Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Pavers or no pavers...that is the question! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/pavers-no-pavers-question-11417/)

Fritz and Barb 01-19-2008 03:07 PM

Pavers or no pavers...that is the question!

We are trying to decide if we should have pavers for our driveway. Recent forum discussions revealed problems with maintenance, cracking, etc. They look great, but I'm not sure if we are just asking for future problems. We would appreciate any input that you all might have. Thanks Fritz and Barb

lm01 01-19-2008 03:25 PM

Re: Pavers or no pavers...that is the question!

I have not had a problem with mine but I would imagine it depends on the driveway being level. I do seal coat my pavers every year with an acrylic wet look sealer from Home Depot. But I do that myself and it gives a nice look. The sealer keeps the color from fading. My pavers are about 5 years old

Good luck

JohnN 01-19-2008 03:32 PM

how much do pavers cost installed? just curious on this topic

lm01 01-19-2008 03:52 PM

Best to get an estimate depends on the driveway size

KathieI 01-19-2008 04:22 PM

Are there any rules about what you can do to your driveway? I like the look of pavers but wasn't sure if they are allowed?

Kathie :redface:

lm01 01-19-2008 04:35 PM

Yes they are allowed just get permission

KathieI 01-19-2008 04:43 PM

Great!! Thanks Im01.

nONIE 01-19-2008 04:51 PM

neighbors next door just put down pavers(in tv).They look absolutely beautiful! Thinking of doing ours also. Only problem we can see is if they are under an oak tree, good possibility of serious staining.

Time for Tee 01-19-2008 05:22 PM

I do not think that you can put down pavers in the Courtyard Villa,s. That was one of the first things that someone told me as we were moving into the Villa,s in Belvedere. I would check first on this issue. Everything has to be the same as the look would be one with pavers, one with paint, etc.and one with nothing.

cabo35 01-19-2008 06:39 PM

We've had pavers for about two years. The driveway sees a lot of traffic with our car, large SUV and motorcycle. About half a dozen cracked and the installer always responded by replacing them at no charge. Now we have two or three with hairline cracks and write them off as adding character to the driveway. We may or may not replace them in the future as we have a very large driveway and you have to know where they are to find them. That is the only issue we ever had and feel the aesthetics far outweigh the occasional crack. Just our opinion. I'm sure others may differ. The annual sealing mentioned by lm01 is important. Hope this is helpful.

Fritz and Barb 01-20-2008 12:13 PM

Thanks for all of the info. Is a painted driveway a good alternative and how much does a good job cost? Fritz and Barb

Becky 01-20-2008 12:39 PM

I called to see about painting and they gave me a very rough estimate of figuring about $1.75 sq. ft. Also she pointed out, it also depends on the design you choose. They can also to a custom design. I figured it would be about $800-$1000 for a two car wide driveway without a golfcart garage. Just a ball-park figure but gives me an idea. Sorry can't remember who it was.

Anyone have a better idea?

Becky

bsliny 01-20-2008 01:32 PM

I got estimates ranging from $3700 to $4600 for 920 square feet of pavers

I'm having mine done by A/C exteriors i've seen there work and got several
good recomendations about them

nyclicker 01-20-2008 02:14 PM

I personally would leave the driveway as is. If you don’t like the tire marks you sometimes get, power wash the driveway once and a while. It’s just another thing to worry about. I would rather spend the money on additional landscaping or the interior of the home. Just my opinion.

MMC24 01-20-2008 04:20 PM

[quote=nyclicker ]
I personally would leave the driveway as is. If you don't like the tire marks you sometimes get, power wash the driveway once and a while. It's just another thing to worry about. I would rather spend the money on additional landscaping or the interior of the home. Just my opinion.

I agree with NYClicker but went just a little beyond leaving just a plain cement driveway. I had a blue geometric design painted around the edges of the driveway. It just dressed it up enough to give a custom driveway appearance. Cost under $200.00. Clear coat the entire driveway after the paint job and it will last for years.

Villages Kahuna 01-21-2008 05:52 PM

If You Choose An Experienced Contractor, No Problems!

We had Old World Paving install ours and it looks terrific. Not even one cracked paver in going on two years. Re-sealing needs to be done every 2-3 years. You can do it yourself or have them do it.

A neighbor down our street had pavers installed by a landscape company. They were inexperienced with the product and didn't properly prepare the transition from garage floor to slightly sloping driveway properly. Now every single paver across the entire front of our neighbor's garage is cracked or broken. And the landscaper somehow isn't answering his phone.

Get a good, experienced contractor like Old World and the installation will go like a dream.

mailme 01-21-2008 08:32 PM

We've heard that if they don't put them on a bed of sand on the driveway, they will crack eventually. Some do this, some don't. Any sand first members out there?

mm