Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Markets of Marion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/markets-marion-11296/)

REDCART 01-11-2008 01:59 AM

Markets of Marion

We've been to the flea market out of curiosity several times but there seems to be people addicted to flea markets, like some of us (not me of course) are addicted to TOTV? We bought a dog crate once when we couldn't find one in PetSmart of whatever that Pet store in Spanish Springs is called. Otherwise, we go, browse for an hour and come home saying "what were we thinking?" Are the veggies any cheaper at the flea market? They didn't seem to be. George

zcaveman 01-11-2008 02:24 AM

Re: Markets of Marion

Depending on what you are looking for, the Markets of Marion is a great place to shop. Kitchen stuff, used books, reading glasses, pictures and frames - very inexpensive custom made frames even if you bring in your own picture. I know I got hosed at Porters and they were cheaper than the Villages.

I don't do the veggies but a lot of my friends swear by them for freshness and taste.

And yes, sometimes I take in a list and come home with nothing and tell my wife - that was a waste of time. But that is seldom.

nONIE 01-11-2008 03:49 AM

We have shopped at Mkts. of Marion many times for veges fruits cheese etc. For the most part they are definitely fresher,and cheaper than your local grocery stores. Many of them are locally grown. We have been very happy with the produce.

Also lots of great other bargains for the flea market addict (like me). I never come home empty handed. Now its time to have a massive garage sale!!!Whats wrong with this picture? :dontknow:

Someone mentioned that they might be closing up, does anyone know if this is true?

redwitch 01-11-2008 05:25 AM

Okay, now I'm interested. Fresh produce farmer's market style, I gather. Not a flea market fan but definitely love fresh produce. So, any and all details would be appreciated. Such as, where is Markets of Marion? Days/hours of operation? What kind of produce? Herbs?

nONIE 01-11-2008 05:35 AM

Red,

Mkts of Marion is approximately 8 miles(rough guess) past the Villages on 44l. Heading north it is on the left hand side of road. Cant miss the sign, or the traffic heading in to it.

Open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays all day. All the produce is located in one spot (cant remember which Isle) to save you the agony of walking everywhere to find it, if your not a flea market person you will appreciate this. Good luck, enjoy!

Hope2b 01-11-2008 10:59 AM

You can drive around to the back of the market to park right near the produce. I am not a flea market fan but like the produce. Having it set up so I don't have to wander all over the market is a real plus.

redwitch 01-11-2008 12:07 PM

Okay, really stupid question -- is north towards Ocala or Leesburg? I rarely get lost but I am seriously directionally challenged.

l2ridehd 01-11-2008 12:19 PM

There are many ways to think about this. If the sun always rises in the East, so facing the sun, your right hand will point South and your left hand will point North. However if you prefer the sun on your back in the morning, then your left hand would point South and your right hand North. So starting in the Villages, almost anywhere bit OBH, go East in the morning toward the sunrise. When YOU GET TO 441/27 you would turn left, North, toward Ocala. Go right for Leesburg. If you prefer to go in the afternoon, will send different directions.

bargee 01-11-2008 12:20 PM

Ocala

redwitch 01-11-2008 01:49 PM

l2 -- I actually know all of that. It just doesn't seem to register in my mind. Heck, I play bridge where north, south, east and west are semi-important in knowing where to sit. If a table didn't have a card telling me where north was, I'd get confused from one table to the next. As I said, directionally challenged. :dontknow:

Bargee, thank you! I might even remember it for more than a day or two. ;)

Taltarzac 01-11-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch
l2 -- I actually know all of that. It just doesn't seem to register in my mind. Heck, I play bridge where north, south, east and west are semi-important in knowing where to sit. If a table didn't have a card telling me where north was, I'd get confused from one table to the next. As I said, directionally challenged. :dontknow:

Bargee, thank you! I might even remember it for more than a day or two. ;)

Redwitch? I can relate. I used to have a compass in my car as I liked to take night drives. This did help a little bit. It was one of those compasses which attach to the dashboard. This was when I was wandering the West back in the early to mid-1980s.

beady 01-11-2008 02:34 PM

I love Market of Marion for produce and fruit. Fresh, some recently picked locally. How can you beat a 2 lb bag of baby spinach for $1.00.
The rest of the market is hit or miss, depends on what you are looking for!!!!!!

nONIE 01-11-2008 03:08 PM

Beady, I am looking for everything!!!! ;D

chuckinca 01-12-2008 03:10 PM

I believe it is only open on Friday (closes at 3:30), Saturday and Sunday.

Red: Go to the Wal-Mart on 441 and keep going another 8 (or so) miles and it is on the left.

After you are done go another 3 miles in the same direction and have a pizza at Belleview Pizza (the yellow building on the left) about a half mile past the 301 intersection. You could return taking 301 to 466 (instead of backtracking on 441)

Check out this map - enlarge the view so that you can see Belleview and Lake Sumter on one page

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTEx...0FL%2C%2034491

l2ridehd 01-12-2008 03:25 PM

Your making it to easy Chuck. 1rnfl I was helping her learn directions and be able to relate bridge, driving, sunrise and always be able to find her way anytime of the day. :arrow: :clap2: 040 040 And red, when I get there, would love to know which are the good bridge groups. Is there a duplicate one for singles? Used to play a lot, got some masters points, but have been away from it a long long time. But it's a great game.