Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   What's behind your TOTV name and picture? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/whats-behind-your-totv-name-picture-11328/)

Barbi 01-13-2008 10:27 AM

What's behind your TOTV name and picture?

I'm slightly curious about the names and pictures we choose to use for TOTV. Some of us have a straight forward simple use of our first name and many have a "handle" we go by. Some of us put our real pictures out there others put avatars out there.

What draws you to use or not use your real name & pictures?

What motivates you to change your picture from time to time?

If you use a "handle" what is the story, the soul, the essence, roots, spirit, simplicity, mystery behind the name you choose.

Barbi

Hope2b 01-13-2008 11:17 AM

Re: What's behind your TOTV name and picture?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbi
I'm slightly curious about the names and pictures we choose to use for TOTV. Some of us have a straight forward simple use of our first name and many have a "handle" we go by. Some of us put our real pictures out there others put avatars out there.

What draws you to use or not use your real name & pictures?

What motivates you to change your picture from time to time?

If you use a "handle" what is the story, the soul, the essence, roots, spirit, simplicity, mystery behind the name you choose.

Barbi

You first ;D

redwitch 01-13-2008 01:09 PM

PIC: The pic is my daughter and me shortly after she moved in with me (the adoption was finalized 4 years later due to some major court battles). Changing a pic takes effort, so you guys are stuck with this for awhile.

NAME: When she'd been with me about 3 months, she was playing with the snow globes in the dining room while I was cleaning the bathroom. I told her to put the snow globe down. She came running in and asked how I knew. I told her I now had "mommy eyes in the back of my head." Later, when I sat down, she started parting my hair in the back. This continued halfway down my back. All of a sudden, with eyes as huge as I'd ever seen, she said, "You don't have eyes in the back of your head .... you're a WITCH" Took me about 3 months to get her to come near me after that.

Well, when I had to come up with an online name, she looked at me like I was nuts as I struggled to come up with something that fit me. "Duh, Mom, redwitch." And I've been RW ever since. (Yes, the hair is red and I think she now pronounces the W with a B.)

l2ridehd 01-13-2008 01:37 PM

Simple. The picture is me enjoying one of my passions in life. That was taken in front of one of many a favorite winery in Sonoma CA. Life is to short to drink cheap wine. ;D My ID is also part of a favorite passtime l2ridehd is short hand for "love to ride Harley Davidsons".

Avista 01-13-2008 02:56 PM

Avista is the name of the street on which I lived in Tampa. The picture is real.

Donna 01-13-2008 05:46 PM

My picture is of my Missouri Fox Trotter, Rusty I plan to get a new pic this summer of my two horses..
The pic of me was taken this past summer..http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/brunhest1.gif

My name of course is my real name..http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...heresmiley.gif

renielarson 01-13-2008 07:19 PM

brightspot: That is what my children and grandchildren are in my life. http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...all_md_wht.gif

01: When I chose this nic years ago someone already had taken it on the site I was on so I had to add the numbers behind it to get it.

My pic: I was in a flamboyant mood at the time. http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...wirlyhippy.gif It will change often-sometimes you'll see the real me and others times you won't.

KathieI 01-13-2008 10:56 PM

Well, mine's pretty easy. Kathie is my real name and that's me in the picture a few years ago (acting shy, of course :redface:) but its how I still feel today:

[center]
Glamorous, charismatic, fun-loving

and... ummmm.. let's see what other adjectives did the thesaurus mention...

oh yes, a lot younger and skinnier.....

Oh Well, I can dream, can't I!!!

Ok, Barbi, now explain your picture please. Thanks, Kathie

nONIE 01-13-2008 11:23 PM

OK Barbi! I've been waiting for this. You have to tell us about yours too! By the way great Topic to put out there, I love it!!!!

Mine is so easy its boring! its me, (just a few short years ago) LOL! Time goes so fast I just cant remember how long ago it actually was! (And if you believe that one, well you know the rest)

Thats my real name and Im wondering if its really a good thing to be so darn honest! Live and learn.

It was taken in Hawaii and the bird I fell in love with in a pet shop. They tried to convince me to buy as much as I wanted that birdie, wouldnt hear of it. They basically stuff them in a cardboard toilet paper roll and ship it to you by air. Couldnt stand the thought.

So tell us Barbie who is the gorgeous girl in the picture????? ;)

ouma1938 01-14-2008 12:42 AM

Name comes from my South African heritage, Ouma is Grandma in Afrikaans, and 1938 is the year I was born. So, ouma1938.

The picture is of one of my birds, a cockatiel ("rooster"tiel when its censored) named Loopy. He is a little love and gives me a wolf whistle first thing every morning. Its fun to wake up to.

