Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Fads (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/fads-11411/)

Talk Host 01-19-2008 01:20 AM

Fads

How man Villages residents had White Buck Shoes? (That's the only fad I can think of ;D ;D)

nONIE 01-19-2008 01:38 AM

Re: Fads

Black leather bell bottom pants, boy were they hot in the summer!

Also gobs and gobs of angora wrapped around your boyfriends high school ring so it would fit!

Muncle 01-19-2008 02:39 AM

Engineer boots, to go with the Levi jeans and white tee shirt with the Camels or Luckies rolled up in the sleeve.

redwitch 01-19-2008 02:52 AM

White go-go boots. ewwwwww

Madras shorts. double ewwwwww

Bellbottoms -- the bigger the better. yesssssssssss

Nehru jackets (mine was paisley) -- loved it

Boomer 01-19-2008 02:56 AM

Darn it, Nonie,

I was not going to take the time to post this evening. You see, I have really important things to do like watch "Monk" in a few minutes. But when you said that about the boyfriend's ring and the angora, I had a flashback and I could not resist.

Besides, I want to know if high school girls anywhere else in the country did this.

Here goes:

The boyfriend's ring was wrapped with ribbon so that it would fit. But it did not stop there. Wrapping the ribbon through for the few times it took to close the size gap just was not enough for us small town girls.

After we made the size right, we would fold the ribbon back and forth and back and forth, like folding a little fan, until we had a great big thing (for lack of a better word) that could reach from the palm nearly to the top of the first knuckle up if we really had too much time on our hands. (Yes, I know. Groan.)

But Wait! There's More!

After we had created the huge blob of ribbon, we would turn it to stone with layer after layer of clear nail polish. Sometimes we would add glitter or paint on initials or hearts with colored nail polish. We created some of the most hideous art forms you could ever imagine.

Of course, after spending all this time making these messes, we would spend the next day at school showing them off.

What were we thinking?

It's amazing that any of us ever got enough school work done to graduate.

And sometimes you could only get those things off the ring by using a razor blade which could get a little bloody if you were in a hurry.

This token of love could also create drama or injury if you threw it at your boyfriend in one of those breakup fits. And by doing that you had the added fun of thinking about him trying to get the mess off his precious ring.

OK, it's out there. Now you all know more than you ever wanted to know about a fad in my little high school in the midwest. I have not thought about this for many, many years. But this gives me the chance to finally find out if this was some weird tribal custom or if the fad reached from sea to shining sea.

So are you girls going to let me just hang out here in embarrassment or will somebody please tell me that you know exactly what I am talking about. (I guess there's always the delete button - that I finally found.)

BB :)

nONIE 01-19-2008 03:22 AM

Boomer, That was so funny, Thanks for elaborating, I just cant believe what you girls went thru, that is really a labor of love, at least until you threw it back at the guy! lol

Boomer 01-19-2008 03:25 AM

Thanks Nonie,

Between doing all that and teasing my hair to the point where it resembled a motorcycle helmet, I kept pretty busy.

BB

KathieI 01-19-2008 03:48 AM

Boomer/Nonie, sorry I never went steady so I never wore a boy's ring, boo hoo!!!

But, what about the flair skirt with the poodle on it. (I didn't have one, they weren't allowed in da bronx), Also, what about ponytails, ??

Did anyone wear chignons in their hair in the 50's? Or was that a NY thing?

Later on, it was mini skirts and midi skirts and hot pants!!! Remember those? That was more in the 70's but still a long time ago.

Kathie

JohnnyM 01-19-2008 03:55 AM

For the guys; saddle stitching and pegged pants!

redwitch 01-19-2008 04:39 AM

Oops, did forget the hot pants. How could I????

We used dental floss on the rings, then pink (and it had to be light pink -- no other color was allowed) fingernail polish. I had really small hands so it would take me at least one thing of floss and forever to wrap the dang ring. And, yes, it was fun to think of the work the guy would have to do to get the stuff off if we got into a fight. Course, there was always rewrapping when we got back together.

LovinItAtTheVillages 01-19-2008 04:49 AM

Hip hugger bell bottoms for me please

long blonde hair with bangs like Allison McKenzie in my freshman yr
and mini skirts with hems as short as my hair was long

twiggy haircut in 67

white go go boots

redwitch 01-19-2008 05:31 AM

Now, how many remember who Allison McKenzie was?

My hair was long -- almost to knees. Everyone I knew ironed their hair or slept in the frozen OJ cans. Mine was disgustingly straight.

nONIE 01-19-2008 05:34 AM

Red, you just brought back some really funny memories of me leaning over the ironing board and steam ironing my hair to straighten it. ::)

redwitch 01-19-2008 05:49 AM

Jan, you're bringing back some weird memories. Next thing I know, you're going to ask if we inhaled. ;)

Donna 01-19-2008 05:54 AM

You guys brought back so many good memories..

What about all the fads with the Muscle Cars???http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/sportcar2.gif

Drive In Movies..Beach Parties...8 Track Players...Disco Days...Platform Shoes..Button Earrings...Huck-A-Poo Shirts..Tube Tops..Fake Eyelashes..http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...tersmileys.gif

BB..I too love Monk...