Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cost of pools (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cost-pools-11462/)

jojo 01-22-2008 03:26 PM

Cost of pools

Several home ads say "room for pool." What is the general range of costs for a medium size pool - maybe with a waterfall? What advice would you give regarding to add a pool or not? We are planning to live in TV year round.

Donna 01-22-2008 03:41 PM

Re: Cost of pools

JOJO..
I have always been curious about that too..Glad you asked..http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wink2.gif

punkpup 01-22-2008 04:55 PM

We will be shopping for a Courtyard Villa on a lot large enough to build a pool. Some friends of ours who bought a CV based on the word of the salesperson assuring them that the lot would accomodate a pool neglected to mention that construction of a pool is actually dependent on what we in MA call a "DIGSAFE" investigation which reveals whether ther are any underground utilities and/or pipelines which would prohibit excavation to install a pool. Needless to say that after the CV was purchased and a site inspection completed it revealed that in fact it would not be possible to build a pool! My friends were furious but because they had already closed on the home they were stuck and all attempts to reverse the sale and find another CV which would accomodate a pool were denied! BTW the site inspection I believe applies to any home not just CV's.

As to the type of pool you wish to install I have found many options ranging from a few thousand dollars to many thousands of dollars. If you'd like more info, PM me.

golfnut 01-22-2008 09:27 PM

I'd estimate $50,000 to $75,000.

chuckinca 01-22-2008 09:57 PM

A pool is like a boat - a hole in the water (ground for pool) that you throw money into.

REDCART 01-23-2008 01:15 AM

Punkpup, The only utilities behind a CYV is the common backyard drain that we know of. Since it connects the back yards of all the CYV's in the line, I could see why it couldn't be moved or disturbed. Gas, Electric, Tel and Cable generally lie in the front of the CYV bet the street and the garage. Just Curious if you know? George

Bubbalarry 01-23-2008 01:59 AM

I have a swim spa back in NJ thats 4'5 feet deep and 8' X 14. That size should work in a CYV I would think.

The backyard has concrete and shouldn't cover any utilities, so perhaps a downsized or smaller pool thats not deep might work. :hot:

punkpup 01-23-2008 05:47 AM

gryoung,

I have to admit hat I did not pay attention to what utility exactly it was our friends said was the problem but I can totally understand why a drain would be an impediment to an in ground pool lol. I know that in most instances gas, electric, telephone, cable, water and sewer generally can be found in the front in newer communities but here in Boston you never know what you might find lol. Definitely a case of old versus new infrastructure.

Oshunluva is correct that an Endless Pool can be installed either above or in ground as is Bubbalarry in reference to Swim Spas.

Talk Host 01-23-2008 10:54 AM

We have a 20X40 inground pool that was installed after the house was built. We love it and use it every day. It is fully automatic (clorine-cleaning-filling-overflow). My guess is that the final price tag about 3 years ago was $45,000. It included the concrete around the pool and the cage.

The pool is very nice. However the installation was a nightmare. We used a very well known company from Leesburg. It was a screaming match on the phone with them nearly ever day. Weeks would go by and nobody would show up. I would call about it and they would promise to be here "today" or "tomorrow." Another week would go by before they came. For the entire four months, we met no one on the construction crew who spoke english. It was an absolute nightmare.

Be careful who you chose to do the work. But, how do you know which one to choose. :dontknow:

BUC 01-23-2008 01:21 PM

$50,000.00 pool is OK, but a small fence is not? What's next an above ground pool out back!

villages07 01-23-2008 02:08 PM

BUC... it's not about costs; it's about aesthetics. I seriously doubt that any request to install an above ground pool would be approved. I have seen square hot tubs placed on screened in lanai slabs.

As many have stated before, allowing random fences would seriously detract from the overall beauty of our community. The alternatives that others have presented...a courtyard villa or a large screened in lanai or an invisible fence.... are the options for containing dogs. If a fenced-in yard is a must-have for you, then The Villages is not your place.

jmarkohio 01-23-2008 02:15 PM

We are in the process of having a 14X28 pool installed in our CYV (actually in the back yard). The pool company got the OK from TV and applied for all permits. There are two drains in the yard but they were not an issue. A inspector comes out before they start a new phase. The cost including a pad, birdcage, solar panels, waterfall, saltwater filter, and underwater lighting is approx. $34000.00.
The down side is that we are "in the process". The Leesburg company that is installing it started like gangbusters but now we haven't had any work done since Thanksgiving. All we have been getting is lip service. Our yard is a mess with mud and all kinds of debris in the pool.
I have faith that it will get done eventually and that we will eventually enjoy it, but in the meantime....

punkpup 01-24-2008 04:47 AM

I thought building a pool wasn't supposed to take that long, I can understand that special stone work, fountains, waterfalls and landscaping can take somewhat longer so when you say 4 months Talk Host do you mean that the entire project including the pool, concrete and birdcage were installed in 4 months or did it take 4 months for them just to build the pool itself?

I wonder.... jmarkohio, are you using the same company as Talk Host?

Talk Host 01-24-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkpup
I thought building a pool wasn't supposed to take that long, I can understand that special stone work, fountains, waterfalls and landscaping can take somewhat longer so when you say 4 months Talk Host do you mean that the entire project including the pool, concrete and birdcage were installed in 4 months or did it take 4 months for them just to build the pool itself?

I wonder.... jmarkohio, are you using the same company as Talk Host?

I think we are both talking about the same company. (In fact I know it) Not long after we had our work done, a home near us on Amberwood golf course had the same company doing a pool. The family finally put up a big sign that everybody could see. The sign said, "This mess was made by ***ted pool company."

Most of the time on our job was spent installing the pool. The concrete work and cage went fairly quickly after the pool was done. It was the pool that took forever. There was a point when weeds had grown up waist high around the hole in the ground. Their customer service ethic is unforgivable in my opinion. In my 60 years, I cannot remember anything that was so infuriating as this project. If they had taken the time to communicate with us, things would have been better, but they never bothered to tell us what was going to happen. They just made us wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait. They did not make us wait however when the next payment was due to them. :(

punkpup 01-24-2008 11:43 AM

Wow! Sounds like a call to the Better Business Bureau at the very least and definitely a call to the Attorney General of Florida. If there are enough complaints an investigation of the offending business might be triggered. I have had to contact the AG's office in regard to consumer protection issues when my mother-in-law had problems with a rather unscrupulous company. There actually had been an ongoing investigation of the offender which was extremely helpful in rectifying the problem.