The Great Fumar 01-14-2008 03:09 AM

The picture is me 20 years ago and the name I stole from LAMONT CRANSTON............
da shadow do !!!! fumar

Barbi 01-15-2008 12:12 AM

English,
If I read you right, English teacher and TV?. I know who to call on for help with my TOTV messages & typing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by English
My next place to live and my profession.

handieman 01-15-2008 12:46 AM

Barbi? Is that Tom Cruise's wife the model ummmmm????
Handie :joke:

Barbi 01-15-2008 01:00 AM

I think I owe a big thanks to all who answered. You are wonderful!! However I still see a lot of interesting names unexplained so keep the posts coming. I had so many thoughts as I read your replies I decided to capture them in one note.

Hope2B – My real name is Barbara --- professional photo just a few “women” years back and similar to your name. I know, boring – I may change my name to something with more spirit if I can figure out how do it.

RedWitch - loved your story and photo. Shows compassion and fun. I doubt your daughter uses the B.

I2ridehd – You too are inspiring me to change my name to something with more passion.

Avista – new years resolution to live on a street in TV by year end

English – I’m still guessing at yours but think I got it

Donna – I love horses and your choice of picture

Brightspot –I think a few guys are interested in the picture and agree grandchildren are your name.

Kathie – You know I’m looking for Ken and need your help. I’m counting on you.

Barb1191 – I want to be in that picture too.

Nonie – You’re not boring and I like your name. Glad you didn’t ship the bird.

Ouma1938 – Learned a new name for grandma. You and Nonie need to get together for birdie fun day.

Great Fumar – I bow to you.

Barbi 01-15-2008 01:04 AM

Come on handie I'm the one asking the question. Lets hear your answer first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by handieman
Barbi? Is that Tom Cruise's wife the model ummmmm????

nONIE 01-15-2008 01:09 AM

Barbi,

Another interesting fact about Ouma and I, Both our names mean grandma in different languages. Oumas in Afrikaans and mine in Italian. What could this all mean???? And, we do plan on a get together for a birdie fun day. hmmmmm!

nhsnowbird 01-15-2008 01:27 AM

NHSNOWBIRD ... tells it's own story. We are from New Hampshire and we are snowbirds. No picture ... I was absent that day.

beady 01-15-2008 03:40 PM

Haven't figured out the picture part yet, probably will be of my pooch....much better to look at than me!!!

The name......Beady.....cause I love working with beads.

MSNPA 01-15-2008 04:06 PM

When I moved here in July I was homesick and husbandless so when I registered for TOTV I used MSNPA - "Missing Pennsylvania" (Missin PA). Not so much homesick any longer, but I will stick with this handle.

The Gray Hog 01-16-2008 03:45 AM

Our truck 'monster' is a gray hog we used for RV'ing the past couple of years.

chelsea24 01-16-2008 05:01 AM

Chelsea was the name of my first cat. Given to me when I was really ill for about a year and a half. I think he pulled me through. Was reading an Agatha Christie book at the time and Chelsea was taken from the mystery. Have a replica of the Chelsea street sign from London in my office. The picture is a sketch about 9 years ago done in Paris. As I've told others and it's true, I told the artist I would pay him double if he would make it very flattering and he did! Actually I should have paid him triple Lol Younger, thinner and dreamy (I had just gotten engaged to my husband that day.) wav

Taltarzac 01-16-2008 02:58 PM

Taltarzac is from the first 3 letters of the first names of people dear to me. For instance, the Beatles (John, Paul, Ringo, and George) would be Johpauringeo. The Three Stooges in one of their various manifestations would be Moecurlar. (Moe, Curly, and Larry).

My current picture is Ma Kettle (Marjorie Main). She shares my birthday 2-24 like the other people I have had up as my avatars like Winslow Homer (birthday 2-24-1836) and one of the Grimm brothers of the Fairy Tales fame. I would rather put up Billy Zane (also born February 24) but I am sure all the pictures of him are protected by the copyright of the photographer.

I had Will Rogers up for a while too just because I like a lot of his views.

Boomer 01-17-2008 03:29 AM

-no picture, but as for my name...

Boomer - obvious reason

BeBack - A little story...

Remember the days of those high pressure sales pitches for timeshares for everything from campsites to condos to cruises? A free meal could bait you through the door. The sales people had a name for those who would show up, eat, listen politely to the spiel for the deal that was good "for today only" and then try to make a gracious exit by saying that they would be back. They called those people the "BeBacks" and knew they would never be back.

I visited TV and I listened and I learned stuff. But I might actually be back some day.

