Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   orthopedic surgeon (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/orthopedic-surgeon-11437/)

somerset72 01-20-2008 11:29 PM

orthopedic surgeon

Has anyone used Dr. James Duke out of Ocala for surgery?

Talk Host 01-21-2008 12:07 AM

Re: orthopedic surgeon

I have heard very, very, very good things about him.

I personally used Dr. Hunt. It was my experience that he did not listen to what I had to say. Over my objections, he injected my shoulder with Cortisone on two different occasions, even after I told him the pain was not in my shoulder, rather in my bicep. He said, "nonsense." As a result, my bicep tore completely away from the tendon and I now have a detached bicep on the right side. My shoulder does not now, nor has it ever had a problem.

You could see in his eyes that he was not paying the slightest bit of attention to what I had to say. This is my opinion.

Jan Williams 03-09-2008 11:47 PM

Have heard good things about him. His partner, Dr. Riley, did rotator cuff surgery on my husband. We were very pleased.

Villages Kahuna 03-10-2008 04:13 AM

I'll Travel Back To Northwestern Memorial In Chicago For Elective Surgery, But..

...I did attend a seminar on hip replacement surgery using the anterior (small incision in the front of the hip) by Dr. Joe Locker. I know that the anterior approach is pretty much the future of hip replacements. But so far, not many orthopods are opting to change over to the new, less invasive and faster recovery procedure. Locker is among only a handful in the entire State of Florida doing the procedure. He's done about 200 hip replacements using the new anterior approach. He's also a general othopod, also specializing in kness, shoulders and sports medicine. He's a pretty impressive yoiung man.

If I didn't have a longstanding relationship with an orthpedic surgeon in Chicago (who tells me that he hasn't done a hip replacement using other than the anterior method for over three years), I'd probably use Joe Locker. Here's a link to his bio...

macapecod 04-19-2008 03:10 AM

Have heard good comments about Dr Duke. Don't know what surgery you will be needing, but Dr Kerina in Leesburg does more knee replacements than any other Dr in the area. My husband has had both done (not at the same time), with excellent results for both.

Pookirgirl 12-10-2010 08:01 PM

The only thing I don't care for with using Dr. Duke is: you don't get to see him before your surgery. You see an assistant. I like to meet my doc and speak with him personally. I used Dr. David Ethier in Bellview. Surgery was in Munroe Regional in Ocala. I can only say "wonderful doctor!"

michaelkir 12-11-2010 06:44 AM

I had a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago, done by Dr Duke. From start to finish his office, the hosp. and the Pt were first class. I was hitting balls on the driving range at 18 days out of surgery. I am now playing 18 almost pain free. His office calls you back, does a great job with insurance and with follow up. Yes, you do see his Assistant before you see the Dr but she is great and does an evaluation. He is very professional, listens to you, and is always engaging. The West Marion Hosp does a lot of replacement parts work and the staff and Hosp are great. If you would like more send a private message to me...hope this helped. Oh. I had my other knee replaced by another Dr about 13 years ago so I do have something to compare it to.