been a sports professional?

I corrected that misspelling once, but it didn't stay corrected somehow.

Peggy D 01-07-2008 12:33 AM

Not a professional, but did artistic team roller skating competitively. Started when I was 52
(talk about not growing up!) Had a partner. Won Regional competition and went to Nationals in Nebraska 2002.

It was all about that "pretty little dress"

Still roller skate for exercise and fun.

chuckinca 01-07-2008 04:06 AM

In my dreams

The Great Fumar 01-08-2008 01:04 AM

Ok Ok My wife tells me I have to admit this so here goes.....
I was a champion Tidily Winks Player when I was in High School until my senior year when I broke my tidily and was benched for the rest of the season......

sorry, Its just that its not easy to admit!!!!

Benched Fumar

redwitch 01-08-2008 02:01 AM

Not a pro but was a runner (5K cause girls couldn't run more than that but 10K was really my event) in college. Would have qualified for the '68 Olympics but decided to get in a car accident instead (ty CHP!).

doug11 01-17-2008 11:53 PM

It seems like light years ago, but i played baseball for the Atlanta Braves and the Montreal expos....Remember them? Kinda terrible for a kid that dreamed of playing for the Yankees... My first year playing, i got a whopping huge signing bonus of $23,000...
a good friend of mine got the largest bonus of all times of $100,000... he went on to an incredible career including managing the N Y Mets... I went into the Gourmet Coffee Business (thank God)... I would never have been able to retire on the $1,300 / month that i made my last year in Baseball...Great experience for a 18 year old in 1968..

living in Sebring til the market recovers then on to TV

Doug11

Russ_Boston 01-18-2008 03:28 AM

That's more than most Doug. Did you ever make the bigs?

I couldn't find a Doug or Douglas on those early Montreal Teams.

gfmucci 01-18-2008 04:40 AM

No. I've never even been a sports amateur. :dontknow: As the non-sports pro or amateur that I am, I wonder if this post belongs in "non-Villages discussions" like the other posts that were sent there?