The Great Fumar 01-17-2008 03:54 AM

All right , As long as everyone else is doing it I guess I will too.
I used to winter in Destin FL ...One day while coming down the elevator with a friend I noticed on the wall a sign that said "NO SMOKING , NO FUMAR" Upon reaching the lobby I complained to the desk that someone had been
Fumaring in the elevator, they asked "smoking ??" I answered " no not smoking , fumaring and it smells terrible "..Well they never let me forget it and still call me Mr. Fumar to this day....I really don't think the girls at THE ISLANDER IN DESTIN know what my real name is....
PS Sometimes when I would leave to go play golf one of the girls would speak over the loudspeaker in the parking lot "FUMAR HAS LEFT THE BUILDING"......
I still send them a Christmas Card and sign it FUMAR..... ;D ;D ;D

another Linda 01-17-2008 01:52 PM

Could have sworn we did this before, but some of us (me?) have a few memory problems. Current memories, that is, not ancient memories. My name comes from the 4th grade, I think, when I was starting a new school. When the teacher introduced me, the cutest boy in the whole class said oh, no, not another Linda! As I remember there were 6 Lindas that year. Wonder what happened to that boy? Did God smite him for embarrassing me?

Taltarzac 01-17-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another Linda
Could have sworn we did this before, but some of us (me?) have a few memory problems. Current memories, that is, not ancient memories. My name comes from the 4th grade, I think, when I was starting a new school. When the teacher introduced me, the cutest boy in the whole class said oh, no, not another Linda! As I remember there were 6 Lindas that year. Wonder what happened to that boy? Did God smite him for embarrassing me?

I do remember your story, Another Linda. :bigthumbsup:

nONIE 01-17-2008 02:48 PM

Linda, what a cute story!Hope that boy didnt tramatize you for life!! Insensitive kids can say things that can really affect you for a long time to come! Remember ;) your special, not just another Linda!

chelsea24 01-17-2008 06:04 PM

Guess what another Linda, my real name is Linda too! I certainly know that feeling and also tons of girls in grade school and high school sharing our name. If someone called out that name in my high school hallway, half the girls would turn around. Lol On a brighter note, the name Linda does mean beautiful or lovely in Spanish, so I guess for you and me . . . that's not too shabby! Glad to know you, another Linda from another Linda. :bigthumbsup:

golfnut 01-17-2008 08:54 PM

I believe mine is self explanatory (I do golf a least once a day sometimes twice).

SteveFromNY 01-17-2008 10:09 PM

No picture for no reason.

The name is self explanatory too.

Sorry to be soooo boring!

another Linda 01-17-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelsea24
Guess what another Linda, my real name is Linda too! ...

Wonder how many of us there are? and what were our parents thinking? Noni, nope, not traumatized but perhaps that is why my kids have less common names.

scottke 01-18-2008 11:58 AM

No picture - too shy - I'll wait until TV for that. Handle is part of last name and part of first name.

Barbi 01-19-2008 03:04 AM

Great stories!!! We could write a book. You all make me think I'm a bore. I might start Club Boring. All those with no pictures & real names please sign up now. I'd preside and call for a meeting but don't think we'd have anything to discuss. LOL to all. Dear god get me life in TV. I need to change my ways.

Russ_Boston 01-21-2008 12:49 PM

My avatar isn't tough to guess - I LOVE golf! That's why I'm choosing TV. I've used my real pic a few times but I change it to a golf pic most of the time.

The handle is obvious also - I live near Boston and love the city. I have that handle on almost every site on the Internet so if you are playing on-line poker or the like and see the name Russ_Boston, it is probably me!

Barefoot 01-21-2008 02:18 PM

"Barefoot at Last" - simply expresses my relief at finally being able to kick back and relax. :bigthumbsup:

ConeyIsBabe 02-20-2008 11:21 PM

I just discovered this fun-topic so I'm BUMPING it up for the newbies.

I was born in Coney Island, Brooklyn NY and that's why I chose my handle. I change my photo every day or so, cuz it's boring to keep looking at the same one ;D

pm10 02-21-2008 12:00 AM

pm10 - ours is for Paul and Marcia - and when we originally saw TV and decided to make it our future home, we were planning on the move for 2010. Happily we have now decided to make TV our home in 2009! Hoooooray!!!!

Mikitv 02-21-2008 12:31 AM

Easy to explain: Miki from Arkansas nothing fancy. no pictures yet

Mintjulep 02-21-2008 01:45 AM

Describes my personality,
kinda sweet (to some at least), a little spicy, sometimes too strong, and very southern.

But wish I could be a margarita....

handieman 02-21-2008 03:20 AM

Handieman
Cause I am. ;D Need anything taken care of?? I'm soon relocating to TV and practicing what I preach