Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   EZ Way To Remember What Side Your Gas Cap Is On (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/ez-way-remember-what-side-your-gas-cap-11496/)

F16 1UB 01-24-2008 01:54 PM

EZ Way To Remember What Side Your Gas Cap Is On

The next time you get in your vehicle look at the gas gauge and notice the location of the handle on the gas pump symbol. Whatever side the handle is on is the location of your gas cap. Saw this on AOL. One problem though, I'll forget that I even posted this so back to square one. Heh heh

redwitch 01-24-2008 03:05 PM

Re: EZ Way To Remember What Side Your Gas Cap Is On

What a great tip! Let's hope I can remember it the next time I rent a car. Thank you.

Taltarzac 01-24-2008 05:09 PM

I will have to check that out. May see me peeking in some cars though.

Muncle 01-24-2008 05:25 PM

:redface: Tried it on my golf cart. Looked for 10 minutes for the gas gauge before I remembered it was an electric cart. Maybe I'll just go back to bed and wait for Friday. ???

Donna 01-24-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F16 1UB
The next time you get in your vehicle look at the gas gauge and notice the location of the handle on the gas pump symbol. Whatever side the handle is on is the location of your gas cap. Saw this on AOL. One problem though, I'll forget that I even posted this so back to square one. Heh heh

That is a great tip, F16..I am a real ditz with gas caps..http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/blondhair.gif

Sandy222 01-24-2008 07:53 PM

This tip didn't work on our car Buick Rendezvous. Every car that I have checked the gauge shows the handle on the right.... when the gas tank is actually on the right. Oh well life is never easy.

MMC24 01-24-2008 09:56 PM

The handle on my gas gage on my Toyota is on the right but the gas cap is on the left. I guess something was lost in translation from Japanese to English. Si a Nara!

Talk Host 01-24-2008 10:07 PM

Actually, most cars have a small arrow pointing in the direction of the gas cap. The little arrow head is located next to the gas pump symbol on the gas guage. Check it out.

F16 1UB 01-25-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy222
This tip didn't work on our car Buick Rendezvous. Every car that I have checked the gauge shows the handle on the right.... when the gas tank is actually on the right. Oh well life is never easy.

So your gas tank is located where? I'm confused. You're saying the symbol shows the handle on the right and your cap is there too? That's correct then. Although I saw pics of a Rendezvous with a gas cap on the left. Maybe we'll look at windshield washer tanks next. ;D

zcaveman 01-25-2008 03:25 AM

Not true about the location of the handle per Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/icon.asp

F16 1UB 01-25-2008 06:02 PM

Well I'll be. ??? So much for that idea. :dontknow: :redface:

Just Susan 01-28-2008 04:36 AM

Good try F16...it doesn't matter anyway cause you have already forgotten this post. Your ego will remain intact. There is a blessing to aging process.

F16 1UB 01-28-2008 01:46 PM

I just checked my wifes Nissan Maxima. The handle shows on the right but there's an arrow pointing to the left. Jan's suggestion to check for arrow.

So I went out to check my bass boat. 2 gauges here. But wait. The steering wheel is on the right. The gas cap is on the left. One gas gauge has no tank symbol. The other gas gauge shows insert gas company credit card here or 2nd mortgage application here. I give up.

Anyone want to tell me what side the gas cap is on for motorcycles? Never mind. Geesh

Taltarzac 01-28-2008 02:07 PM

Well, other internet how-to idea bites the dust. :o

l2ridehd 01-28-2008 04:52 PM

It does not work for all cars. I use a lot of rental cars and our company contract requires them to be full when returned. So what usually works is most cars have an inside release. Pop it open from inside and check the mirrors. Many times you will see it. If there is no inside release, usually a small cheaper car, then the cover has a finger notch in it. Sometimes you can see those in the mirror. So between all these methods, you can improve your odds of driving to the gas pump and being on the wrong side. Best way though is to look before getting in the rental. I now have a routine where I look for the fuel filling side, adjust seats, mirrors, find lights and wiper controls before moving the car.
True story. Flew into Buffalo one night and jumped in the rental car and pulled out of the airport. A large truck drove by and spashed snow and slush that totally blocked the windshield. I could not find the wiper control. I had several anxious moments before I could see again.