Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Topic removed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/topic-removed-11397/)

tony 01-17-2008 05:24 PM

Topic removed

Unless somebody has official, direct knowledge about crimes committed at a specific place he or she should not post. It is not fair to any establishment to associate it with a terrible felony.

In that spirit, I removed such a post.

Please think twice about posts such as that, and be certain, not I heard from a friend of a friend who heard about a report his friend's buddy saw.

KathieI 01-17-2008 06:08 PM

Re: Topic removed

Good catch, Tony. :agree:

jtdraig 01-17-2008 06:32 PM

A+++++ Tony....Thanks....

Taltarzac 01-17-2008 06:34 PM

That's the problem with this kind of anonymous board. You often do not know who is posting such a rumor let alone why. Some people on the Internet just spread rumors for fun.

On the other hand though, the Villages Daily Sun does not report that much that reflects poorly on the Villages-- the reporters probably do not want to bite the hands that feed them.

tony 01-17-2008 07:02 PM

If it is fact, I think we can safely post it here, no matter who objects. Determination of fact can be difficult and we have to judge each item on its own merit.

Asking if a rumor is true, with specifics about who it happened to and where it happened, could further the rumor, which to start with is of uncertain or doubtful truth. Any attempt after the original post to stop the rumor seems to further it.

The attempts to stop the rumor are sincere and commendable, but I don't want to let damage rest forever in these posts by leaving the original rumor posted.

I kind of compare this to the old yellow journalistic tactic of asking somebody if he still beats his wife. If the answer is no, then the headline reads "Smith no longer beats his wife." The headline was correct, but it just wasn't right.

Taltarzac 01-17-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony
If it is fact, I think we can safely post it here, no matter who objects. Determination of fact can be difficult and we have to judge each item on its own merit.

Asking if a rumor is true, with specifics about who it happened to and where it happened, could further the rumor, which to start with is of uncertain or doubtful truth. Any attempt after the original post to stop the rumor seems to further it.

The attempts to stop the rumor are sincere and commendable, but I don't want to let damage rest forever in these posts by leaving the original rumor posted.

I kind of compare this to the old yellow journalistic tactic of asking somebody if he still beats his wife. If the answer is no, then the headline reads "Smith no longer beats his wife." The headline was correct, but it just wasn't right.

I was away from the computer for a few hours so do not know what the original rumor even was... but it is a good idea to remove stuff you are unsure of. The poster can always do more research and try again later??

KathieI 01-17-2008 07:13 PM

As usual, Tony, well said.... :agree: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

jjdees 01-17-2008 09:50 PM

Tony, I liked your analogy "asking somebody if he still beats his wife. If the answer is no, then the headline reads "Smith no longer beats his wife." Sounds an awful lot like our mainstream media and newspapers today. lol

lm01 01-17-2008 10:57 PM

We all need to be careful about these kinds of post and if the story does not smell right we have a job to forward it to one of the admin guys of this site.

Thanks for taking it off.

Talk Host 01-18-2008 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjdees
Tony, I liked your analogy "asking somebody if he still beats his wife. If the answer is no, then the headline reads "Smith no longer beats his wife." Sounds an awful lot like our mainstream media and newspapers today. lol

Whatdaya think Tony did for 45 years?

Donna 01-18-2008 03:13 AM

OH..What did I miss??http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...cratchhead.gif

tony 01-18-2008 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host
Whatdaya think Tony did for 45 years?

Did he say 45 years? 45 years?

jht 01-18-2008 03:41 AM